Cummins Diesel Forum banner

PICS! 2013 Ram 3500 Larime Crew Dually

20K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Lead Head 
#1 · (Edited)
According to RamTrucks.com, this truck is still "In Transit" as most of them are. I stopped by the dealership today to have them call me when it came in. Low and behold it was already there, waiting to have the PDI done by service (plastic on everything, rear fender flares in back seat, "shipping" mode, etc). Fortunately they brought it uup front and let me crawl around it a little. I took some quick pics of a few things I had seen on here about needing pics of. Mainly the front suspension and the tie rod ends. Let me start off by saying that this thing is BEEFY!! anyway, on to a few pics. I only took pics of stuff I haven't seen posted yet, so no interior pics. This one did NOT have the fold flat rear floor, just the standard flip up rear seat with storage underneath the seat (except on the passenger side where the subwoofer is) and in the floorboards.

It's a 2013 Crew Cab Larime Dually w/Aisin and 3.42s

Window Sticker http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C63RRJL1DG560022

See less See more
#4 ·
That was my original intentions, but since it was already there, I went ahead and looked it over. I'm going to go back in the next day of so and take it for a test drive to see how she rides and how the power is. Being that the service dept hadn't even touched it yet, and that it was still in "ship" mode (or whatever they call it) I didn't bother. I did pop the hood though, and noticed two batteries (not sure if all diesel Ram's are like this, it'll be my first, although I'm looking for a Mega Cab) and the "batwing" engine cover with the oil filler tube flush with the top of the cover (well, bottom of the cap flush with the top of the cover). Also, I guess it's because it's such a big truck, it sits up a lot higher than it looks like in pictures.

If there are any specific pics anyone wants, let me know and I'll snap them while I'm there for the test drive.

Reactions: DIESELBLOCK
#6 ·
Congrats and that's a very nice lookin truck!

Boy it amazes me just how much electric wiring, actuators, etc. they hang under these trucks now a days.
Makes a guy think twice about taking these off-road, lol.

Thanks for the pic's!

Reactions: MQQSE
#12 ·
As "pushed" said, I'm wanting a Mega Cab, and YES, there are all kinds of electronics plastered to and around the frame. They all appear to be sealed in good weatherpac connectors, but I'm not sure if running it through deep water/mud is gonna be good for it, especially over the years.

The congrats is a little quick - he's looking for a MegaCab.

Dwalton: All of the Cummins trucks have dual batteries, but thank you for the pics.
Thanks for the heads up on the dual batteries, I didn't know.

Does the front axle disconnect wiring look waterproof?

Does it need to be?
I'm sure it's water "resistant", but I'm not sure how water "proof" any of it is. When I go back to test drive it I'll get back under there and take a better picture of the disconnect and harness.

Can you look on the driver door sticker and tell me what GAWR and GAWF are... thanks. Also GVWR

DB
I'll do you one better and take a picture of it for you so you can see all the info on the tag!

I'm glad you posted these pics, it saved me from doing it with the one I drove home today.
I figured you'd be kinda busy enjoying her before you head out to Colorado, as well as packing and what not for the trip. Enjoy it, and when you get back put a load on her and see how she hauls!

I aslo took a few pics of the frame area around the rear axle, both inside and out. I'm getting ready to call Precision Bodyline to see if they want to stretch a '13, possibly '14, Mega Cab, and I wanted to have a few pics to send them if they haven't seen any yet. Hopefully they have, and they'll have a jig set up by the time I order (and receive) one. At this point I'm thinking I will hold out for a '14 though, so they should have done a couple by then.

#7 ·
The congrats is a little quick - he's looking for a MegaCab.

Dwalton: All of the Cummins trucks have dual batteries, but thank you for the pics.

Reactions: dwalton31
#9 ·
Can you look on the driver door sticker and tell me what GAWR and GAWF are... thanks. Also GVWR

DB

#14 ·
Holy Crap -- Unless the stud inside is bent by design to accommodate the angle and it's not under tension... ??? (wishful thinking on my part?)

#19 ·
Looks ok to me. Tire Rods have to change direction when the wheels are turned. That seems to be their function. I'm sure they are made of higher strength materials to accomodate the new towing specs.

#20 ·
This is possibly the baddest dually ever produced. Course, I am partial to the 1st Gen duallies. Very nice, though.

#23 ·
dwalton31,thank you for the pictures.
I know the aftermarket came up with a cable that could be pulled from inside the cab for the last version of Dodge's CAD system.
I suspect,and of course hope, that that will be the case with this version.
My initial impression of the design is it looks poorly thought out.
The pictures posted yesterday, and today, appear to show a couple of places for water to get into the electrical connectors.
:spank:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/member.php?u=207715

#27 ·
I have seen setups similar in concept, but on GMs. Except for those, I think, was to manually engage the differential.

Here is another pic of some electrical pieces mounted to the frame, passenger side, somewhere around the front of the bed.

Or a couple of tubes of silicon to overcome the poor design.
One of my favorite roads to drive crosses a creek 14 times,it is not deep,but it is deep enough to submerge those connectors.
I guess Dodge engineers live in the desert and don't leave asphalt.
I completely agree!!

Is that front suspension a radius arm type setup?
Here's a pic I found, and they appear to be very similar. I'm not sure what the criteria is as to whether it's called a radius arm or not, but I'd say you could get by saying it. The rear of the stock unit on the truck goes back to a sinlge point mount on the frame

#25 ·
Or a couple of tubes of silicon to overcome the poor design.
One of my favorite roads to drive crosses a creek 14 times,it is not deep,but it is deep enough to submerge those connectors.
I guess Dodge engineers live in the desert and don't leave asphalt.

#29 ·
Cross over

So the biggest thing I see with the steering is it is now true crossover steering and the drag link and track bar look much flatter than before at ride height. This makes for no bump steer and the axle will move side to side much less when hitting bumps. The steering knuckles and front diff center section look much beefier. And this is a radius arm suspension like the fords VS the old four link.

#30 ·
So the biggest thing I see with the steering is it is now true crossover steering and the drag link and track bar look much flatter than before at ride height. This makes for no bump steer and the axle will move side to side much less when hitting bumps. The steering knuckles and front diff center section look much beefier. And this is a radius arm suspension like the fords VS the old four link.
Literally everything to do with suspension,steering, and axles are different on the new 3500's. When I was at the Ram measuring session last year we concluded that the only parts that crossover from the previous suspension setup is the rear bump stops and possible the rear leafs. It looked like there were going back to a 3 leaf main spring in the rear with upper loads instead of the super stiff 2 leaf main that they have used on the 10-12 3500's so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.