2013 DEF problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2013+ General Discussion
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2013 DEF problems

Purchased a 2500 a few weeks ago. Went through regen twic within the first 600 miles all highway miles. Got check engine light around 1400 miles Code P2000. They are saying its a bad sensor or bad DEF. Dealership could not diagnose because they did not have a DEF refractometer. They tried to overnight one but claim the tool supplier is having trouble getting them out. They cleared the code and told me it was ok to drive until the refractometer comes in (approx two weeks). I ordered a OTC def refractometer (same brand dealership waiting on) and got it in less than 24 hours. I am trying to find a way to get a DEF sample if anyone knows a easy way to take one there is no tank drain. I think they are trying to weasle out of the waranty and blame the DEF. I have 1400 miles and have not added any yet. Any advise would be helpful.
troublemonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

did they tell you what a p2000 code is? I could try and look into it a bit when I get a chance but I cant do anything with the p2000 code because thats chrysler and I have no way to cross reference it into a cummins code.

Last edited by HHPCumminsMech; 05-05-2013 at 04:51 AM.
HHPCumminsMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

P2000-NOX ABSORBER EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD

Theory of Operation

The engine aftertreatment system monitors the oxygen content in the diesel engine exhaust. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the exhaust gases for oxygen content and varies the rich/lean fuel mixture of the intake air fuel mixture to adjust system. This diagnostic measures the oxygen storage capability of the Nitrates of Oxygen (NOx) Absorber Catalyst. The PCM will set the fault if it detects that the NOx Absorber performance is lower than expected. A mobile desoot should not be performed while investigating this fault. The PCM will illuminate the MIL lamp immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails. The PCM will turn off the MIL lamp diagnostic runs and passes in four consecutive drive cycles.
•When Monitored: This diagnostic will run during deNOx events.
•Set Condition: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will set the fault if it detects that the NOx Absorber performance is lower than expected.

Possible Causes

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR O2 SENSORS USE OF HIGH SULFUR FUEL TAMPERING OR REMOVAL OF THE NAC DEGRADED OR POISONED NAC EXHAUST, EGR OR INTAKE LEAKS

FF1063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to FF1063 For This Useful Post:
DIESELBLOCK (05-11-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info on how the system works. The service manager told me it was a bad sensor or bad Diesel exhaust fluid. I have to wait until their DEF refractometer comes in they don't want to use mine. I am going to get some small hose today and siphon some DEF and check it myself. The check engine light has not come on again.

Last edited by troublemonster; 05-05-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF1063 View Post
P2000-NOX ABSORBER EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD

Theory of Operation

The engine aftertreatment system monitors the oxygen content in the diesel engine exhaust. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the exhaust gases for oxygen content and varies the rich/lean fuel mixture of the intake air fuel mixture to adjust system. This diagnostic measures the oxygen storage capability of the Nitrates of Oxygen (NOx) Absorber Catalyst. The PCM will set the fault if it detects that the NOx Absorber performance is lower than expected. A mobile desoot should not be performed while investigating this fault. The PCM will illuminate the MIL lamp immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails. The PCM will turn off the MIL lamp diagnostic runs and passes in four consecutive drive cycles.
•When Monitored: This diagnostic will run during deNOx events.
•Set Condition: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will set the fault if it detects that the NOx Absorber performance is lower than expected.

Possible Causes

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR O2 SENSORS USE OF HIGH SULFUR FUEL TAMPERING OR REMOVAL OF THE NAC DEGRADED OR POISONED NAC EXHAUST, EGR OR INTAKE LEAKS

Last edited by indianaeph; 05-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.
indianaeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to indianaeph For This Useful Post:
DIESELBLOCK (05-11-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tech support junkie

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have a cummins def refractormeter and def tester that looks like a freezepoint tool for coolant. The nice like about it is that it was a 6ft small hose on it to shove down the tank. This is honestly the MOST common code on an def system. I see cummins,mack,volvo and now the new new navostar engines have this issue too. ALot of times this can be solved by updating the ecm. I would assume there are several cals out for this 2013 emssion 2300seriesw ecm. They do not require a ACM anymore which make things alot smoother. When you diag this code you must check the def doser pressure check for leaks. if nyou get under neath it and look for white crystalized supstance thatll let youknow if you getting leaks. Then dodge will flow test the def doser. One nice thing they can do if pressuize the whole system with doesr closed and look for leaks. Sometimes its the sensor butunder cummins troublshotting if it has no other related faults the true only issues it could have are. ECM needs updated, in range fault of the NOX sensor(rare as this normally throws a fault), not enough def being dosed when commaned, or failed scr cat asse (also very rare). I see you issue being something simple. We use valvoline defat work neverhad issue with it. Also if dodge woulda ran a forced stationary regen that woulda told them if it was a fluke or not.
CUMMINS & MAXXFORCE
Powering Americas Future
powerstroke8994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powerstroke8994 For This Useful Post:
2013-ram3500 (05-05-2013), 5001craig (05-11-2013), Mangas (05-05-2013), terb (02-10-2014)
Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

This is what I like about forums. People trying to help each other... The fighting, bickering and trash talking I can do without. Thumbs up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2013oneTon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 2013oneTon For This Useful Post:
chrisminx (05-06-2013), DIESELBLOCK (05-11-2013), Ltk (05-07-2013), mertzj (05-05-2013), MoparBob (05-12-2013), Pipeguy (05-07-2013), powerstroke8994 (05-05-2013), scotheocelot (12-15-2014), SoCADesertRat (05-05-2013), tommyid1 (12-11-2014)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks a lot guys. I checked the DEF yeterday and it is within specs. Also don't see any crystals on the DEF injection pump so we can rule out a leak. I did over here someone at the dealership say it was a USB cable for the 2013 models that they didn't have before the service manager told me they needed a DEF refractometer so maby its just a update I need. Light still hasn't come back on. I work on a ship and am leaving today for three weeks. Hopefully they get whatever tools the need by the time I get back. Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

At 1400 miles I had to add 2.5 gal of DEF. I would wonder why nobody has any consistant usage on this. I already know someone is eager to say it's how you drive them. Lets come up with another theory.
4peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peterbilt View Post
At 1400 miles I had to add 2.5 gal of DEF. I would wonder why nobody has any consistant usage on this. I already know someone is eager to say it's how you drive them. Lets come up with another theory.
it might just be inconsistent within itself. the first time i towed my camper, i saw noticeable def usage, the 2nd time i towed, and for considerably longer trip, it seemed to barely use any at all.

then again, this weekend, i toted my boat around, and i saw a higher rate of def usage.

2013 2500 Laramie Longhorn, Crew Cab, Bright White Monotone, 4x4, Short Bed, Bed Liner, Tonneau Cover, Tinted Windows, 68RFE, 3.42's, Leveled 2.5", XD Monster Wheels +18, Toyo A/T Open Country LT275/65R20, Fox 2.0
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am experiencing a similar situation. Check engine light came on around 900 miles. Went off before I could get back to dealer. Got the Filter 100% full message and it eventually started the regen process which lowered it. I haven't seen the DEF needle move off of the full mark in 1300 miles. Hope everything is good. (On a side note they have to replace my 8.4 nav radio because of an issue with the compass and GPS)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakatak View Post
I am experiencing a similar situation. Check engine light came on around 900 miles. Went off before I could get back to dealer. Got the Filter 100% full message and it eventually started the regen process which lowered it. I haven't seen the DEF needle move off of the full mark in 1300 miles. Hope everything is good. (On a side note they have to replace my 8.4 nav radio because of an issue with the compass and GPS)

On the radio issue, did it go out completely of just the GPS function?
ranchertx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchertx For This Useful Post:
Zakatak (05-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.