Future Trans Options, 8 sp ZF? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Future Trans Options, 8 sp ZF?

Lots of you folks know follow this stuff more closely than I do, so I figured Id ask...is the new Demon tranny based om the 8sp ZF? If so, sure seems like it can ne built to hold power...I know torque is a different animal, but still...quite impressive. Do you guys think we will see a trans based on the 8sp ZF in our trucks in the future? If so what are your thoughts?

Seems like it might be a good fit. And with programming it could probably be operated in several modes...econ, sport, race, tow, etc...

2016 2500 6.7L, Crew Cab SB, Laramie, 4x4, 4" Flo-Pro Delete Pipe, GDP EGR Delete, EFI Live by Anarchy Diesel

2016 2500 6.7L, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Laramie, 4x4
4" Flo-Pro Delete Pipe, GDP EGR Delete, EFI Live by Anarchy Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,436 Times in 937 Posts
Hope not. My truck is constantly shifting as it is. I hear a few complaints about the 8spds in Jeeps.

In my mind I'd go nuts. I would think to myself "welp there it goes again, yup just shifted again..oh yup another shift again"

I'm used to it in my kenworth (10spd) but if I'm not towing I would hate it.
pwr2tow and chuckie2.oh like this.

'14 3.6 grocery getter
'14 6.7 S465 tuned by HPP
'17 6.7 tuned by HPP
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,184 Posts
Demon is 770 torque, and at a much higher rpm than the peak on the Cummins.

I can't see the 8HP90 being able to be modified enough to handle the 1000 ft lbs that will eventually come to the Cummins 6.7. It would have to be a whole new trans, that would be an expensive proposition. Would be something if it happens.

They will have to come up with something to handle that torque, we'll see what they end up doing.
chuckie2.oh likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
Why I run the truck that I run:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post
Hope not. My truck is constantly shifting as it is. I hear a few complaints about the 8spds in Jeeps.

In my mind I'd go nuts. I would think to myself "welp there it goes again, yup just shifted again..oh yup another shift again"

Not necessarily, from what I've read of the new 10 speed F150, it might go through all the gears or if you get on the gas it'll skip gears. More gears can give the engine better opportunity to be in the ideal RPM.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal w/ Sport Appearance Group, rear air suspension
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post

Lol cool that you drive a semi...been my dream to one day buy one

I was thinking that all 8 gears wouldnt be needed most of the time. Especially with that kind of torque...like you guys mentioned though, itd have to be a heck of a build to handle it.

2016 2500 6.7L, Crew Cab SB, Laramie, 4x4, 4" Flo-Pro Delete Pipe, GDP EGR Delete, EFI Live by Anarchy Diesel

The Following User Says Thank You to chuckie2.oh For This Useful Post:
nick00less (04-12-2017)
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,184 Posts
An 8 speed, or 9 or 10, would be good for fuel economy. But, as I stated, the cost to develop a new trans of that nature would be very high.
chuckie2.oh likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
Why I run the truck that I run:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Not necessarily, from what I've read of the new 10 speed F150, it might go through all the gears or if you get on the gas it'll skip gears. More gears can give the engine better opportunity to be in the ideal RPM.
True, but when you're skipping gears it kinda defeats the purpose of having more gears.

2017 Pearl White Ram 3500 Laramie CCSB SRW
Cummins HO | Aisin | Air | Snow Chief 4x4
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
True, but when you're skipping gears it kinda defeats the purpose of having more gears.
I disagree. Depending on what speed you're towing at for example, the transmission could have more gear options to optimize your RPM. There's no need to shift through ALL gears all the time. There could even be a wider ratio overall with more gears so you could have a nice low RPM at higher highway speeds for example.
chuckie2.oh likes this.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal w/ Sport Appearance Group, rear air suspension
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I disagree. Depending on what speed you're towing at for example, the transmission could have more gear options to optimize your RPM. There's no need to shift through ALL gears all the time. There could even be a wider ratio overall with more gears so you could have a nice low RPM at higher highway speeds for example.
True, for towing all the gears would be nice, keep the engine right in max torque all the time. And as someone else mentioned it would help fuel economy.

Those semi truck auto manuals seem like an interesting proposition. I always wondered why they never built manual trannys that were shifted automatically. I figured maybe they couldnt shift quick enough to handle normal driving...but Ive seen how they work in the semi trucks and they seem to shift quickly...and holding power isnt an issue for those big diesels pushing 1800 lb ft...

I just remembered the VW auto stick. Dated a chick in high school that had one...that thing blew my mind. I need to google how those worked...

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
An 8 speed, or 9 or 10, would be good for fuel economy. But, as I stated, the cost to develop a new trans of that nature would be very high.
Yeah the cost, spot on thats the issue I bet. Then again why not spend the money for the best solution out there? If u build it they will come lol

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,436 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie2.oh View Post
Lol cool that you drive a semi...been my dream to one day buy one

I was thinking that all 8 gears wouldnt be needed most of the time. Especially with that kind of torque...like you guys mentioned though, itd have to be a heck of a build to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie2.oh View Post
True, for towing all the gears would be nice, keep the engine right in max torque all the time. And as someone else mentioned it would help fuel economy.

Those semi truck auto manuals seem like an interesting proposition. I always wondered why they never built manual trannys that were shifted automatically. I figured maybe they couldnt shift quick enough to handle normal driving...but Ive seen how they work in the semi trucks and they seem to shift quickly...and holding power isnt an issue for those big diesels pushing 1800 lb ft...

I just remembered the VW auto stick. Dated a chick in high school that had one...that thing blew my mind. I need to google how those worked...

Thanks it's like driving a car at this point. It's all about depth perception.

As for the auto manual that's what I have. It's an eaton fuller 10spd. If they did something like that in a ram I dunno how the market would respond. You bring up a good point about shifting characteristics in normal driving. When I'm unloaded it skips gears so I guess it could work. It would have to be one hell of a redesign. Possible..sure why not. The direction trucks are heading I wouldn't be surprised
chuckie2.oh likes this.

'14 3.6 grocery getter
'14 6.7 S465 tuned by HPP
'17 6.7 tuned by HPP
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Diesel Freak

The way trucks are going I'm waiting for them to be like trains, with a diesel that runs a gen set at a set rpm and electric motors on all four corners.
DarylB and chuckie2.oh like this.

2015 2500 Laramie ccsb CTD, Lots of thuren goodies, fox shox, bmf novakanes, amp steps, lost a few parts underneath, and the list goes on......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode