2014 Ram HD to have 6.4 Hemi - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -


Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2013+ General Discussion
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Clinton,mo
Posts: 293
Thanks: 130
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2014 Ram HD to have 6.4 Hemi

Can you imagine the gas milage that the 6.4 Hemi will get. Nice to have options but not for me

See below link

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/2014-heavy-duty.html
__________________
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC/4x4 SLT/BH/6.7 Cummins/Automatic/3:42 Rear Axle Ratio/Deep Cherry Red Crystal Red Pearl Coat/2FZ Package/Tech Group/comforte Group/Remote Start/Back up Camera/Tube Steps/Drop in Bed Liner/chrome AVS Bug Shield/Build Date 3-2013/Stock
2014 Wolf Pack 28WP Limited TT TH 7500 lbs Dry
2014 Polaris 850 XP LE Touring
2012 Mazda 3i Touring 40 mpg

Last edited by Turbo Crazy; 07-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Turbo Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Moto Evolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TAX HELL
Posts: 244
Thanks: 6
Thanked 54 Times in 40 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Crazy View Post
Can you imagine the gas milage that the 6.4 Hemi will get. Nice to have options but not for me
I imagine that it will get just as good or better than the current 5.7 liter.
__________________
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L Auto
Moto Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto Evolution For This Useful Post:
w tx. iceman (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak
 
Scott_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 529
Thanks: 83
Thanked 97 Times in 75 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Could pass everything but a gas station !!
Scott_85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Clinton,mo
Posts: 293
Thanks: 130
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Evolution View Post
I imagine that it will get just as good or better than the current 5.7 liter.
Which isn't that good.

That thead also said that 2014 2500s will be going to a 5 link coil over suspension in the rear. That seems hard to believe that the 5 link could handle the same payload. My Hemi 1500s wold squat pretty easy. Maybe the help of the new air bag suspension system will make it all work. Ram is not taking a break,that's for sure.
__________________
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC/4x4 SLT/BH/6.7 Cummins/Automatic/3:42 Rear Axle Ratio/Deep Cherry Red Crystal Red Pearl Coat/2FZ Package/Tech Group/comforte Group/Remote Start/Back up Camera/Tube Steps/Drop in Bed Liner/chrome AVS Bug Shield/Build Date 3-2013/Stock
2014 Wolf Pack 28WP Limited TT TH 7500 lbs Dry
2014 Polaris 850 XP LE Touring
2012 Mazda 3i Touring 40 mpg
Turbo Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
67guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 7,861
Thanks: 2,204
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,866 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Moto Evolution is right -- It has a lot of enhancements. I wouldn't be surprised if it does as well as the 5.7L does in regards to MPG:

From Allpar:

The 6.4 liter Hemi truck engines

"For trucks, durability and a broad torque curve take priority over sheer horsepower. Taking cues from Mopar engineers of the distant past, the designers used sodium-filled exhaust valves and tougher valve seat materials; because of heat issues, they also used aircraft-grade stainless steel exhaust gaskets and fasteners, and oil jets for cooling the pistons. A robust high-volume oil cooler and revised PCV system (integrated in the intake manifold) increase oil efficiency. Computational fluid dynamics were used to optimizing the cooling circuit.

An active dual-runner-length intake manifold helps boost both low-end and high-end power, an old Mopar trick based on maximizing the natural “supercharger effect” of the manifold.

The engine has a cooled EGR system for greater efficiency, cylinder deactivation for economy, PVC integrated into the intake, and a floating pin on the systems. The engine has a cast iron block and forged steel crank. At launch on 2014 Rams, it was hooked up to the 66RFE automatic transmission (with the Aisin optional).

On Ram chassis cabs with a gross vehicle weight rating over 10,000 pounds, the 6.4 is rated at 367 hp at 4,600 rpm."

I'm personally interested in it.

-Guzzler
67guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Clinton,mo
Posts: 293
Thanks: 130
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
Moto Evolution is right -- It has a lot of enhancements. I wouldn't be surprised if it does as well as the 5.7L does in regards to MPG:

From Allpar:

The 6.4 liter Hemi truck engines

"For trucks, durability and a broad torque curve take priority over sheer horsepower. Taking cues from Mopar engineers of the distant past, the designers used sodium-filled exhaust valves and tougher valve seat materials; because of heat issues, they also used aircraft-grade stainless steel exhaust gaskets and fasteners, and oil jets for cooling the pistons. A robust high-volume oil cooler and revised PCV system (integrated in the intake manifold) increase oil efficiency. Computational fluid dynamics were used to optimizing the cooling circuit.

An active dual-runner-length intake manifold helps boost both low-end and high-end power, an old Mopar trick based on maximizing the natural “supercharger effect” of the manifold.

The engine has a cooled EGR system for greater efficiency, cylinder deactivation for economy, PVC integrated into the intake, and a floating pin on the systems. The engine has a cast iron block and forged steel crank. At launch on 2014 Rams, it was hooked up to the 66RFE automatic transmission (with the Aisin optional).

On Ram chassis cabs with a gross vehicle weight rating over 10,000 pounds, the 6.4 is rated at 367 hp at 4,600 rpm."

I'm personally interested in it.

-Guzzler
My 2012 Hemi 4wd would never get 18 mpg on the highway like the window sticker Said .My 2500 gets better gas milage than my Hemi did and I can pull anything. I do miss that soft ride on the 1500 with the 5 link rear end. That's all i miss.
__________________
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC/4x4 SLT/BH/6.7 Cummins/Automatic/3:42 Rear Axle Ratio/Deep Cherry Red Crystal Red Pearl Coat/2FZ Package/Tech Group/comforte Group/Remote Start/Back up Camera/Tube Steps/Drop in Bed Liner/chrome AVS Bug Shield/Build Date 3-2013/Stock
2014 Wolf Pack 28WP Limited TT TH 7500 lbs Dry
2014 Polaris 850 XP LE Touring
2012 Mazda 3i Touring 40 mpg
Turbo Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
67guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 7,861
Thanks: 2,204
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,866 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Crazy View Post
My 2012 Hemi 4wd would never get 18 mpg on the highway like the window sticker Said .My 2500 gets better gas milage than my Hemi did and I can pull anything. I do miss that soft ride on the 1500 with the 5 link rear end. That's all i miss.
I have a "wait and see" attitude. I'm not ready to judge based upon any of the 5.7L implementations. It might be dog or it might not.

Time will tell.

-Guzzler
67guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
Tuffguy707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canton,Ohio
Posts: 2,573
Thanks: 31
Thanked 124 Times in 105 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
I have a "wait and see" attitude. I'm not ready to judge based upon any of the 5.7L implementations. It might be dog or it might not.

Time will tell.

-Guzzler
I agree 100%. Only time will tell. It's not like the old days where the bigger engines got horrible gas milage. If that was the case there wouldn't be the 6.4. Ram knows people are concerned with milage. Also just because its a bigger engine doesn't mean it will get worse milage. My 2000 ram I had had the v-10 and it got better milage than my uncles 360 in the exact same truck.
__________________
2013 3500 srw Laramie limited 4x4 crew long bed black on black aisin . Hornblasters train horns. Bone stock and staying that way

Previous rams 2000 2500 slt + qc lb 4x4 v-10, 03 qc lb 2500 4x4 hemi Laramie, 07 3500 qc lb 4x4 5.9 ctd Laramie. All have been black
Tuffguy707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Clinton,mo
Posts: 293
Thanks: 130
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
I have a "wait and see" attitude. I'm not ready to judge based upon any of the 5.7L implementations. It might be dog or it might not.

Time will tell.

-Guzzler
Well we can't say that Ram is not giving us options in the Ram engine dept. I think only three of the below options are for the HD series. The last 3. Correct me if I am wrong.

3.6
3.0 Turbo Diesel
4.7 (dog,should discontinue)
5.7
6.4
6.7 Turbo Diesel
__________________
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC/4x4 SLT/BH/6.7 Cummins/Automatic/3:42 Rear Axle Ratio/Deep Cherry Red Crystal Red Pearl Coat/2FZ Package/Tech Group/comforte Group/Remote Start/Back up Camera/Tube Steps/Drop in Bed Liner/chrome AVS Bug Shield/Build Date 3-2013/Stock
2014 Wolf Pack 28WP Limited TT TH 7500 lbs Dry
2014 Polaris 850 XP LE Touring
2012 Mazda 3i Touring 40 mpg

Last edited by Turbo Crazy; 07-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Turbo Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
67guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 7,861
Thanks: 2,204
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,866 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy707 View Post
I agree 100%. Only time will tell. It's not like the old days where the bigger engines got horrible gas milage. If that was the case there wouldn't be the 6.4. Ram knows people are concerned with milage. Also just because its a bigger engine doesn't mean it will get worse milage. My 2000 ram I had had the v-10 and it got better milage than my uncles 360 in the exact same truck.
Yup. And I 100% understand that this is the CUMMINS Forum. I'm keeping the 2010 as it's basically a show truck through and through without a blemish. This would be my daily driver (the 6.4L if I got it). So I'm interested. I hope the refinements and execution are good because I think there is a market for a well-done heavy duty gasser and I think 350 cubic inches (5.7L) is a lot to ask of when you want to move heavy stuff.

-Guzzler
67guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak
 
FF1063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 928
Thanks: 103
Thanked 106 Times in 72 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It's a 400+ HP V8, sounds like a choice many like me have been waiting for. Hope it's launch is a good one. The added purchase/ownership costs of the CTD does make a new Gasser more attractive these days, at least Ram and I think so.
__________________
2014 RAM 3500 Laramie 4X4 DRW Aisin/3.73 w/ AF990 Truck Camper
Previous - 1998 Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD 12V
FF1063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FF1063 For This Useful Post:
Prostar197 (12-31-2013), Raw Dodge (02-27-2014)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
67guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 7,861
Thanks: 2,204
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,866 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just stumbled upon this PR junk but it's interesting.

-Guzzler

67guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2