need 5th wheel hitch 2014 dodge 2500 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2013+ General Discussion
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
need 5th wheel hitch 2014 dodge 2500

Looking for 5th wheel hitches for my 2014 2500 heavy duty ram truck and I do not have the Ram prep package and looking at a 40-45 ft toyhaualer I was going for the 3500 ram but dealer talked me out of it and I am kicking myself now worrying I bought my new truck and not be able to use it for full time Rving

Last edited by stretch548; 01-24-2014 at 09:30 PM.
stretch548 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,561 Times in 949 Posts
What are you going to be towing? That'll tell you what "weight carrying" amount 5er hitch you need to look at, (ie, 16K, 18K, etc)....Do you have a short bed or long bed truck? That may also effect what your final choice is. Long bed truck doesn't need a slider hitch or one that will move front to back as you make a sharp turn...Some don't use sliders with short bed trucks...I hit my rear cab once when making a sharp curve... I had a slider hitch, but didn't use it...(on me)...I think it's better to have a hitch that will slide in a short bed truck and not need it, then NOT to have one and need it...It only takes ONE time to do damage to the truck and/or the 5er...

Any reputable place in or around you that sell's and installs hitches would be a good place to look if someone else is going to be putting it in for you. If you're going to install it yourself, look on the internet and check out where "free shipping" is offered...they can be heavy, (with rails/brackets and hitch could go 200#)...as well as expensive. MOPAR and Camping World, are more expensive than places that actually sell and install them for a living.

Do you have the GN/5er prep package in your truck bed? This would help us give you information on the picture frame adapter or other manufactuerers answer to the GN/5er prep package that Ram put on these trucks.

Just need a little information
2013 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/4:10/Aisin/Longhorn Prairie Pearl Coat
2006 HR 37RLQ 5th wheel, 16,950#
Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NC Hauler For This Useful Post:
daMonk (01-24-2014), jack0351 (11-01-2013)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looking for 5th wheel hitches for my 2014 2500 heavy duty ram truck and I do not have the Ram prep package and looking at a 40-45 ft toyhaualer I was going for the 3500 ram but dealer talked me out of it and I am kicking myself now worrying I bought my new truck and not be able to use it for full time Rving
Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
What are you going to be towing? That'll tell you what "weight carrying" amount 5er hitch you need to look at, (ie, 16K, 18K, etc)....Do you have a short bed or long bed truck? That may also effect what your final choice is. Long bed truck doesn't need a slider hitch or one that will move front to back as you make a sharp turn...Some don't use sliders with short bed trucks...I hit my rear cab once when making a sharp curve... I had a slider hitch, but didn't use it...(on me)...I think it's better to have a hitch that will slide in a short bed truck and not need it, then NOT to have one and need it...It only takes ONE time to do damage to the truck and/or the 5er...

Any reputable place in or around you that sell's and installs hitches would be a good place to look if someone else is going to be putting it in for you. If you're going to install it yourself, look on the internet and check out where "free shipping" is offered...they can be heavy, (with rails/brackets and hitch could go 200#)...as well as expensive. MOPAR and Camping World, are more expensive than places that actually sell and install them for a living.

Do you have the GN/5er prep package in your truck bed? This would help us give you information on the picture frame adapter or other manufactuerers answer to the GN/5er prep package that Ram put on these trucks.

Just need a little information
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

40' to 45' 5er could really get up there in weight...What is the GVW of the 5er you're looking at? To get an idea of payload, take approx. 20% of the GVW of the 5er and it'll give you an idea of how much pin weight you'll be putting in the bed of your truck. May be too much 5er for a 14' 2500....but again, I don't know the GVW of your 5er...you can pick out a Reese hitch, Curt, or go with a drop in ball and the new Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch..but first, you need to know what the GVW of your 5er is....My 5er has a GVW of 17,000#, and I'm using a 20K Reese Signature 5er hitch....Without prep package, you can put just about whatever you want into your truck now....
Viet Nam Vet
Old 01-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch548 View Post
Gee's Stretch. Why did the dealer talk you out of the 3500. Was it because he didn't have a 3500 on the lot? He did you a dis-service.

My guess is that as a minimum you will have to get air bags to keep the rear end off the ground. Then pay close attention to your tire ratings. That's a huge 5er. NC Hauler is right on. The GVW is important.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I pull a 39 ft Keystone Alpine 3600rs 5th wheel camper. It is 15500 lb class, and I am happy that I have a DRW truck to pull with. The biggest issue is the stability of the DRW. My camper is 12 ft 9 in tall, and pulls great with the 3.73 gears in my 2012. Be careful of your GCVWR. My weights are truck only: steer axle 5120 lbs, drive axle 3660 lbs, for a total of 8780 lbs
Truck & camper with dry tanks. Steer axle 5120 lbs max 5500 lbs, drive axle 6140 lbs with max of 9350 lbs, Trailer axles 10420 lbs. total dry weight of 21680 lbs. these numbers were from CAT Scale weight tickets. I highly advise getting real weights, as the supposed numbers are never accurate!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
kevinc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

when shopping for my new truck, the payload weight was what really drove me to a 3500 over the 2500. The 2500 has the rear springs, etc - but I needed the payload.

with the 2500, as an example - the 4x4 Crew Cab Short bed is limited to about 2250lbs - so if that's ~20% of your total weight, your 5th wheel can only weigh around 11,000 lbs. that's about the 30' range when I was looking around

in contrast, the 3500 with a similar configuration as about a 4k payload - which makes for the capability to pull about a 20k 5th wheel (or, more than you can actually pull which is around 17k).

so while the 2500 could pull an average 5th wheel, it put me real close to max payload, something I wasn't overly comfortable with. and with the 3500 only about $800 more - it just didn't make a lot of sense.

having said all of that - if I HAD a 2500, I would just look for a newer 30-35ft 5th wheel. a lot of the newer ones are lighter - especially something like the Heartland series. Although you will be close to weight (or maybe even a little over) your biggest limiter will be the payload, not the towing capacity.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I have a 41' Toyhauler, GVWR 19,000#. You should have a 3500, 2500 will NOT be rated high enough to pull it.
SRW might do it, with the newer, higher ratings, but a DRW would be better.

Your dealer really screwed you over, but..... you should have done your homework before hand, and KNOWN that a 2500 is NOT big enough, for that big a trailer.

1. Figure out which EXACT trailer you want. Then, you KNOW what you need to pull it. If you stay with a 40+ ft. toyhauler, I am sure it will be at least a 3500 SRW, if not a DRW.

2. Then, trade your 2500 back in for the 3500 you need.

3. Or, down size the trailer enough that you can pull it with the 2500.

Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch548 View Post
I pulled a 43' toy hauler with my 2010 2500 with air bags. The rig weighed around 18,000 lbs, pin weight of 3500. It did fine, but my trips were short, 180 mi max and I only pulled it 4 - 5 times a year, usually 70 miles one way.

A 3500 dually would be better, and that is what I traded for.

If you are talking about a few short trips a year, put airbags on the truck and you will be ok. When not pulling that 2500 will be much nicer to drive.
ranchertx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Agree with last two post...still haven't heard what the GVW on the 5er is that you're wanting , but I'd highly recommend going with a lighter 5er or getting a 3500 Dually.....and I'd hang the reason on your idiot of a dealer.....I'd asked him just how much he knows about the trucks he's selling....sounds like a blithering idiot that needs to cleaning the vehicles on the lot instead of selling them....

One more time though....Do you know what the GVW of the 40-45' 5er is that you're wanting to get...I can't imagine trying to tow something that long on mountainous curvy terrain without a dually....having towed the same 5er with both SRW and DRW truck, "I" could tell the difference in stability when it comes to towing a longer heavier 5er.....
Viet Nam Vet
Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I would point out that things always work until something goes wrong - or as my military phrase goes, a plan is only good until first contact with the enemy.

putting 3500lbs into the bed of a ram 2500 which has a max payload of 2250 is just a bad idea. Will it work? sure. can you do short trips? absolutely. but that extra 1000lbs in the bed is going to make for an awful rough ride on your truck and your trailer, and can potentially cause catastrophic failure - which, if they decide to investigate - you will wind up being responsible for because you grossly exceeded the capacity of your tow vehicle.

for some examples on current toy haulers, the Heartland Cyclone comes in a variety of packages - from a 30' to about 42'.
- the CY2812 is 31', has a 12' garage, and weighs 9k empty - well within the ~11k you could handle with a new 2500. you could load about 2k into it and still be within limits - so that could be a couple bikes and camping gear, etc. you would be close - but I think the truck would pull it fine, because again - you're fighting max payload, not max towing capacity.
- the CY3110 is 38', has a 10' garage, and weighs 13k empty - already outside of the max payload capacity of a 2500 - before putting anything in it.

another option would be to look at a tow trailer instead of a 5th wheel. The trade-off is you can pull 17k, and tongue weight isn't anywhere close to the weight you put on the truck with a 5th wheel, but you wind up with more 'swaying' because it isn't centered over that rear axle but instead on the back of the truck.
- the Torque TQ290 is 36', 10ft garage and weighs 8400. so while you would wind up with more sway (which can be mitigated by sway bars) you wouldn't have the payload capacity issues of the 2500.

so really, like others have mentioned it depends on what trailer you have - newer ones are lighter. If you don't have one yet you can - by scaling your expectations - find one that will most likely meet your needs and still be manageable by a 2500. IF you have a trailer already, or have a very specific one in mind - you have to adjust your truck to the trailer, and will mean replacing with a 3500 if it's too much weight. you either adjust the truck to the trailer, or the trailer to the truck - but with 5th wheels, the payload capacity of the tow vehicle really does limit your max weight of the trailer.

I also agree with one of the above posters - a DRW, while not required (a SRW 3500 is rated right about the same as the DRW), is nice for anything over 14-15k because of the stability it provides. Many experienced 5th wheelers have posted their experience when moving to a DRW is night and day. The trade-off with that is you then end up with a much more bulky truck, and if it's your daily driver it can get in the way of drive-ins, etc.

so as many others have asked - what is the trailer you have? if you don't have one, and do have the 2500, I would recommend looking for trailers under 10k lbs so you don't overload your rig - even if it means giving up about 5 feet of trailer and 'settling' for a 30-34 footer. That extra 6' of trailer is worth the peace of mind you would get having a trailer within the capacity of your truck.

btw - I only use heartland for basic analysis because their info is easily available on the web site. YMMV with other vendors, and you may find other manufacturers are lighter or heavier.

one thing I do know - glad I did the research ahead of time and figured out I needed a 3500. Had I gone into a dealer prior to reading here and irv2.com, I would have chosen a 2500 because of the upgrades with the springs etc. I try to warn others to do the same - if you THINK you will need more truck, it's a pretty safe bet to get the next size up. the price difference is pretty marginal when you are talking even the basic models of ~30k
daMonk (01-25-2014), jack0351 (04-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.