Price quote for head studs install - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Price quote for head studs install

i called a shop by me to get a quote for studs and was quoted $2500 for extreme studs. seems like that included the price of the studs. was also told that he doesnt do it one by one and prefers to remove the whole head. am i being over charged?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
You need to find out what he's doing. If he's pulling the head he better be decking the head and block for that price.
No need to pull the head just to install studs.

2012 Crew 4x Auto CTD
06 MEGA TRE Trans, E.D. 63/68, EFI by Les @ SBT, Motorsport Diesel Pump
06 750hp Built By TRE Diesel SOLD
Former United States Marine . Good luck and God speed to all our troops!
Current Professional Firefighter
The Following User Says Thank You to RyeThomas For This Useful Post:
GNBEAST (05-16-2017)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeThomas View Post
You need to find out what he's doing. If he's pulling the head he better be decking the head and block for that price.
No need to pull the head just to install studs.
i asked why he does that. he said its to make sure the mating surface is flat. he said he refuses to do it one by one. but i think its pointless to pull the head considering my truck only has 500miles on it.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 PM

Garage
I know there is a torque sequence that is supposed to be followed when installing head bolts. This is too ensure that the head remains flat against the block when installing the head bolts. There is a certain sequence that has to be followed as well as two or three different torque lbs. Do one sequence at a certain lbs then another sequence at a certain lbs and then the final lbs torque spec in a certain sequence. That is the only reason I could see the shop refusing to do one at a time. If you remove one and put one back in its spot, there is (albeit a small chance) a chance that it could cause a small amount of warping to the head. There is also (probably the main reason) the possibility that the head gasket will not retain a proper seal causing a whole host of other issues.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:21 PM

I can see his point, if you check the head/deck surface and its in spec thats great, if it is out then he could be liable if you blow a gasket out. Probability of it being out of spec is likely damn near zero. Its not like you are doing this to a 6.0 Powerstroke.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

i guess his main purpose is to make sure the gasket doesnt lose its seal by doing it one by one. also, the price he quoted me includes all machining work that needs to be done.

also, my reason for doing studs is to bulletproof my truck, i wont be hot rodding it. i just want to make sure my truck never leaves me stranded
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Diesel Freak

I would never, ever, break the factory seal just to add studs. There's 1000's who have done them one at a time with no problems. There's no seal like the factory seal.
Andy2500, cjgoode and pwrmvr like this.

2015 2500 Laramie ccsb CTD, Lots of thuren goodies, fox shox, bmf novakanes, amp steps, lost a few parts underneath, and the list goes on......
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Find another shop that will install the studs one by one and not touch the headgasket. There is no need to replace if there is no issue now. Extra work for the sake of doing it is pointless.

'12 Ram 2500 CC 6.7/Auto/4wd - AFE drop in, Raceme, EGR Delete, Flo Pro 4" TBE, 17x9 Addicts 285/75/17 Nitto HTs, Reverse Leveled, Bilstein 5100s, 5" Iboard Steps
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

so what is a price range should i be looking for in labor? assuming the person does it one by one without removing the head.

the shop i called seems reputable?

this is their web page

http://massdiesel.com

i dont know enough about this to argue with the guy about doing it one by one.

by the way, im located in NYC and have a place in NH. so im open to suggestions for other shops in the area (VT, CT, MA)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Cummins Fanatic

So, you have a brand new truck with 500 miles on the new Cummins engine, nothing wrong with it, and you want to open it up just to change out headstuds? Not building it? Trying to make crazy power? Am i missing something? The engine in itself is more than likely the most reliable part of that truck.

16 CTD 2500 Bright White Crew Cab
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker111 View Post
So, you have a brand new truck with 500 miles on the new Cummins engine, nothing wrong with it, and you want to open it up just to change out headstuds? Not building it? Trying to make crazy power? Am i missing something? The engine in itself is more than likely the most reliable part of that truck.
I share the opinion of Walker111........

'16 2500 CTD 4x4 CCSB laramie Sport - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM

I've done prolly 50 trucks one at a time, never had a failure I know of. There is no reason to remove a head to do studs, that's stupid. I charged 600 labor to do the studs, which included cutting the rocker box to fit and running the valve lash and setting to .010 intake and .020 exhaust. Something in that ball park is fair I think for the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode