Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Ram 2500 2013 Vs 2014 Rear Suspension

54K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  clemsonkrawler 
#1 ·
Hi All

Been lurking here for a few months and decided to join now that I am settling in on a Ram. I've owned many pickups over the years but this will be the first HD. (Need it to pull a 9K tow/1100 tongue wight travel trailer - which is the max tow of my current F150)

The question I have (and I searched for this) is on the new rear suspension of the 2500. For those that have HD trucks already what are your thoughts on the move to the new suspension?

For my needs the truck will be used 80/20 no tow / tow so it will be empty most of the time. Need to tap into some of the brain power and experience. What do you think - buy 2013 or wait for 2014?:confused013:

#3 ·
I'm still not clear on whether the '14 2500 will have leaves std and coils and/or air is an option or will they be coils only? Maybe someone can clarify.

As far as the air bags, I think it will be a great option for us guys that tow/haul varying loads or run around empty a lot. All that load capacity when you need it, a good ride when empty, and a level truck always. Sounds good to me, if it works.

#5 ·
I think it will be just fine, every time anything new comes out we all worry, then realize its not the end of the world. We got al worked up when the 6.7 came out or back up earlier, the common rail came out... And we are still fine.

#7 ·
First time HD truck buyer

Always buy more truck than you need. As your family and interests grow your truck will be ready for the next job. Incremental changes with trucks and equipment can be painful and expensive. Changing trucks is like losing an old friend. So chose your friends carefully. Buy the 13 when they offer the big rebates since air suspension is not really a big deal. The 13 Ram truck is hard to beat. Arrange for the best Bang for the buck deal..... and Happy trails.

#8 ·
Always buy more truck than you need. As your family and interests grow your truck will be ready for the next job. Incremental changes with trucks and equipment can be painful and expensive. Changing trucks is like losing an old friend. So chose your friends carefully. Buy the 13 when they offer the big rebates since air suspension is not really a big deal. The 13 Ram truck is hard to beat. Arrange for the best Bang for the buck deal..... and Happy trails.
This is exactly what I did... I got a 2013 3500. However, I zoned into this thread because the ride on the 2013 is much more harsh than my 2008 3500. I'm okay with it but the wife isn't happy about it. I'm planning on getting the Kelderman 2 stage rear air suspension which based upon the research I have done makes a noticeable difference (Not expecting the ride of a Cadallac, just looking to smoothe out the ride...this will be the subject of a future thread which will cover my review of it). I could have bought a lot less truck but 1) I love the cummins diesel engine, 2) I am planning to go up to a fifth wheel one day, and 3) I am planning on keeping this truck until I am too old to drive it

#11 ·
I was kind of glad I got a '13. I don't want to be a guinea pig for a new suspension. I'm sure it will work just fine but I'll let some other people test it out first.

We have a '13 F150 and now the '13 2500. The 2500 rides like a truck but it'll haul a heck of a lot more than the F150 so with capacity you should feel like you're driving a truck.

#12 ·
I had a few diesels back in the 80s then went back to gas, and then back to Diesel in 2000, and back to gas in 2008 after some issues with the EPA mandated emission systems. I just placed an order for a 13 Ram Diesel a few weeks ago, its still not locked in for production and I could change it to a 14, but the way its been going with members and getting there ordered trucks, so far this year, I wasn't wanting to risk a 6 month long wait for a 14 and I also wasn't wanting to risk not having good rebates. I too am moving up from a F150, my F150 is a max tow, 6.2L gas which is a really a nice truck, and pulls my 3000-8000 pound loads just fine, but I hate the fuel mileage when towing and miss the power of a diesel so now that they seem to have got a handle on the mileage and emissions crap finally, I am ready to move back into a Diesel.

I drove several 13 Ram Diesels before making my decision, and Ride was one of my main concerns, I thought the 13 Ram 2500 road really smooth for 2500 trucks I especially like the low pressure alternate setting for the TPMS system. I don't know if anyone else offers that on a 2500.

I figured I am only going to own it 2-3 years at the most, so I can check out one of these coil spring and air bag rigs next year and see how I like it. If its a big improvement I will trade my 13 for 15.

Reactions: tank07
#14 ·
Cool springs are quite capable. What do you think is supporting your front axle? On my truck there's muck more weight on the front axle than the rear when I'm unloaded. When loaded the forces are about equal.

#16 ·
Really like to compare the 2500 '14 vs '13 rear suspension when the '14s hit the lot.

We're thinking about a 5th wheel in the future--think those coils could hold up over time?

#17 ·
Not sure why they wouldn't, the fronts hold up fine with a majority of the weight on them most of the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#19 ·
Is there a payload number or GAWR out there w/ the 2014 rear end suspension? All I keep finding are: New gooseneck/fifth wheel capability for Ram 2500, and up to 17,940 pounds for towing.

#20 ·
I'm looking for a '14 2500 payload # too. If it's 3000lbs +, I'll probably get a 2500, if not, I'll stick to a 3500.. But then again, the Aisin is only available on the 3500s...

#21 ·
I have a 2500 diesel 2wd and tow a 5er that weights 8500 pounds with 1600 on the king pin. Like you, the truck runs 80% empty. Prior to this truck, I had a 2005 GMC 2500. First, I love the Cummings, the towing, and the mileage I get. The suspension is a little bit tighter, especially in the rear end. I have only towed the 5er once for 600 miles. With the 5er on it, the rear end settles down 2 1/2 inches. That's pretty normal. It also smooths out the rear end with the 5er on it. I don't know what the changes are for the 2014, but I think you would be happy pulling your trailer with a 2013.

#22 ·
Seen this post has been dead for awhile. Thought I'd update it some. Recently bought a 2014 2500 an love the way it pulls with a load on. The truck stays centered over axle thru curves an very little body sway. I believe they've done it right with the new suspension.

#23 ·
The new coils give a much better Hwy ride and seems to hold a straighter line with little effort. The coils still give a firm ride but soaks up the small bumps better.

I haven't towed yet!

#24 ·
I just traded in my 2013 Ram 1500 with the rear-coil suspension and I loved it. I just missed having a diesel for the mileage and power when pulling our Travel Trailer. If the rear suspension in the 2500 is anything like the one in the 1500, you will really like it. I bought the 2013 2500, because like daMonk stated, the rebates/cash back/discounts were awesome. I ended up getting about $10,000 off with my military discount thrown in there. My only recommendation is to go test drive both and see.

#25 ·
I went from a 13 2500 to a 14 2500, The 14 rides better empty, the 14 feels great pulling a load. I did seem to feel a heavy load move around a little more with my 14 (Nothing bad) but when the boat would hit a big bump it felt like it bounced a little more (could have just been me). Either way its not a problem it pulls like a dream!

#26 ·
purchased the 2014 RAM 2500 4x4 crew cab 8 foot bed Laramie a week ago. I drove everything from every manufacturer, including the 14 3500 megacab, the 2013 RAM 2500... granted the RAM i purchased has the long bed, but the 14 2500 was the smoothest riding of them all. The 14 definitley has a smoother ride that the 13.

Very impressed... was an inch away from purchasing the 14 3500, but the wife recommended against it due to what she perceived to be way too rough of a ride for her... (not taking a shot at the 3500, great truck that is more capable than the 2500 - but more tow capacity can equal a stiffer ride).

BTW - I am not one of those brand loyal types... I buy what I perceive to be the best product for the money. After driving the Chevy diesel, ford diesel and all of the RAM products, I am so impressed with the new RAMs... very impressive vehicle and I am very pleased with it

#27 ·
I drove every major mfg trucks in gas and diesel before buying the 2014 2500. The fit and finish of the dodge was better than almost all of them. The ride was better than the ford 2500 but not as smooth as the Chevy IFS. Of course all the 1500 gassers rode better but the fuel mileage wasnt any better and the tow/haul ratings were much lower.

In the end the only other truck I considered was the new 2014 Dodge 1500 gasser with the 8speed auto. In the end the diesel was only about $5k more and it was, to me, a lot more truck for the money. Plus the 8speed had a knob instead of an actual shifter for the trans. Pretty cheezy IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.