Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What oil does everyone run?

4K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  Duluth Diesel 
#1 ·
I have been trying to search on here its 2 am and i canr find anything on oil fpr some reason:thud: just wondering what type of oil everyone runs or if someone can send me a link for the an oil discussion because im sure there are tons but i cant find crap. thanks

#35 ·
Rotella does the trick for myself. Just about every piece of heavy equipment out there and most semi's run it with fine results. The price is also right.
Fleetgaurd filters from Cummins store.
My dad has a 98.5 Cummins with 200,000 miles. All he has ever run is just plain esso 15w40 and his truck is as strong as ever, uses no oil and gets way better fuel mileage then mine.
Unless you are going extended drain intervals I do not see how you are going to benefit from the more expensive Synthetics. The cost is just too high unless you are running a bypass system and doing analysis often to determine when to change.
Most guys will never keep a truck long enough to benefit from the extra 100k that these more expensive oils may provide you.
Guys are running 500k on Dino oils with cummins and no problems.
It amazes me how involved guys get with oils on some of these forums.

#37 ·
We've done the math many times on these forums. If you want to actually save money and reduce downtime, you can. The longer drain intervals of higher grade products actually reduces your per mile operation cost. Some oils are cheap up front, but you change them more frequently. Same goes for low cost filters. Some oils/filters cost more up front, but longer intervals actually reduce the material cost when weighed per mile, and reduce downtime. There is a lot more "cost" to be considered then just what the sticker price is. We all paid a premium for our Cummins trucks for a reason, and that high initial sticker price is worth the longevity, performance, and reliability.

-Chuck

#38 ·
Oh I agree completely. Never said that Amsoil and others weren't a higher quality. I could see the cost being effective over a long term but for myself I don't think i'll have my truck long enough for that to work in my favour.
I know a guy doing extended drain intervals with Amsoil on his. He goes over 20,000 miles if I remember right and really praised it. He would change his filter a couple times during this period.
I did consider doing this as well but I have extended warranty and feel sticking to the maintenance schedule is important for it. I don't want to give them reasons to void it. I use my truck for work and it is very important to me.
Ryan

#39 ·
Fair enough, Ryan, I understand where you're coming from. Just wanted to make the logic on both options clear to all those reading this thread. Low up-front cost doesn't mean you're saving money, and there are more factors than just sticker price that have to be weighed when making this decision.

-Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.