Convince Me - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Convince Me

So I find myself in a very fortunate situation. My company is willing to pick up most of my tab on the vehicle I own as long as it's within 5 years old. I currently own 02 ECSB Powerstroke and I do love it. 300K on the clock with a chip, exhaust and a tuner. Honestly. Love my truck. My 1st one, same year, was a ECLB with a 6 speed. Now I'm older, wife, 3 year old and another on the way. The extended cab just won't due. Tow a 35' 5th wheel about 6 times a year. I love rowing my own gears. I notice the manual version gets de-rated to 660ftlbs vs the 900 of the auto. I really want the 900ftlbs but know damn well when it needs a rebuild it's going to be a small fortune. The auto in the Powerstroke is original. I figure this is an out-liar and not the norm.

Here's my options:
1: By the manual now and after warranty is over slap a tuner on it
2: By the automatic and drive it till the tranny fails

I don't trade every few years so please weigh in.

The Following User Says Thank You to 7.3bluebetty For This Useful Post:
CowboyCummins fan (03-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:59 PM
THE ANTI-PEARL WHITE

The automatic will be fine unless you try to turn it up some. The 68rfe doesn't have the issues the older 48re had. My suggestion is to go to the dealership and drive one of each and make an opinion of your own.
7.3bluebetty likes this.

2016 2500 cc 4x4 6.7 Hills Greena.k.a Jeffrow Hulk BAP emblems, Weathertechs, Color matched, Bush Wackers, 8.4AN single zone, steering wheel controls, BDS Dual Hoop, 6.5" Zone Lift, Fox 2.0 20x12 Octanes, Grampa Campa(Ranch Echo)37x12.50r20 Ridge Grapplers
2014 Durango R/T Granite Crystal (zippy minivan)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Diesel Head

Buy the Aisin. It will go 300k.

2017 Pearl White Ram 3500 Laramie CCSB SRW
Cummins HO | Aisin | Air | Snow Chief 4x4

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I agree, had I thought just a little more, I would have gone 3500 in exact same config as my 2500 but with Aisin and 900 sweet torques!!!

2015 2500 4X4 CC Laramie in Black Forest Green 6.7 w/68RFE. N-Fab step bars, BakFlip HD Tonneau cover.
"What if the HOKEY POKEY "IS" what it's all about?"
"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:53 PM
The Radio Flyer

Thanked 5,401 Times in 2,831 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
This......

My AS69RC is currently at 222,978 miles.......and has not skipped a beat. It's been maintained by the book; it feels like it'll go another 222,978 miles (if not more) easily. Best additional consumer $$$'s I've ever dropped....

2014 RAM 3500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 385 hp 850 torque and AISIN 6 speed automatic in Flame Red, Snow Plow Prep Group (Protection Group & 220A Alternator), Popular Equipment Group, Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Appearance Group, Single Disc CD, LT235/80R17 Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD's, Trailer Brake Control, 3.73 axle ratio, 8.4 Radio w/SIRIUS, ParkSense Park Assist, Parkview Rear Backup Camera, B&W GNKR 1314 Gooseneck Hitch. Purchased new February 20th, 2014. Currently : 227,622 miles and 4,205 hours as of March 29th, 2017. (Average Miles Per Hour = 54.1)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Great advice spoken by all posters!! you can see the truck in my signature. totally love the manual!!! i always loved manuals! downside, weak clutch. i think i will either be doing a clutch in the pretty near future or, just taking it very easy and letting that eight cylinder diesel go tearing of in the distance!!!

i also run a 5500 Aisin equipped. very few complaints! i regularly gross around 30k. and the trans is nearly perfect!!

id suggest making the decision based somewhat on whether you want to be rowing through six gears everytime you start off and be in control or if you like the trans deciding which gear it think would be best for the time.

2012 CCLB Mineral Grey
6.7 Cummins G56

Sinister EGR Delete, Mini Maxx, 5" TBE Flo Pro with muffler.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Diesel Head

Welcome to CF.
Since your family is growing, you'll probably want a MegaCab, unless you must have an 8' long bed, then you will have to stay with the Crew Cab.

As far as the tranny's, if you want 900Ft Lbs. you must get the Aisin Tranny. These are pretty stout units.
Not that the 68RFE's are a bad tranny. (800Ft Lbs.) Some people have had problems but the majority do not.
No tranny is going to be fidiot proof. Throw a bunch of extra power at it and try some boosted launches, well you get the idea.
The G56's are down rated on the torque due to the stock clutches. Ram as well as any other manufacturer will set up the tranny to be as quiet and easy shifting as possible. They can always be upgraded with a DD setup.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie CCLB 6.7,4x4, Fully Deleted, BD Air Horn, EFI Live w/ Trans Tune, Injen Evo CAI, Riding 35x12.50's on 20's, SnugTop,Amsoil Bypass Filter & Oil, RetroShop FXR Projectors w/ HID's, Morimoto LED Fog's, Back Seat Fold Down Hack.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Diesel Head

I gotta say I love my G56. If mine got totalled I would buy another G56 in a heartbeat. No regrets.

I will say my truck is not my daily driver. I usually drive it twice a week.

It almost always has dirt bikes or snowmobiles in the back or in tow. It's my toy hauler to go riding and camping.

I live in Montana so I don't drive traffic at all but I deal with mountain passes and forest service roads on a weekly basis. For that, the manual is great.

I drove the Aisin and 68RFE and they just didn't do it for me. Especially with the 3.42 gears you are stuck with in the SRW.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

All very great point but I'm still torn. Indecision killed the cat. Another plus with the auto, can't believe I'm saying this, is when I need a spell and the Mrs needs to drive.
?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3bluebetty View Post
All very great point but I'm still torn. Indecision killed the cat. Another plus with the auto, can't believe I'm saying this, is when I need a spell and the Mrs needs to drive.
?
I like manuals too but the fact that my wife will jump behind the wheel and pull our camper with an automatic was a weighing option for me going 68rfe. More than once we have been able to keep going when I needed a break. I had my fun in my manual duramax, but to get it to hold good power I ended up with a dual disk clutch. It was a bit grabby and was a pain to back up trailers with. Also a bit noisy.

I may own another one but my camper hauler will remain an auto, possibly the aisin next time around. If I keep this one after the warranty expires, it will just get tuned including trans tuning.

2017 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 Tradesman Auto
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Diesel Head

I have had one of every transmission you are considering. I really like my current Aisin. The order i would class them from best to least favorite are Aisin, G56, bus pass. I think these Aisins are pretty good. Mine knows what gear to be in and never lugs. Down shifts as needed and is very smooth. But, i do not want to know what a rebuild will cost out of warranty. I have not read of many issues unless it was an out of the box issue.
My G56 had a double disc clutch. It had a pretty stiff pedal and the wife could not shift it well once that went in. Get what you want ASAP so that company can start reimbursing you for it.

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Need to refi the house 1st before the purchase then it's off to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode