Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2016 Ram 4500

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  lbdodge24v 
#1 ·
Looking at possibly upgrading to a 2016 Ram 4500 from a 2001 3500. The 4500 is under a year old with 8600 miles on it. Already has a nice skirted flatbed on it and many other options. Truck has been fully deleted. Basically looks like new but with better tire and wheel option.

What would this truck be worth? Just looking for opinions on it.

Thanks for any and all info on this.

#4 ·
Top Tradesman. 4x4. Power windows, locks, and mirrors. Manual seats, The work grade material seats. Pronghorn skirted flatbed, ranchand front.

#6 ·
I'd say unless the '01 is giving you maintenance fits/expecting it to die soon or you need the extra capacity of the newer 4500, I'd just keep running the '01. Set aside what you'd expect your monthly payments to be on that '16 and watch the money pile up. Unless you're buying cash, then I don't know what to tell you haha.

#7 ·
The 01 unfortunately has the famous 53 block and is showing itself, needs painted, and the flatbed on it sucks. That's the bad part. Either way, money is going to be going somewhere. Just not sure which is the better option to put money into.

#10 ·
I'm thinking around 40 if it's a crew cab.

I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

It's a regular cab, which is what I would want. I know accessories aren't usually considered on price. So wasn't sure where it would fall with flatbed, ranch and front replacement, and Alcoa 22's.

I can say it looks like 4500's are priced all over. Found some new ones like this for mid 40's to 50's. Used ones are everywhere on price.

It's hard for me to look at it in every way, it's a sharp truck. It would look dang good in my driveway.

#13 ·
$50k. Which sounds high, but can't put one together for that price with all this one has.

#14 ·
Just curious. Did you blue book it? Might be a good starting point. I just bought a 14' for a couple thousand under blue book at a dealership. I really only had blue book value and looking up what other used trucks comparable where selling for.

#15 ·
I have tried. 4500 isn't a option for blue book or nada on line. I have been looking on autotrader and other places for pricing.

#16 ·
I think we paid close to $45 for our '16 5500 as a C&C. It is a very basic Tradesman. 3.0, power nothing, vinyl.

#17 ·
I guess my thoughts are I can't buy a new one and put a bed on it for much less

#19 ·
It would get deleted pretty soon, or as soon as a lil money freed up after buying one, putting flatbed on, and different tires. Most dealers here still take care of them even after deletes.

Some encourage the delete.

#20 ·
Should be asking the owner what it's worth to him. Not a lot of comparisons for Custom single cab 4500 work trucks.
Price should be low, as YOU are one of a very few IMO that want an almost new heavy hauler expensive work rig with NO warranty.
Look at it this way, if his price was a good deal, it would be sold already.
Flatbed, worth some $. 22s = bling, worth a little maybe to a tow truck driver. Ranch hand = who cares to the average commercial buyer. No elk or moose in GA, your radiator is safe! lol
Deleted = big deduct, IMO. It may be what YOU and a few others want. It is NOT what the masses who are buying a new work truck want. They want warranty for their money.
I'd walk in with $40k only because of the extra doodads on it and not come up much from there. You can go to Idaho and buy a new 3500 for that much.

#21 ·
Should be asking the owner what it's worth to him. Not a lot of comparisons for Custom single cab 4500 work trucks.

Price should be low, as YOU are one of a very few IMO that want an almost new heavy hauler expensive work rig with NO warranty.

Look at it this way, if his price was a good deal, it would be sold already.

Flatbed, worth some $. 22s = bling, worth a little maybe to a tow truck driver. Ranch hand = who cares to the average commercial buyer. No elk or moose in GA, your radiator is safe! lol

Deleted = big deduct, IMO. It may be what YOU and a few others want. It is NOT what the masses who are buying a new work truck want. They want warranty for their money.

I'd walk in with $40k only because of the extra doodads on it and not come up much from there. You can go to Idaho and buy a new 3500 for that much.

I understand what you are saying also. Main thing we have is deer, and I have hit my share of them and had to repair. Anything of mine has something protecting the front unless it's just an old beater truck. Just looking for opinions. It's one of those, can't build it for what he wants for it, but is it really worth it.

I appreciate all opinions on this from all angles.

#22 ·
I think you mostly have your mind made up. It sounds like it's what you want. If it's worth what he's asking to you then I don't see how you can go wrong. Throw him an offer under the 50k. Maybe you'll save a few more dollars. If you haven't negotiated on the price at all then I'm sure he's expecting an offer.

#23 ·
Make him a offer of $43,500 and tell him that's a good price considering it's deleted and no chance of a warranty on it.Sit back and let him think about it and see what he says and don't be in a hurry to offer any more.He has a one of a kind truck that not very many people are looking at and he knows it.Don't keep telling him it's a nice truck or your going to pay a premium for it,he will come back with probably a much higher figure and don't be hasty but after thinking awhile raise it up to $45,000 but your still concerned about no warranty.Play your cards right and you might get it for that ...

#24 ·
I'm in no hurry. It takes me 2 days to spend money on boots at times. I told him I had to keep my lil piggy bank happy to. Can't go whole hog. The taxes kill me on it. Shss. Just add another payment for them.

#26 ·
I will be honest. I hate the whole going back and forth to make a deal. I also know how it is to be on both sides. We shall see what happens. If it works out great, if it doesn't I just keep looking and driving what I have.

#28 ·
Didn't seem like anything was hurt. Sounded good and went down the road nicely. I am going to guess just wanted to build something else. A Ford was mentioned.

#29 ·
See if there's any older new 4500 or 5500 sitting on the lots.
There's a few around here, with a fleet discount I could get a 15, 5500 crew cab Laramie for 30-35% off sticker price.

I would take 20% off the best deal you could make on that truck new and then add 50% of the retail cost of the extras.
I would do the math but I have no idea what any of the stuff is worth over there.

#32 ·
I made an offer on what I could pay and still sleep at night. I know where the payment has to be. I don't think it is where he wants it. But I don't have to have the truck. I still got the 01 sitting here. Lol

#33 ·
There are plenty more trucks out there. I would just make sure he has your contact info. You might get a call when he's had no other takers in a week or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.