2016 2500, should I? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2016 2500, should I?

First time posting here. Looking for opinions and suggestions on whether or not I should purchase a used 2016 2500. I would be trading in a 2014 GMC 1500. I have had both headlights go out at the same time within one year of install and the AC went out, both happened outside warranty and cost me a little less than $1K. I recently purchased a boat, that dry, weighs around 6,000 and can total out around 8-9K fully loaded up. That puts the 1500 at max tow. I don't think I will be towing every weekend, but several times a year for sure. I fear the strain on the 1500 will start to wear it down quickly.

The 2500 I am looking at has around 16k miles, Laramie, Cummins diesel, bench seating, was offered a spray in bedliner, $45k. The gas mileage on the computer was showing 27mpg on the highway (65mph) which is way better than my 1500. Trade in value of my truck (40k miles) is $32.5k. I would end up financing in the end around $10k. The vehicle history states rental, one owner, clean car fax. It looks like it was used to haul and or trailer something and has some rush on the frame underneath and a lot of clay. They said they would detail it and take care of all the clay.

I want a capable, trust worthy vehicle that will last me a long time. I'd like to see comparable or better fuel efficiency than my 1500.

Should I make this deal?? thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Cummins Nut

$10K for a Cummins? I'd take that every day if it's in excellent condition-

Towing a 8-9K lb boat with a freekin 1/2 ton Chevy is a menace to society!
rskeans and 2dtbird like this.

'16 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Cummins CCLB 4x4 68rfe
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
$10K for a Cummins? I'd take that every day if it's in excellent condition-

Towing a 8-9K lb boat with a freekin 1/2 ton Chevy is a menace to society!
It seems to be in pretty good shape. A little concerned about the rust on the undercarriage, but I am assuming that is normal. It was purchased in Utah I believe. I can't post a link yet as I dont have enough posts...

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Diesel Freak

You should have a bigger truck whether it be a RAM, Chevy or Ford. The RAM you're looking at sounds like a 'no brainer'. Do it.
readc likes this.

2014 3500 CC Longhorn 6.7 4X4 4.10 LB Aisin DRW. Western Brown, Lifestyle LS36FW 5ver, Andersen Ultimate AL 5th wheel hitch. Aero Tanks 70 gal replacement tank, SOLD: '08 F350 CC 6.4 4X4 4.10 LB DRW
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Cummins Nut

That GMC will get that in trade? Wow I would do that in a second and tow easy with the Cummins. I could have towed with an Eco-diesel at the max; but thought the 3500 is the do all and tow all truck for the long term.

My only dislike is the ride; but of course 1/2 tons ride much better and you get used to it kind of.

Good luck.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Diesel Head

It most definitely doesn't get 27mpg, so do not expect that for mileage. someone must have reset it and spent some time coasting. 14-17 mpg avg in city, and 16-20 avg on highway would be more realistic
2dtbird and tsax6010 like this.

2011 CCLB 3500, G56, 4'' TBE, Sinister EGR delete, EFI Live by Anarchy
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karirick View Post
That GMC will get that in trade? Wow I would do that in a second and tow easy with the Cummins. I could have towed with an Eco-diesel at the max; but thought the 3500 is the do all and tow all truck for the long term.

My only dislike is the ride; but of course 1/2 tons ride much better and you get used to it kind of.

Good luck.
There will be a BIG difference in ride between a half ton GM and heavy duty RAM - I've had both. The only thing I can recommend is take it for a good test drive to see how you like the ride, and also go as fast as 75-80 mph to ensure it doesn't have the dreaded shake. You'll love driving around with the windows down listening to the Cummins.
2dtbird likes this.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal w/ Sport Appearance Group, rear air suspension
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
There will be a BIG difference in ride between a half ton GM and heavy duty RAM - I've had both. The only thing I can recommend is take it for a good test drive to see how you like the ride, and also go as fast as 75-80 mph to ensure it doesn't have the dreaded shake. You'll love driving around with the windows down listening to the Cummins.
Today will be my 3rd test drive. Honestly, I knew the ride would be different, but its not terrible. The seats are more comfortable than the GMC, so that helps a lot.

I will get on the interstate today and see if I notice any shake up to 80mph. And yes, I already love starting it up with the windows down.

Are there any major quality concerns I should be aware of? the '14 GMC's 1500 have a lot of issues....Headlights being numero uno.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Renaissance Redneck BCVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by karirick View Post

Good luck.
I agree. If it's only a $10k bump to go up to a diesel and 2 years newer? Jump on it!

Karirick- What pressure are you running in your tires? Unless you are loaded to the max every day, I'd be running 55 front and 50 rear. Anything more than that is crazy and unnecessary.

2014 3500 SXT 4x4 68RFE, Thurens, 5100s, 295/70-18 Cooper ST Maxxxxxs, Wet Okoles, Dog hair mod.
Quote:BobSagetIsGod?
The only way I'd do a 26x16 is with a 12 inch wide tire and a Carolina squat. I'd be swimming in kitty.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Renaissance Redneck BCVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
It most definitely doesn't get 27mpg, so do not expect that for mileage. someone must have reset it and spent some time coasting. 14-17 mpg avg in city, and 16-20 avg on highway would be more realistic
These numbers a very close to reality. Some guys get mid 20s but they are borderline "hyper-miling". Going 50 mph on flat interstate for hours on end. Possible, but not exactly practical for most people.

OP- There are a few common issues with the Cummins trucks. Vibration can be one of them, but you are on that one. If your prospective truck has any other common issues, they likely would have appeared by now. You will be getting the balance of warranty, so if it has a clean carfax and you get a mechanical inspection done (I would spend the $100) and it drives nice, I'd say go for it.

2014 3500 SXT 4x4 68RFE, Thurens, 5100s, 295/70-18 Cooper ST Maxxxxxs, Wet Okoles, Dog hair mod.
Quote:BobSagetIsGod?
The only way I'd do a 26x16 is with a 12 inch wide tire and a Carolina squat. I'd be swimming in kitty.
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
These numbers a very close to reality. Some guys get mid 20s but they are borderline "hyper-miling". Going 50 mph on flat interstate for hours on end. Possible, but not exactly practical for most people.

OP- There are a few common issues with the Cummins trucks. Vibration can be one of them, but you are on that one. If your prospective truck has any other common issues, they likely would have appeared by now. You will be getting the balance of warranty, so if it has a clean carfax and you get a mechanical inspection done (I would spend the $100) and it drives nice, I'd say go for it.
Nice! My buddy owns a dealership and said he'd give it a mechanical inspection for free after i purchase. I guess then if there are issues I can get it taken care of under warranty.

Definitely starting to lean towards a purchase here!
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode