Cummins Diesel Forum banner

block heater cord

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  winn99 
#1 ·
i bought a mopar heater cord. plugged into block by oil filter an ran cord to front bumper. cord had another plug on it. didn't see where it would plug in. any ideas?

#4 ·
Im not sure exactly degree wise but my dads truck in just a little warm but not too hot to touch. All I know is it starts right up on a 10 degree night...

#5 ·
28 degrees you don't really need to be plugged in. At that temp your grid heater probably won't even cycle (assuming the truck was plugged in). I don't plug my truck in till the temp is in the mid teens. This past week was right around -40* here, and I have my truck on a timer so the power does not turn on till 4 AM, and I leave at 7:30. It won't get warm enough to show temp on the gauge, but the truck starts just fine. Having it plugged in for a long time won't hurt anything, it just wastes electricity.

#7 ·
yeah i have a timer for 330-530 and i know it will start fine at low temps without the heater but its a lot better for the motor when the block is warm. correct? i didnt notice it registering on the gauge at startup like you said but it def reached 190 quicker once it started

#9 ·
The grid heater will not cycle at all in warmer temps, somewhere around 55* or so. I have had my truck plugged in when it didn't get very cold, but still below freezing, and the truck was warm enought that the grid heater did not come on at all. It has its own indicator light.

Reactions: hayhaulercummins
#11 ·
okay. i new the wait to start light wont come on when block is warm but i didnt know there was a sensor that kept them from cycling when it was warm. i always heard u should always wait for a few seconds to start regardless of temp, is there no truth to this. have i been wasting time

#13 ·
If I dont wait for the rail to fill up mine either wont crank on the first try or it will spin over about twice as long as it should. Does it help at all to plug it in for warm up? It dont get much below freezing here in NC but I was thinking it might help mileage if it isnt idleing in the driveway for 15 mins before I leave. On my Ford the heat would be working as soon as you fired it up if you plugged it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.