Ram 2500 2013 Vs 2014 Rear Suspension - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2013+ General Discussion
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ram 2500 2013 Vs 2014 Rear Suspension

Hi All

Been lurking here for a few months and decided to join now that I am settling in on a Ram. I've owned many pickups over the years but this will be the first HD. (Need it to pull a 9K tow/1100 tongue wight travel trailer - which is the max tow of my current F150)

The question I have (and I searched for this) is on the new rear suspension of the 2500. For those that have HD trucks already what are your thoughts on the move to the new suspension?

For my needs the truck will be used 80/20 no tow / tow so it will be empty most of the time. Need to tap into some of the brain power and experience. What do you think - buy 2013 or wait for 2014?
Bigtruck4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tech support junkie

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
What I find crazy is we both posted 2014 suspension threads at the same time! Haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
CUMMINS & MAXXFORCE
Powering Americas Future
powerstroke8994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I'm still not clear on whether the '14 2500 will have leaves std and coils and/or air is an option or will they be coils only? Maybe someone can clarify.

As far as the air bags, I think it will be a great option for us guys that tow/haul varying loads or run around empty a lot. All that load capacity when you need it, a good ride when empty, and a level truck always. Sounds good to me, if it works.
XFord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

That's kind of the kicker isn't it. "If it works....."
Bigtruck4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I think it will be just fine, every time anything new comes out we all worry, then realize its not the end of the world. We got al worked up when the 6.7 came out or back up earlier, the common rail came out... And we are still fine.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFord View Post
I'm still not clear on whether the '14 2500 will have leaves std and coils and/or air is an option or will they be coils only? Maybe someone can clarify.

As far as the air bags, I think it will be a great option for us guys that tow/haul varying loads or run around empty a lot. All that load capacity when you need it, a good ride when empty, and a level truck always. Sounds good to me, if it works.
The 2500 is going to a 6-link rear suspension with coil springs or air springs.

The 3500 continues with leaf springs, but has an optional rear air-spring suspension. The leaf spring packs are replaced with a single mono-leaf.
Lead Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

First time HD truck buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruck4me View Post
Hi All

Been lurking here for a few months and decided to join now that I am settling in on a Ram. I've owned many pickups over the years but this will be the first HD. (Need it to pull a 9K tow/1100 tongue wight travel trailer - which is the max tow of my current F150)

The question I have (and I searched for this) is on the new rear suspension of the 2500. For those that have HD trucks already what are your thoughts on the move to the new suspension?

For my needs the truck will be used 80/20 no tow / tow so it will be empty most of the time. Need to tap into some of the brain power and experience. What do you think - buy 2013 or wait for 2014?
Always buy more truck than you need. As your family and interests grow your truck will be ready for the next job. Incremental changes with trucks and equipment can be painful and expensive. Changing trucks is like losing an old friend. So chose your friends carefully. Buy the 13 when they offer the big rebates since air suspension is not really a big deal. The 13 Ram truck is hard to beat. Arrange for the best Bang for the buck deal..... and Happy trails.
daMonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMonk View Post
Always buy more truck than you need. As your family and interests grow your truck will be ready for the next job. Incremental changes with trucks and equipment can be painful and expensive. Changing trucks is like losing an old friend. So chose your friends carefully. Buy the 13 when they offer the big rebates since air suspension is not really a big deal. The 13 Ram truck is hard to beat. Arrange for the best Bang for the buck deal..... and Happy trails.
This is exactly what I did... I got a 2013 3500. However, I zoned into this thread because the ride on the 2013 is much more harsh than my 2008 3500. I'm okay with it but the wife isn't happy about it. I'm planning on getting the Kelderman 2 stage rear air suspension which based upon the research I have done makes a noticeable difference (Not expecting the ride of a Cadallac, just looking to smoothe out the ride...this will be the subject of a future thread which will cover my review of it). I could have bought a lot less truck but 1) I love the cummins diesel engine, 2) I am planning to go up to a fifth wheel one day, and 3) I am planning on keeping this truck until I am too old to drive it
footpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Choosing a good friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by footpounds View Post
This is exactly what I did... I got a 2013 3500. However, I zoned into this thread because the ride on the 2013 is much more harsh than my 2008 3500. I'm okay with it but the wife isn't happy about it. I'm planning on getting the Kelderman 2 stage rear air suspension which based upon the research I have done makes a noticeable difference (Not expecting the ride of a Cadallac, just looking to smoothe out the ride...this will be the subject of a future thread which will cover my review of it). I could have bought a lot less truck but 1) I love the cummins diesel engine, 2) I am planning to go up to a fifth wheel one day, and 3) I am planning on keeping this truck until I am too old to drive it
I felt the same way when I bot my 06 ram dually, this will be my last truck. It didn't take long after a few test drives the 13 Ram demonstrated just how refined they had become. Harsh ride yes, but when towing you'll be thankful for that stiff ride. No matter what you chose to haul or pull ...this truck can do it.
daMonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by footpounds View Post
Have you seen what that Kelderman setup looks like? It may ride well but OMG it is big and ugly! It just adds more parts to the rear suspension not replace them. It will add to the truck weight as well. The ride is more harsh because the payload rating has doubled since 2008 and the tow rating is up big time as well. If I had a 13 I would get a set of regular (not Kelderman) airbags and cut off or remove the overloads from the rear leafs to improve the ride. I was planning on doing that to a 13 until I heard Ram was going to take care of that for me for 2014 so I waited to order.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I was kind of glad I got a '13. I don't want to be a guinea pig for a new suspension. I'm sure it will work just fine but I'll let some other people test it out first.

We have a '13 F150 and now the '13 2500. The 2500 rides like a truck but it'll haul a heck of a lot more than the F150 so with capacity you should feel like you're driving a truck.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruck4me View Post
Hi All

I had a few diesels back in the 80s then went back to gas, and then back to Diesel in 2000, and back to gas in 2008 after some issues with the EPA mandated emission systems. I just placed an order for a 13 Ram Diesel a few weeks ago, its still not locked in for production and I could change it to a 14, but the way its been going with members and getting there ordered trucks, so far this year, I wasn't wanting to risk a 6 month long wait for a 14 and I also wasn't wanting to risk not having good rebates. I too am moving up from a F150, my F150 is a max tow, 6.2L gas which is a really a nice truck, and pulls my 3000-8000 pound loads just fine, but I hate the fuel mileage when towing and miss the power of a diesel so now that they seem to have got a handle on the mileage and emissions crap finally, I am ready to move back into a Diesel.

I drove several 13 Ram Diesels before making my decision, and Ride was one of my main concerns, I thought the 13 Ram 2500 road really smooth for 2500 trucks I especially like the low pressure alternate setting for the TPMS system. I don't know if anyone else offers that on a 2500.

I figured I am only going to own it 2-3 years at the most, so I can check out one of these coil spring and air bag rigs next year and see how I like it. If its a big improvement I will trade my 13 for 15.
cc1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cc1999 For This Useful Post:
tank07 (03-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.