first time RAM buyer - 3500 - what do you think? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
first time RAM buyer - 3500 - what do you think?

Hello,

I am a soon to be first time truck buyer and have my eye on the following truck:

2017 RAM 3500 SLT Megacab 4x4 Cummins diesel with AISIN

I want the truck for towing small-medium travel trailers, a lightweight or popup truck camper, maybe a medium sized 5th wheel some day. I don't want bucket seats because I want to be able to carry 6 passengers.

I have looked for used but nothing close to what I want is available.

I have 2 questions.

First, I have built my vehicle at RAM.com and a well-known out of state dealer is offering me about 15% off MSRP for a custombuilt truck, including all rebates and dealer fees but excluding taxes. This seems fair to good but not great. It is $56,000 for a $65,000 MSRP and I have to finance through FCA at 4.04% APR. What do you think?

Second, I want to post the build I have for your opinion if I am missing any features or if you think I have the packages built right for my purposes. Like I say, I've never bought a truck before, or a RAM, and I've never towed anything big, so this is all kind of new to me and I don't want to make a mistake. I want this truck to last me 'forever' while we evolve through different trailers.

I sure appreciate this forum and all the info containted in it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500newtome View Post
Hello,

I am a soon to be first time truck buyer and have my eye on the following truck:

2017 RAM 3500 SLT Megacab 4x4 Cummins diesel with AISIN

I want the truck for towing small-medium travel trailers, a lightweight or popup truck camper, maybe a medium sized 5th wheel some day. I don't want bucket seats because I want to be able to carry 6 passengers.

I have looked for used but nothing close to what I want is available.

I have 2 questions.

First, I have built my vehicle at RAM.com and a well-known out of state dealer is offering me about 15% off MSRP for a custombuilt truck, including all rebates and dealer fees but excluding taxes. This seems fair to good but not great. It is $56,000 for a $65,000 MSRP and I have to finance through FCA at 4.04% APR. What do you think?

Second, I want to post the build I have for your opinion if I am missing any features or if you think I have the packages built right for my purposes. Like I say, I've never bought a truck before, or a RAM, and I've never towed anything big, so this is all kind of new to me and I don't want to make a mistake. I want this truck to last me 'forever' while we evolve through different trailers.

I sure appreciate this forum and all the info containted in it!

I got a 3500 SRW 3 weeks ago. It's a Big Horn with a bunch of upgrades. I didn't go with the Aisin tho. I paid around $50000(MSRP $63000) with 2.79% loan. I found it extremely hard to get more then $11500 off MSRP(lots of shopping around). Maybe later in the year it will be easier. This is my first truck also I am loving it so far. The Aisin is "a better" transmission with more torque but I could not justify the additional $3000 for my situation. After the warranty period I believe the 68rfe is cheaper to replace/repair if there are issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Diesel Head

Welcome to CF.
From what I have seen on posted prices here, I think you may be able to get another $2k of the price as many have been discounted in the 10-12K range off MSRP, and you're at 9K.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie CCLB 6.7,4x4, Fully Deleted, BD Air Horn, EFI Live w/ Trans Tune, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, Injen Evo CAI, Riding 35x12.50's on 20's, SnugTop,Amsoil Bypass Filter & Oil, RetroShop FXR Projectors w/ HID's, Morimoto LED Fog's, Back Seat Fold Down Hack. Titan 60 Gal Mid-Ship Tank.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:23 PM

first time RAM buyer - 3500 - what do you think?

I drove this very truck in the Laramie package last weekend. I'm still talking myself into a completely unnecessary upgrade for my current needs... YOLO is what keeps coming to mind. My problem is I don't currently have a trailer (won't for a couple more years) and I'm extremely happy w/ my '14 1500 sport. Wish I could be more help but I can tell you the truck you're looking at is one HELL of a rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Diesel Freak

I have to wonder - that 5th wheel is some years in the future- why not a 2500 with the future step up plan being a conventional hitch. Unless you get a big 5th wheel, in which case you need DRW, the conventional has lower overhead and less wind resistance, and crosswind effect. The 2500 makes a fine tow vehicle, is a little lighter, rides a little better - small advantages, but I don't see a downside in the use you describe.

2015 RAM 3500 CC LB SRW, 4x4, Aisin, BigHorn, 8.4an, Husky-X, Duraflap, cabin air filter, LTX MS/2, Maxiscan MS310, Super Z cables, US Cargo 60K recovery strap. Also 1998.5 NV4500, RWD
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

what do you mean by "conventional hitch"?

For those posting prices, were you special ordering or ordering off the lot? There aren't many trucks like this in inventory - 3500 mega with SRW and AISIN - so I'm forced to order which seems to weaken by bargaining position?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:

For those posting prices, were you special ordering or ordering off the lot? There aren't many trucks like this in inventory - 3500 mega with SRW and AISIN - so I'm forced to order which seems to weaken by bargaining position?
I'd make sure it's equipped with the Auxiliary switches they will be handy for hooking up accessories later down the road. Depending on the RV you get later will determine a safe tow with DRW over a SRW. DRW will always be more stable towing no matter what your towing. The heavier you tow the more you will appreciate a DRW. Its the difference between white knukle towing and a pleasure towing safely. If towing 4x4 can also make for ease and piece of mind not getting stuck in the woods with a heavy load. Plan on better tires since the OEM ones are cheap tires and wont last much past 20,000 miles. Think hard on what RV you want to get before you buy your truck or you may be limiting yourself on the RV you can safely tow. Just because you can tow heavy in your mind with a SRW doesn't mean its a pleasure to do so or safe to do it. Plan for the future of your truck useage before you buy.
On price, looks ok but i think you can get a better interest rate than 4.04%. I'm at 1.79% and 1.9% is pritty common right now at most credit unions which are easy to join and get financing from.
krs likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Diesel Head

Factory 5th wheel tow prep is also a nice option giving you all the hook ups in the bed and at the bumper with electrical and trailer brake controller inside the cab.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Diesel Head

SInce this wasnt mention also hit up IndyTruckChampion he is a member on this forum and he sells trucks at pretty good deals. He is located in Indiana but hauls the vehicle to you or can meet you half way. Tons of members on here have bought from him and are super happy with the experience they had.

As mention think about what 5th wheel you would want down the future but dont be scare with a 2500 it can still tow alot as well. i have a 38.5 ft 5th wheel loaded around 15kish but max it can go up to is 16k havent had issues towing it in my 2000 2500 or my 2015 2500. i will say 15/16k 5th wheel is about far as you would want to go in a 2500. Since you mention you will want to keep this truck for a long time think about what kind of 5th wheel you would want some day down the line because a dually would make it nice but if biggest 5th wheel you get will be 10k then a SRW will work just fine.
AngryBeaver likes this.

2015 Ram 2500 Auto 4x4 CCLB
2000 Dodge ram 2500 5spd, Airdog 150, 2wd with 378000 miles, 90hp injectors, and triple gauge pillar pod
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Besides greed I'm not sure why it would be. This is a guaranteed sale for their numbers (bottom line) and they still get reimbursements from FCA.

My dealer found my truck at another dealership and still gave me all discounts and rebates available. He's all about his sales numbers.

Win - win

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Diesel Freak

I think you can do better on price. I bought mine at Dillion in Idaho. Sticker was $55,000 +/-. Bought it for $$42,500. This was on a factory order. I did have to finance with them and was told I couldn't refinance for 6 months. Never saw anything in the contract that held me to that other than the line of BS the finance manager was spewing and I refinanced with my local Credit Union before the 2nd payment was due(dropping from their 4% rate to the Credit Unions 1.45% rate).
AngryBeaver likes this.

2016 3500 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab, Long Bed, SLT trim
5th Wheel Tow Pkg
Factory Rear Air Suspension
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Diesel Freak

Conventional = receiver hitch - that 2" or 2 1/2" receiver into which the tow bar holding the "ball" is inserted.

Based on your description, and truck spec - you might do well with a 2500 and conventional hitch. 5th wheels and DRW trucks (either or both but not necessarily both) certainly have their place and advantages, but they also have disadvantages - many of them.

2015 RAM 3500 CC LB SRW, 4x4, Aisin, BigHorn, 8.4an, Husky-X, Duraflap, cabin air filter, LTX MS/2, Maxiscan MS310, Super Z cables, US Cargo 60K recovery strap. Also 1998.5 NV4500, RWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode