Cummins Diesel Forum banner

5th wheel and Gooseneck prep?

38K views 67 replies 28 participants last post by  gogop66 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if this option package comes with the standard tail gate? Saw a U-tube video and it showed a cut down tail gate when showing this package on the truck. Want to make sure I get the standard tail gate. I will need to change my order. Ram need to get there web site up and running. Thanks

#2 ·
The brochure I have doesn't mention anything about the cutout tail gate.

"13MY Ram 3500 offers a fifth wheel / gooseneck prep option. It includes a factory-installed rear structural cross member and five holes in the bed for fifth wheel (four outer holes) and gooseneck (center hole) hitches. Plastic covers for the holes are provided. Also comes equipped with an additional 7-pin connector mounted inside the box."

#3 ·
That tailgate in the video was a one off deal. That is not part of the package. If you look in this section for the video walkaround of the 2013 Ram that truck has the goosneck package and the standard tailgate

Reactions: whitenite
#6 ·
Does anyone know what hitch for sure will fit the new bed pucks ? Have heard they are going to be different spacing than the ford OEM hitch puck spacing ?

Called curt hitch tech line and they said they are not making a hitch right now for the fifth wheel option.

If I make the trade to a 13 3500 I will have to have a fifth wheel hitch fast- don't have time to wait 5-6 months for company to design a hitch for this option

#7 ·
You will need to order the adapter kit for the fifth wheel prep package. Here are some of the details I received from my dealer. My kit is on order with an arrival date of 25 April. Here is the part number needed to adapt a common fifth wheel hitch to the truck with prep pkg.

Hitches will require an above bed fifth wheel installation kit (Part #: 82213667). It consists of a bracket to adapt from common fifth wheel hitches to production mounting points on the truck and includes the captured quarter turn tie-downs that mate to the under bed mounting brackets. It is a rectangular tube steel frame with multiple mounting points for commonly available fifth wheel hitches with 22” rail spacing. The purpose is to allow the customer to adapt a fifth wheel hitch that they already own to the factory installed fifth wheel / gooseneck prep kit.

#9 · (Edited)
:shock:
So, given that this is to allow one to "adapt" an existing hitch to the NEW truck, what, on the other hand, is SUPPOSE to fit the PREP package seeing as Dodge is not providing a "factory" hitch assembly complete, like Ford offers!

I would like to know what hitch Dodge recommends as a "stock" for those of us that do not already own a hitch? Seems fitment for the new Dodge Ram with factory prep package does not appear to be on the radar for the most common hitch manufacturer's. I have tried PullRite and Curt, all to no avail.

Surely Dodge RAM had to use someone's spec to fit the hole spacing and alignment???:confused013:
If at all possible, I would like to order the PullRite SuperGlide 3600 for the short-bed (6'4'' & Mega-Cab). I have contacted PullRite and they have not evaluated fitment for the 2013 RAM trucks yet and will not say if the current SuperRails will work. Because of that issue alone, I may have to go with ordering the Crew-Cab and 8' long-bed and hope that the Reese Elite 25K will fit the hole spacing without the adapter rails mentioned above!

#12 ·
This is what the dealer sent me.
20,000 Fifth Wheel (Part #: 82213822)
MSRP = $700
Note: Requires MOPAR roller ($200 MSRP) or fixed legs ($175 MSRP)
FIFTH WHEEL / GOOSENECK PREP OPTION
Both of these hitches will require an above bed fifth wheel installation kit (Part #: 82213667). It consists of a bracket to adapt from common fifth wheel hitches to production mounting points on the truck and includes the captured quarter turn tie-downs that mate to the under bed mounting brackets. It is a rectangular tube steel frame with multiple mounting points for commonly available fifth wheel hitches with 22” rail spacing. The purpose is to allow the customer to adapt a fifth wheel hitch that they already own to the factory installed fifth wheel / gooseneck prep kit.
MSRP = $575
25,000 Fifth Wheel w/ Fixed Legs (Part #: 82213821)
MSRP = $1,125

Reactions: jack0351
#13 ·
There will be two different gooseneck kits available:
•2 5/16” Ball
•3” Ball Kit includes gooseneck ball with a locking mechanism incorporated into base the of ball (image not 100% accurate) and two safety chain tie-downs that fit into the rear outer holes in the bed. Entire kit contents are packaged in canvas bag with Ram's head logo. MSRP = $250

#18 · (Edited)
I spoke to the Curt Tech support today just for the heck of it and he told me it could be a month before the fifth wheel adapter kit is available for the 2013's. Here is the tech support phone number if you want to bug them too. 1-800-798-0813

#22 ·
First, spacing on pucks is 39" wide by 30" deep. Second, as of last week there was nothing available to fit the fifth wheel prep. Hitch installer needed a universal mounting kit. I have almost 1000 miles towing. My hitch dealer called all of the hitch people including Reese, Curt, Cequent and Mopar. Could be six months.

#24 ·
I'm thinking about trading my 2004/5 Dodge Diesel Dually in on a 2013, and if I'm reading all this right - can I just transfer my hitch (B&W) over to new truck and forego all the other stuff?

#26 ·
Unless you ordered the truck without the prep package. Then you can buy the B&W hitch. That is out for 2013 1 ton.

#32 · (Edited)
the dealer told me that the oem hitch will still be available sometime, but it might involve lifting bed off at owners expense. /shrug from what I know the crossmember is in place on all 3500's and a model specific hitch like this will be required, I pick mine up on thursday so we'll see. quite a few articles pop up on google for gooseneck hitches since today so product was just released.

#37 ·
That appears to just be a fifth wheel hitch. It is not near wide enough to line up with the factory pucks.

You still need the adapter at a cost of $700+

Just buy a Reese Elite pop in ball and an Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel conversion and be done with it.

#38 · (Edited)
Bedrail height 2013 4x4 and 5er

Hi, did you have any issues with the tall bed rails and the 5er.
Bed rails at the back of truck measures 59" from pavement and
the 5er measures from pavement to bottom of 5er is 58" unhitched, set as high as it can go ( springs on top already).
Looks like the problem maybe in backing the truck under the low 5er since the 5er is lower than the truck bed rails without using wood to back the trailer onto.
For hitching situation -Still looking at Andersen adapter for solution. Found gn ball from reese as suggested. Will need to pull next week.

:confused013:

#39 ·
Hi, did you have any issues with the tall bed rails and the 5er.
Bed rails at the back of truck measures 57" from pavement and to bottom of 5er is 55" with springs on top unhitched...
Still looking at Andersen adapter for solution. Found gooseball from reese as suggested. Will need to pull next week.

:confused013:
Have not hooked up to it yet, will Sunday. I dont see a problem since the height can easily be adjusted with a hitch pin that secures the ball. The ball has three different height settings.
The Goosebox is only rated for 16K which is below my trailer weight, and, there are numerous reports of problems with their air ride system. (Air bleeding off)

#41 ·
Rated at 25000
Ball drops in and a tab on top drops down to lock it. Just google image it and you will see pics of it.
Yes, dealers are totally clueless about this subject because Ram does not have the accessories.

#43 ·
I'm picking my Big Horn up next week.

Dealer says the Mopar Gooseneck balls are not yet available. Will an aftermarket ball plug directly into the OEM receiver below the bed? My understanding is the truck optioned with the Gooseneck Prep only needs the ball.

Have I got this right?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.