Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2006 Ram 2500 radio install

19K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OCVeloMan 
#1 ·
I all, I have a 2006 2500 Quad Cab Lone Star Edition that has the factory 1.5 DIN size radio. I would like to replace it with a Double DIN radio, so I can also use the screen with a backup camera, as there seems to be a very limited choice of head units in the 1.5 DIN size.

From what I understand doing research, the bezel from 2006 to 2008 are the same fit. So I was planning on buying a new bezel that would be for the nav unit, and the install kit for it.

Does anyone have a pic of the dash without the bezel installed? I'm assuming that on my truck there is just a big opening that both the radio and small compartment underneath just screw in on the sides, am I right on this?

On a side note, I listen to Sirius more than I do FM radio, but if the HU I buy will read MP3's it will also get an equal amount of playing time. I'm not really interested in a NAV unit , any suggestions on a head unit?

Ted

#2 ·
Yes, you're correct. I just did the conversion in my 06' ram 2500. The 2008 bezel fits great but you will need a Metra dash kit as well (the bezel needs to clip into the dash kit in two places.) I just bought my Pioneer Avic-U310bt and LOVE it. Bought mine for 400 and it comes with built in navigation, bluetooth, and fire-wire ipod integration.

Click Here and scroll down for some pics of the stereo:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/196172-finally-im-happy-look-my-truck.html

:headbang:

#3 ·
Thanks.
The install looks good.
What Metra dash kit number would I need, any idea. When I go to the Crutchfield site it is wanting me to input my data and then tell me the double DIN radio I want won't fit. I might have to just call them.
That's a good lookin truck you got there.

#4 · (Edited)
Here is the dash without bezel and all the mess of wiring

And the finished Alpine unit

Make sure you get EVERYTHING to do it....antenna extension, IPOD adaptor, backup camera unit ect...and even run the video cables in and out if your unit has them, it is much easier to fish the wires that are wrapped up from under the seat than to remove dash and pull all of the crap back out (and I marked all of the wires and what they were too)

Almost forgot, I hid my XM unit under the center console unit, that way if there were any issues it could be reached without pulling the dash apart and also it just wouldn't fit in behind the new unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.