Why 2013 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2013+ General Discussion
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Why 2013

Ok I am a little confused about the DFP and urea deal on diesels since I have never owned one. If you use urea still with DFP as I understand is the exhaust still recirculated back through the engine?

If so why or what would be the benefit of having a 2013 over 2012 model?

I know the horsepower is supposed to go up but 40hp isnt alot. Wondering if you will even notice it. Urea is supposed to be added.

I pull a load alot. 20k almost three days a week. The dodge seems to be the choice so I have experienced with less breakdowns. The dmax just cannot handle the grind day in and day out without sounding like its going to blow and running warm. The ford i am scared to death of with all the egr, software, water in fuel crap that is going on. On any forum it seems to be just dumb stuff wrong with a few dodge brands nothing really major.

Another question i have is I know urea is supposed to make better fuel economy. With the cost of urea and the rebates I will get on a 12 model there is no way that will be overcome this year with a 13 model. Or I dont think it can anyway. There is alot of fuel I can buy with that.

I guess just wondering if its worth being a guinnea pig for the 13 truck or stick with 12 that I know will work. or should. I have a 10 now is why I say that, which I am keeping.
threeman is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to threeman For This Useful Post:
KSmart (04-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i would love for my 2012 to have urea. the urea allows you to use less agressive egr which reduced the amount of soot thru the motor which allows you to go further between regens.

they have been using the urea on the cab and chassis for a few years and i feel that they have addressed and corrected the issues so hopefully itll be a seamless intigration

brett
Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

does the Regen cycle really take that much diesel?

A quick Google search on it, shows some of the powerjoke boys get 20+ mpg's on there trucks with it. I thought it was purely for emissions, I'm having trouble seeing how it improves mileage, except if the Regen cycle literally dumps diesel into the system and now you are skipping that step.
2012 3500 MCSB DRW Laramie, Black, Auto, 4X4, 3.73's 285/75/17 Toyo AT2's Fully Deleted with H&S XRT Pro & Overdrive, Edge Insight(EAS Pyro and DP.), MBRP Downpipe, Magnaflow Filter-Back, aFe Cooler delete, and Pusher intake, ARP 425's, Peragon, Infinity Subs.
BubbaDuss is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Air Force Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDuss View Post
does the Regen cycle really take that much diesel?

A quick Google search on it, shows some of the powerjoke boys get 20+ mpg's on there trucks with it. I thought it was purely for emissions, I'm having trouble seeing how it improves mileage, except if the Regen cycle literally dumps diesel into the system and now you are skipping that step.
There's guys on this site claiming they get 20 mpg on their trucks too. I know one of the moderators on the Powerstroke website and he gets 18 mpg on the highway with his 2011 F350. I averaged 18 mpg driving empty from Salt Lake City to San Diego and back on my truck (with a tonneau cover).

I personally don't want to deal with a urea system on my truck. One more thing to do and to go wrong. I go on the Powerstroke website just to see how the Ford 6.7 is doing. It may be me but it seems like the new Ford trucks are starting to see problems with the engines and trannys.

I'll stick my stock Cummins and drive it for years to come.
2008 Mercedes Diesel GL 320 CDI (my wife's car)
Civil and Structural Engineer
Totally Stock and Love it!

GSM24 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I'm on my stock 5.9 still and it has never once given me a headache I couldn't fix in an hour at most. I love how simple it is.

My uncle always used to tell me, "the less you have, the less that can go wrong." but I'm still looking to learn why there is an MPG factor with urea.
2012 3500 MCSB DRW Laramie, Black, Auto, 4X4, 3.73's 285/75/17 Toyo AT2's Fully Deleted with H&S XRT Pro & Overdrive, Edge Insight(EAS Pyro and DP.), MBRP Downpipe, Magnaflow Filter-Back, aFe Cooler delete, and Pusher intake, ARP 425's, Peragon, Infinity Subs.
BubbaDuss is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Taco Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
The regen causes a late 4th injection event that basically pumps fuel through the exhaust to burn off the dpf...

Sent from my Droid Charge while struggling with this $#!++ samsung swype keyboard
02 Taco Prerunner Auto
cmns2500 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I personally couldnt tell you when it regens and i have two of them with DPF.

I dont know if its because they run so hard its burning hot alot or what.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Taco Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeman View Post
I personally couldnt tell you when it regens and i have two of them with DPF.

I dont know if its because they run so hard its burning hot alot or what.
Do you run the hell out of em? If you do, you're doing passive regens that don't inject fuel in...

Sent from my Droid Charge while struggling with this $#!++ samsung swype keyboard
02 Taco Prerunner Auto
cmns2500 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I guess you could say that i do run the hell out of it. Most trips on big road i rarely drive under 70. Sometimes 85. Just depends.

Last week 340 miles in 5 hours with a loaded trailer. I was ready to get home. Not all of that was big road.100 miles or better was 2 lane.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Drove all three diesel makes today at one dealership. All 2012 models. Have to say I liked the Dodge better. Ford is nice and would be my second choice and GM last but the GM did drive better/ride better than the other two. Pretty quick off the line. Would outrun the ford on top end but ford spin the tires from dead stop for 2 feet. Just didnt like the soft tranny shifts. GM is out of the question since I have owned 5 of them in the past.

The dodge laramie has way more standard features than the other two. Even king ranch doesnt have an easy tilt wheel manuver like dodge or gm. I tilt mine alot getting in and out sometimes. I did like it telescoping though. The pedals also go back further on the ford than dodge. GM didnt have it. Leather quality was basically same in all three except king ranch which i didnt like as good as the lariat. Lariat was more soft seating not as firm. Overall the dodge still won out. Radio and other conv features are better integrated than the other two. I can keep my ipod in the dash rather than have a cord visible for everyone to see. Unless you upgrade to the touch screen on both of the other two. The GM with touch screen wasnt any better than the dodge 730.

Down side to the dodge was the height. Only negative thing I can come up with. Rides more stiff I guess but that about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.