Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How do I know when my truck REGEN's?

35K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  kryan 
#1 ·
Newbie here with a newbie questions.

I purchased my first diesel truck two months ago, 2008 RAM 3500, 6.7 Cummins. In many of the posts I've read owners know exactly when the truck goes in to REGEN and how long it lasts. I read through my owners manual and it mentions a message will display if the PDF is at 80% or higher capacity. The manual didn't mention anything, that I could find, about a REGEN message while it REGENs.

How do I know when my truck REGEN's?

#3 ·
The best way is to have a Pyrometer gauge installed.
The EGT raises to 1200 Plus degrees during Regeneration from the stock 960 degrees.

Reactions: -lenny-
#4 ·
I agree, a pyrometer is the most accurate way to tell when in regen. Watching the lie-o-meter is a good indication, but nowhere near 100% indication. The Edge Insight monitor also tells you when in regen.

#7 ·
in regen my coolant temps spike to ide say 210's, its well beyond the 200 mark etic,

truck can be hot as hell underside.

#9 ·
I've never seen the coolant temps rise during a regen. Back when I had them. :w:

The best way to know you are in regen is to monitor the EGT's.
I have doubts about the insight regen monitor with the the latest J35 flash. I've seen posts of regens almost constantly reported by the Edge. Seems like the flash messed with whatever the Edge is monitoring. I would love to hear from an Edge person that has a pyro probe & J35 flash to confirm the Edge rgen monitor is signalling when it IS in regen. :confused013:

#11 ·
The most recognizable way to identify a regen is under deceleration you will hear a slight engine knock due to the 4th injection taking place, at idle you will hear a consistent turbo whistle just sitting still this is a result in the vgt building back pressure assisting in keeping regen temps up, also your exhaust will be hot as hell so be careful walking past the tail pipe, and in stock form during a regen the truck will run like a bat out of hell. Oh and if you ever turn your truck off during a regen you'll hear a crackling noise from beneath the truck this is from the heat expansion of the metal due to high egts.

#12 ·
Yep, I agree w/ the above on using a EGT guage for the accurate way of monitoring regens. My regens shoot to 1050*/1100* max for me when in active regen then drops to 800*-900* after 15-20 min for a few more minutes, then back to normal cruising EGT of 650*-750*... Seems after the flash I had in October (BB Flash for the '09's), my truck regens heck of a lot more than before. The J35 I have notice nothing different from before (as for regens frequency).

#13 ·
08 6.7 with Edge and Pyrometer.

I have a 6.7 from 08 with Edge Latitude and Pyro installed. I have been noticing my Edge display go into REGEN almost every time I get in the truck and drive away. I always shrugged it off as a Edge controller malfunction, but maybe not. After reading this thread I remember last time I was driving my truck and I was unable to get the EGT under 1200F. WTF? I have made a appointment with the local dealership to get the new flash for the ECM. I have been reluctant to do it becuase I have to take the Edge out. Every dealership I have gone to for oil changes never said a word about my chip, cold air intake or airbags.

Anything I should be concerned about with this new flash? I do intend on putting the Edge back in after.

#15 ·
I ask the same question every time this kind of post pops up and never get an answer. Why do you want or need to know when it's in regen?

#22 ·
I use The Edge Insight to monitor exhaust temp(from existing sensors),trans temp, boost. etc. I see the exhaust temp increase to just over 1200 deg. I don't see any real engine temp changes. When I'm on the road during a regen I don't see a drastic MPG drop, maybe .5-1 mpg. Since I've had the Edge I see that my truck regularly regens every 75-100 miles. I don't get the Regen indicator that is on the Edge but I always have the exhaust temp as one of the gauges displayed.

#26 ·
I guess I don't "NEED" to know. I just want to. I guess I want to see how often it happens. Why couldn't you put a small light on the dash, hooked to something. I don't know what. some sort of signal line. There has to be some kind of signal that travels some wire that tells the computer when to start a regen? Maybe you could help in that respect. I'd just like to be able to be driving along, and see the light come on and know it's in regen. I'd be curious to see how often it comes on.

#27 ·
Can't help u there, I don't do any mods, I'm a dealer tech but not for dodge. And I think it's much more complicated than what ur thinking. The sensors tell the ECM what's going on as far as temp and pressure, then the ECM just starts adding fuel on the exhaust stroke. The ECM doesn't have to send a signal anywhere else. It's all internal. You could just use a pyro in the pipe to dpf or your edge monitor.
I didnt mean to start a war, was just trying to understand why so much effort was being put into being able to know. Driving can be tiring in itself without having to worry about emissions.

#28 ·
I agree on the light idea, a green light would have been good, if nothing else to say hey, it's working, keep on trucking. Isuzu and med duty trucks have that. I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.