whats the deal? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
whats the deal?

I bought a 2016 ram diesel. Yes, I don't know much about diesel vehicles. I am a woman, bear with me.

Had a bad altercation in town, and then my regular car got damaged on the passenger side. I about cried. I don't really want the same to happen to my truck, but thought that worse things could happen. I have been kept up nights with the "sugar in the gas tank" scenario on my mind. Locking fuel caps seemed like the next step. I knew about these from seeing one once on a pickup.

This brought me back to an original concern. When I picked up the truck from the dealer, it was only by chance that I looked under the fuel door. The dealer assured me that the truck does not need a cap to prevent people stealing fuel or from dirt or water from the car wash because of screens and filters. He should know, right? I kept that little red thing anyway, at least to make myself feel better about stuff accidentally getting in.

So, I have been lurking in this forum and others for awhile. I finally joined tonight to post about a solution I found. I found a locking cap for my truck with a google search, finally. It's a bemauto cap. I don't get why dodge wouldn't have one. They have some sort of cover with a line attached that you're supposed to put somewhere (I"m not handy so I don't know.) so why don't they have a locking one? I also saw locking fuel doors in the google search, but not being handy, I can't do that.

The bemauto cap is making me feel better about things for the Ram now that it is installed. I still have to find a locking cap for my car, though. I tried to yank off the bemauto cap, but it wasn't going anywhere. I think you could pry it off with a tool, but that would be pretty obvious because you'd have to take some or all of the plastic fuel neck with it.

67guzzler and eafarriss like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to cummins_femme For This Useful Post:
v10sport (05-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 AM
Cummins Fanatic

BEM auto. Here's a link. EZ-Cap for Dodge Ram Cummins and Ecodiesel
67guzzler and cummins_femme like this.

SteveB 2015 3500 DRW Tradesman CC
2001.5 3500 2WD QC, ETH/DEE,SOLD-8/2015
1996 1500 4X4 RC/SB 318/AT SOLD-8/2010
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:24 AM
THE ANTI-PEARL WHITE

If you try to poor something in the tank without pushing the flap in the tank open, whatever you try to dump in it will go on the ground......

2016 2500 cc 4x4 6.7 Hills Greena.k.a Jeffrow Hulk BAP emblems, Weathertechs, Color matched, Bush Wackers, 8.4AN single zone, steering wheel controls, BDS Dual Hoop, 6.5" Zone Lift, Fox 2.0 20x12 Octanes, Grampa Campa(Ranch Echo)37x12.50r20 Ridge Grapplers
2014 Durango R/T Granite Crystal (zippy minivan)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Diesel Head

whats the deal?

The phone number on the cap kills the deal for me. Around here if you lock the tank you get a screwdriver poked through the bottom of your tank and a bucket placed underneath when the fuel gets stolen. It just does not happen very often anymore around here anyway.
The gasket they use looks interesting. There is a large tolerance in filler neck size and if that can accommodate them it will be appealing to more people.
Just get the phone number on a business card or website instead.
CNS8888 likes this.

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Herzog For This Useful Post:
CNS8888 (05-18-2017)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
If you try to poor something in the tank without pushing the flap in the tank open, whatever you try to dump in it will go on the ground......
That pour girl-
GNBEAST, Redthies and The Hulk like this.

'16 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Cummins CCLB 4x4 68rfe
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Supporting Vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Herzog View Post
The phone number on the cap kills the deal for me. Around here if you lock the tank you get a screwdriver poked through the bottom of your tank and a bucket placed underneath when the fuel gets stolen. It just does not happen very often anymore around here anyway.
The gasket they use looks interesting. There is a large tolerance in filler neck size and if that can accommodate them it will be appealing to more people.
Just get the phone number on a business card or website instead.
Robert (the owner of BEM) told me to respond to your post. He's not real forum savvy, so he thanks you for your criticism and since you were kind enough even to make a mention of the seal we use on the caps in such a kindly light, we'd make you a special locking cap without phone number or logo when we run the next production. If you want, of course.

Robert thought the phone number would be an aid to the end user, not a detriment to the product, so he never foresaw that people might not like it.

Thanks for having checked out our website. All the best.

Nicole Smith

BEM Auto
Orders & Tech Support: (785) 562-2475

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- sales support

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know about needing something to open the line. That's why I bought a long funnel to treat my fuel in the winter. Somebody had to tell me, so it seems like its common knowledge.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNS8888 View Post
Robert (the owner of BEM) told me to respond to your post. He's not real forum savvy, so he thanks you for your criticism and since you were kind enough even to make a mention of the seal we use on the caps in such a kindly light, we'd make you a special locking cap without phone number or logo when we run the next production. If you want, of course.

Robert thought the phone number would be an aid to the end user, not a detriment to the product, so he never foresaw that people might not like it.

Thanks for having checked out our website. All the best.

I think the seal is a great design. A one size fits all would be ideal as many reviews on other caps are all over the place as being too loose or too tight. I had to go through three orings for my billet cap. The manufacturer included ones that are the most common size but too small for my truck. They sent me their largest oring and it fit perfectly. But, my truck may have been stretched some by the cap plug with wing nut that i had.
I apologize for my statement on the phone number. I do understand it will help the end user and to be able to contact the manufacturer easily is nice. I guess i saw it as advertising which was probably not the intent. Not many will see it but the owner.
The locking cap is nice. It does not have to be bullet proof to be functional. A little determent goes a long ways. And, it is nice to have people and companies actually providing us with options we did not have earlier. Good work!
CNS8888 likes this.

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins_femme View Post
I bought a 2016 ram diesel. Yes, I don't know much about diesel vehicles. I am a woman, bear with me.

Had a bad altercation in town, and then my regular car got damaged on the passenger side. I about cried. I don't really want the same to happen to my truck, but thought that worse things could happen. I have been kept up nights with the "sugar in the gas tank" scenario on my mind. Locking fuel caps seemed like the next step. I knew about these from seeing one once on a pickup.

This brought me back to an original concern. When I picked up the truck from the dealer, it was only by chance that I looked under the fuel door. The dealer assured me that the truck does not need a cap to prevent people stealing fuel or from dirt or water from the car wash because of screens and filters. He should know, right? I kept that little red thing anyway, at least to make myself feel better about stuff accidentally getting in.

So, I have been lurking in this forum and others for awhile. I finally joined tonight to post about a solution I found. I found a locking cap for my truck with a google search, finally. It's a bemauto cap. I don't get why dodge wouldn't have one. They have some sort of cover with a line attached that you're supposed to put somewhere (I"m not handy so I don't know.) so why don't they have a locking one? I also saw locking fuel doors in the google search, but not being handy, I can't do that.

The bemauto cap is making me feel better about things for the Ram now that it is installed. I still have to find a locking cap for my car, though. I tried to yank off the bemauto cap, but it wasn't going anywhere. I think you could pry it off with a tool, but that would be pretty obvious because you'd have to take some or all of the plastic fuel neck with it.

I just kept the red cap that came with my truck, plus I have insurance and filters. If someone puts something in my tank and it ruins the engine, insurance will pay for it.

FYI - if you're worried about someone doing something to your truck you can always get a dashcam with parking mode recording. I have the Thinkware F770 but to be honest, it asks to format the card too often for my tastes and I would not buy the same one again.

There are a number of dual channel cameras on the market. Blackvue and Thinkware top the list as of 2016, but there may be new players on the market.

2017 2500 MegaCab 4x4
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAdam View Post
I just kept the red cap that came with my truck, plus I have insurance and filters. If someone puts something in my tank and it ruins the engine, insurance will pay for it.

FYI - if you're worried about someone doing something to your truck you can always get a dashcam with parking mode recording. I have the Thinkware F770 but to be honest, it asks to format the card too often for my tastes and I would not buy the same one again.

There are a number of dual channel cameras on the market. Blackvue and Thinkware top the list as of 2016, but there may be new players on the market.
Yep, a camera is a good idea. I even picked up a high dollar Russian model. I really like it. Nothing on the cam so far, though.

I have all the insurance that State Farm can buy, but I don't want to be out a truck for something I could possibly prevent. All said and done I feel better with the cap.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Diesel Head

It would have been so simple to have a locking door on these things. Seriously locking doors have been around for years, they just choose not to because it saves them a few bucks and everyone will still buy the trucks and still pay the inflated prices for them.

Yeah there are double flappers but a simple flat head opens both.

I prefer not to use my insurance if I can help it, much prefer to take action on my own behalf as much as possible to not inflate everyones insurance prices in my area (which is what happens when claims go up in your area).

As far as punching the tank to get fuel, they gotta do that anyways unless they bypass the check ball somehow.

2014 3500 Tradesman CCSB, SRW, 6.7, G56, QG56DDSN-ORG

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Diesel Head

I think the locking cap is pretty slick. If I made one I'd sure as hell put my number on it.
Homeless Junkie and CNS8888 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode