Show your drops!!! - Page 101 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2wd Suspension Discussion Pretty obvious, forum just for the 2wd guys!....NO ADVERTISING!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1201 of 1208 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 AM
-

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Ndaniels,

I am following your exploits closely!

Just for reference, my truck with the stock tires (LT265/70R17), sits at 34.0" inches front and 36.0" rear at the top of the middle of the wheel wells.
1/2 coil trimmed front coils. Both rear spacers removed from the rear leaves.

The 3rd Gen frame is fully enclosed. It's not a open C-channel like in the out board air bag install instructions.
One would likely have to weld the air bag frame brackets in place.

The instructions don't mention the width of the leaf springs. Be careful with that.

BTW, when I had my air bags, I ran the shrader valves to the fuel filler opening behind the fuel filler door.
The insert is plastic and very easy to drill to install the shrader valves.

I was able to jump out of the truck flip open the fuel filler door and check air bag pressures with a gauge.
Plus with a small 12V air compressor, I could plug it into the 12V socket on the dash and quickly fill up the air bags.

Installing the air bag shrader valves at the back of the truck makes no sense to me.

2004.5 Dodge SB QC 2500 2wd Cummins 600/6spd manual/3.73 LSD

ATS 3K/5K Twin turbos. DDP 50HP tips, F1 valve springs, ARP headstuds.
SBC Dual disk 3250. Smarty. Glacier Diesel intake plate, air horn, fuel & filter system.
MBRP S.S. muffler. BD short shifter. Brakesmart tow controller.
BD exhaust brake. Pullrite 24k Superglide.
The Following User Says Thank You to StealthDiesel For This Useful Post:
ndaniels (08-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1208 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Hey Stelth, I'll definetly keep you in the loop as figure it out.

Friend of mine with a lowered Chevy does the same thing with his fuel door and the cig lighter air compressor. That works well and is an easy install. I have onboard air for my eb along with a 3 gallon air tank, so I mounted a manual inflator paddle and gauge under my center seat bottom, so I can adjust it from the cab.

I've owned a few second gens, and the springs are the same width, so that should be ok. At this point I'm figuring on welding it to my b&w hitch frame, but will see how this lines up. I found some pictures of an install a guy did on his 4x4 with this kit and he welded it.

2007.5 RED quadcab, 2wd, G56, SouthBend sdd, 625s, Exergy 10mm cp3 w/60% overs, cast 467.7/83/.9, BD inline brake, Hamilton 103 springs w/e.duty pushrods, Caltracs, Anarchy autocal 743/1502
The Following User Says Thank You to ndaniels For This Useful Post:
StealthDiesel (08-22-2016)
post #1203 of 1208 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Diesel Freak

So I ordered that kit this past week and figured out how to install it Saturday. Measured everything out and figured that I needed to cut 1" out of one side of the lower bracket to get the angle to match the upper bracket. Oh, and I had to mount the upper at a slight tilt because of the b&w hitch. Figured that I can weld the upper bracket directly to the hitch and not affect frame strength at all.

So today I went up to the farm and had a guy I work with weld it all up for me. I'm a good mechanic but not much for welding. This has to be a lot stronger than Firestone's method of bolting the upper thru the c channel frame on the older trucks. He welded both outside and inside of the bracket. The only thing I really had to modify was cut and weld the park cable bracket to the upper mount on the drivers side.

Clearance could be a factor for bigger wheels and tires but I'll get better measurements and figure up what I can do. This was a lot easier than I expected and I'm really happy with the results. Figure I can sell my old bag setup and sulastics to help offset the cost of the new bags.

2007.5 RED quadcab, 2wd, G56, SouthBend sdd, 625s, Exergy 10mm cp3 w/60% overs, cast 467.7/83/.9, BD inline brake, Hamilton 103 springs w/e.duty pushrods, Caltracs, Anarchy autocal 743/1502
The Following User Says Thank You to ndaniels For This Useful Post:
StealthDiesel (08-28-2016)
post #1204 of 1208 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Diesel Freak

I had a chance to try it out towing this past week.

Picked up a material handling fan (2k lbs) with a bumper pull car trailer (another 2k) and loaded it on the nose of the trailer- figured might as well try these bags out. Had to inflate he bags to 40psi to level it, but I was stupid heavy on the hitch for what little weight it was. Made the 3.5hr drive back no problems. Made for a pretty stable ride thru the turns in wv. A section of 35 here in Ohio has horrible concrete and got it into a rhythm that was awful at 73mph and no amount of adjusting the bag pressure would smooth it out- but it's my fault because of all the tongue weight.

One thing I'm going to do is add the mopar finned diff cover. I was suprised the rearend was as warm as it was, but it makes sense since its out of the airflow more now.

First impressions is it looks like this should be a good way for a guy to still tow and be able to go lower in the rear. Still have to hook to the gn and see how it does with more weight.

post #1205 of 1208 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:03 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by john burdine View Post
2004 2wd... thick flat overload on the bottom removed, 1 block on each side removed and a slight de-arc. I'm adding Air Lift bags for towing.

Awesome. This would be something I would go after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1206 of 1208 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:48 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'm seeing people are cutting 1/2 -1 coil on the front coils springs, and maybe I missed it, but how much drop is gained by cutting 1/2 coil. 2500? And 3500? Thx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1207 of 1208 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaniels View Post
So I ordered that kit this past week and figured out how to install it Saturday. Measured everything out and figured that I needed to cut 1" out of one side of the lower bracket to get the angle to match the upper bracket. Oh, and I had to mount the upper at a slight tilt because of the b&w hitch. Figured that I can weld the upper bracket directly to the hitch and not affect frame strength at all.

So today I went up to the farm and had a guy I work with weld it all up for me. I'm a good mechanic but not much for welding. This has to be a lot stronger than Firestone's method of bolting the upper thru the c channel frame on the older trucks. He welded both outside and inside of the bracket. The only thing I really had to modify was cut and weld the park cable bracket to the upper mount on the drivers side.

Clearance could be a factor for bigger wheels and tires but I'll get better measurements and figure up what I can do. This was a lot easier than I expected and I'm really happy with the results. Figure I can sell my old bag setup and sulastics to help offset the cost of the new bags.

which/what kit is this?

2003 3500 QCLB 48re billet everything 63/68/.91 T4 2cnd gen Steed Speed Fass 150 Beans sump 5" 1-piece driveshaft 120 hp nozzles 103 lb.springs Trend pushrods ARP 425's TurboSmart bov Smarty UDC 20x9 Novakanes Carli balljoints 2008.5 steering
post #1208 of 1208 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Diesel Freak

It's a firestone 2071 kit. http://riderite.com/-/media/www/ride...lManual_EN.pdf

I just modified the lower bracket some to match my spring/top mount angle. Works really good. Towed the gn some with it and was pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2wd-suspension-discussion/147862-show-your-drops.html
Posted By For Type Date
2wd Suspension Discussion on Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 05-15-2013 11:07 AM