2013 DEF problems - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Cummins Nut
 
mtday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Hope MN
Posts: 428
Thanks: 279
Thanked 112 Times in 79 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just added DEF for the first time today. Gauge was on the last line before "E". Right around 1900 miles. The gauge, as I discovered, is quite misleading. As another member posted, adding a gallon brought it almost to halfway, and the second gallon to about the three quarter mark. I put two more in (only bought four) and its still not what I'd call topped off. The gauge is over the full line though. Might grab another gallon to see how much more it'll take tomorrow.

So, for those of you watching your needles, it's not linear at all! Lol


2013 2500 - 20" HELO 835 w/ 35 x 12.5 Toyo R/T's - 2" HBS Level - RaceME Ultra - AFE Intake
mtday is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Diesel Head
 
whitenite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,743
Thanks: 967
Thanked 834 Times in 603 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtday View Post
Just added DEF for the first time today. Gauge was on the last line before "E". Right around 1900 miles. The gauge, as I discovered, is quite misleading. As another member posted, adding a gallon brought it almost to halfway, and the second gallon to about the three quarter mark. I put two more in (only bought four) and its still not what I'd call topped off. The gauge is over the full line though. Might grab another gallon to see how much more it'll take tomorrow.

So, for those of you watching your needles, it's not linear at all! Lol
The level sensor for the DEF tanks are like a RV holding tank level sensor and work in increments so not a linear system like fuel tank sending units.
whitenite is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to whitenite For This Useful Post:
mtday (05-09-2013)
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Diesel Freak
 
DODGE4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Texas
Posts: 549
Thanks: 215
Thanked 85 Times in 55 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'm at 1,300 miles and my screen says my DEF system needs service and to contact the dealer. Dealer told me just to drive it hard for a bit? Anyone had something similar?

2016, 2500 Laramie Power Wagon - AMP Steps, Magnaflow CatBack (19200), Fab Fours bumpers, 285/75r17 Toyo MT's
Sold: A lot of Cummins Trucks
DODGE4X4 is offline  
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Diesel Head
 
whitenite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,743
Thanks: 967
Thanked 834 Times in 603 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGE4X4 View Post
I'm at 1,300 miles and my screen says my DEF system needs service and to contact the dealer. Dealer told me just to drive it hard for a bit? Anyone had something similar?
Does it say DEF needs service or DPF need service.? Driving it hard will heat up DPF and burn soot, and help that situation, however driving hard has nothing to do with the DEF system operation. Either way with that kind of mileage you should be having zero issues with both systems, you havent driven enough to fill the DPF yet, unless it is not performing an active regen. Nor have you driven enough to contaminate the Nox sensors( in exhaust stream) to give false readings for the DEF (SCR) not scrubbing Nox emissions. I suspect a faulty Nox sensor if it is the DEF message or a faulty pressure sensor if it is a DPF message.

Last edited by whitenite; 05-10-2013 at 10:39 PM.
whitenite is offline  
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Diesel Head
 
Ram3500Dually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada Eh?
Posts: 13,691
Thanks: 618
Thanked 3,560 Times in 2,271 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1300 city miles is PLENTY to cause DPF full problems. 300 miles in the city will do it..........

2013 Ram 3500 Dually CTD 6.7/Aisin/4:10 LSD
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually
Ram3500Dually is offline  
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Diesel Head
 
ranchertx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,636
Thanks: 105
Thanked 468 Times in 282 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My truck did a short regen yesterday at 275 miles. It only lasted about ten miles.

2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins Aisin, Laramie 4X4
2001 Ram 2500 Ext Cab 5.9 Cummins SLT 4X4
1993 Dodge Ram 5.9 4X4 Reg Cab
ranchertx is offline  
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Diesel Freak
 
DODGE4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Texas
Posts: 549
Thanks: 215
Thanked 85 Times in 55 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500Dually View Post
1300 city miles is PLENTY to cause DPF full problems. 300 miles in the city will do it..........
Most of mine is highway but I do idle a few hours a day while I'm on locations but I do turn on my high idle.

2016, 2500 Laramie Power Wagon - AMP Steps, Magnaflow CatBack (19200), Fab Fours bumpers, 285/75r17 Toyo MT's
Sold: A lot of Cummins Trucks

Last edited by DODGE4X4; 05-11-2013 at 08:06 AM.
DODGE4X4 is offline  
post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Diesel Freak
 
DODGE4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Texas
Posts: 549
Thanks: 215
Thanked 85 Times in 55 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenite View Post
Does it say DEF needs service or DPF need service.? Driving it hard will heat up DPF and burn soot, and help that situation, however driving hard has nothing to do with the DEF system operation. Either way with that kind of mileage you should be having zero issues with both systems, you havent driven enough to fill the DPF yet, unless it is not performing an active regen. Nor have you driven enough to contaminate the Nox sensors( in exhaust stream) to give false readings for the DEF (SCR) not scrubbing Nox emissions. I suspect a faulty Nox sensor if it is the DEF message or a faulty pressure sensor if it is a DPF message.
"Service DEF System, contact dealer"

2016, 2500 Laramie Power Wagon - AMP Steps, Magnaflow CatBack (19200), Fab Fours bumpers, 285/75r17 Toyo MT's
Sold: A lot of Cummins Trucks
DODGE4X4 is offline  
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Diesel Head
 
whitenite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,743
Thanks: 967
Thanked 834 Times in 603 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500Dually View Post
1300 city miles is PLENTY to cause DPF full problems. 300 miles in the city will do it..........
If the truck is not regening properly , yes , DPF can plug as it can accumulate over 46 grams of soot in that period, i am assuming the regen process would be working on a brand new truck. This why i stated it is unlikely a DPF problem already.

I see that it it indeed a DEF issue anyway, so DPF is most likely properly doing an active regen.
whitenite is offline  
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Diesel Head
 
whitenite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,743
Thanks: 967
Thanked 834 Times in 603 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchertx View Post
My truck did a short regen yesterday at 275 miles. It only lasted about ten miles.
Odd, the DEF equipped trucks should at least double regen intervals, and regen should be every 500 miles on average. Based on the average regen being 200 -250 miles pre DEF equipment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGE4X4 View Post
"Service DEF System, contact dealer"
Thanks for clarification. Do not let this message go unattended, as your truck will be limited to speed and power after a predetermined amount of miles driven without DEF working properly, and thank the EPA while your at it.
whitenite is offline  
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Diesel Freak
 
DODGE4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Texas
Posts: 549
Thanks: 215
Thanked 85 Times in 55 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I pulled a light load today (7k) for about 4 hours, message has gone away and all seems well.

2016, 2500 Laramie Power Wagon - AMP Steps, Magnaflow CatBack (19200), Fab Fours bumpers, 285/75r17 Toyo MT's
Sold: A lot of Cummins Trucks
DODGE4X4 is offline  
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Diesel Head
 
whitenite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,743
Thanks: 967
Thanked 834 Times in 603 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGE4X4 View Post
I pulled a light load today (7k) for about 4 hours, message has gone away and all seems well.
This is a good thing ,as long as the message or CEL is out it won't derate. It will keep a stored fault in mode 6 for further perusal if needed.
whitenite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome