Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I Did It!!!g56 Gear Rollover About Gone!!!

30K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Danderson 
#1 · (Edited)
Well...finally got enough of the G56 Gear Rollover after the removal of my DMF, i took some advice and added 1 QT of Lucas Transmission Fix...It says it's compatible with all trans fluids and light duty manual trannys also. I removed a plug at the top of my tranny and just added 1 QT of the Lucas, did not remove any fluid...Now for the good part, i notice a tremendous difference, about 40 to 50 percent of the gear rollover is gone, it shifts great and even seems quiter in neutral..seems to have lost some of the neutral rattle....I'v only put about 20 miles on it since i added it, but so far im satisfied...im thinking about adding another half QT maybe a hole one..Ill report back when i get some more miles on the fluid addition..:party018: :drool2: :headbang:

#3 ·
Will do..can't stop smiling, that gear rollover was about to drive me crazy...I just hope the tranny keeps liking it.. :party018:

#4 ·
Be careful if you overfilled it too much. You could be creating bubbles in the oil which reduces shear/lubrication and increases temperature...

Reactions: roo
#5 ·
Subscribed

but question where or who did you get the idea to add the lucas fluid with out taking any out. I like the LESS rollover noise but like mentioned if the fluid level gets to high it will aerate and loose lubrication properties.

#7 · (Edited)
I had a buddy that had read somewhere that some guys where removing a sensor up top of the tranny and adding 2 qts due to some rear bearing oiling issues. Some guys had reported rear bearings burning up. They were saying the fluid level from Chrysler was not adaquite and all was good after the fluid level increase... not sure if thats the case with the G56..(May not be a bad idea to drop a qt before adding the Lucas) :confused013:

#12 ·
When the G56 was first introduced it had issues with failures and a hold was put on building anymore trucks with the manual until the cause was found to be not enough oil, so they raised the level and that failure stopped.

#8 ·
:thumbsup:very interesting definately worth checking out thanks for sharing bud

#9 ·
#10 ·
Your the Man :thumbsup:

#11 · (Edited)
Fyi

I paid $12 at Napa for a Qt....It was a pain to get in their, had to do some rigging with some tube and heated the fluid in some hot water to help it flow a bit better (Very Thick) but all was well worth it!!!

#13 ·
Almost

Well!!!!! I made a 40 to 50 mile trip and got some heat in my tranny and not so good news for the gear rollover...i guess i jump the gun (SORRY!!) i can't seem to tell much difference at all :banghead: i guess once my fluid got heated up and thined down, it was back to the same ole same ole :banghead::doh: i even went to Jiffy Lube Saterday and had them suck the old over filled stuff out and put 5 qts of ATF and one qt of Lucas in and i saw very little difference if any (SORRY!!!) Maybe someone will come out with something :confused013:

#14 ·
I would try some Savlon oil additive. It is very expensive, but I've seen it quite down some very noisy engines before. It might be a hit, you can use it in your gear boxes and tranny as well.

#15 ·
There's often confusion as to when the G56 was introduced. The G56 was rolled into production alongside the NV5600 during 2005, where it eventually replaced the New Venture. The transmission was not a selectable option for 2005, you either got the NV or the G56. The aluminum transmission is much lighter than the cast iron NV5600, and has a higher input capacity. There are many reliable issues with the G56 in cases where engine power is increased. The cases and gears are known to crack, typically due to flex under heavy load. The G56 also has a relatively short overdrive ratio, which increases engine rpm at cruising speeds. Beyond that, the transmission is smooth shifting and reliable in unmodified pickups. Some argue that using ATF+4 to lubricate the transmission, as Chrysler recommends, can cause it to fail prematurely. Mercedes-Benz recommends a thicker 75W or 90W gear oil in their trucks that are equipped with the G56. It is debatable whether anything is gained by switching to a 75W/90W gear oil, but many owners choose to do so. A tooth was removed from the input shaft gear for the 2007.5 model year, resulting in a ratio change for the 6.7L Cummins version. When equipped in 6.7L applications, torque was derated for to 610 lb-ft for 2007.5 to 2012 model years, and has been derated to 660 lb-ft for 2013 to current model years.
G56 GEAR RATIOS

R
2005 - 2007 MY
6.29 : 1
3.48 : 1
2.10 : 1
1.38 : 1
1.00 : 1
0.79 : 1
6.29 : 1
2007.5 + MY
5.94 : 1
3.28 : 1
1.98 : 1
1.31 : 1
1.00 : 1
0.74 : 1
5.42 : 1

G56 SPECS
Transmission:
G56 6 speed manual
Manufacturer:
Mercedes-Benz
Production Run:
2005 - current Dodge Ram
Transmission Weight:
200 - 225 lbs
Oil Capacity:
4 quarts
Additional Specs:
? Cast aluminum case.
? Designed for light and medium duty truck applications. Used in Mercedes medium duty trucks.
? Higher input torque capacity than NV5600.
? Manufactured in Brazil.
? Mercedes-Benz recommends SAE 75W/90W gear oil, while Dodge/Ram recommends ATF+4.

#18 ·
05's got the NV5600. UP to 12/05 production date

05.5's got the G56. Production date 1/05 and later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.