Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Is the Cummins worth it I am not pulling

26K views 100 replies 54 participants last post by  gravelscratcher 
#1 ·
Hello I have been surfing this forum for a few days. I got a screaming deal for the wife on a Jeep and the sales guy made a mention that they trucks were about 13K off sticker right now. (is that a good deal?) I am kicking it around. I have a two fishing buddies that have older versions of the ram with the cummins and they are still running.

I don't have camper or a boat or a horses so I am not healing anything heavy. although having a truck this big would allow us to get a camper.

My question is the diesel over kill for someone that is going to use this as a daily commuter right now my commute is 5 miles, but that may change next year. How is the reliability with these trucks. I have had mostly toyotas before and had no issues.

Or is this the type of truck you buy and not look back?

#2 ·
I tow sometimes. I commute 12 miles to work currently. It's all a matter of preference. If you ever tow something with it, you will understand the desire to own one.

Reactions: daveinnva
#6 ·
When is $13k off NOT a god deal??

If you can swing it, get the diesel. The 6.4 Hemi would be a fantastic option for you as well. Look at both, drive both, make your decision.

Either way, you get THE BEST truck on the market, bar none. And that's certainly a win.

#8 ·
I bought my first diesel last summer...all I can say is I wish I had bought one 3 trucks ago. I don't tow much at all (ATV for hunting season occasionally), drive about 15 miles one way to work daily, so it sounds like we have similar situations. I got 10K off and was happy with it, 13k would be a good deal. Maintenance costs more, but I wouldn't trade my 2500 Cummins for anything else on the market right now. I'm at 12k miles so far, no issues with the truck. The firestone tires suck, plan on replacing those by 20-30k miles, but that will be the same for the gas or diesel 2500.

#11 ·
I'll be honest, I would go gas if I was in your shoes. Not towing anything and especially a 5 mile commute is not what a diesel is good at. You are going to get crap mpg with that short commute. It's just not practical for your current needs.

As far a $13k off being a good deal? Depends. Lot's of variables.

Reactions: Lawdog
#12 ·
I have the Cummins and it is great, But... The 1500 rides much better on dirt roads. The 6.4 hemi does not have all the smog stuff the diesel has on it that is a real potential problem. The Cummins kills them on resale if that matters.

#13 ·
I only tow on occasion and when I do is usually just my boat(22' Cobalt). I used to pull it with my 09 half ton Ram getting about 8-9 mpg. I tow now and get about 16. For the most part mine is my daily driver and occasionally we take road trips to see family. It's still bone stock so it doesn't have the turbo sound or the cool sounding exhaust. Maintenance is more expensive, fuel cost more. I love my truck but if I had to do it over again I would consider the eco diesel because of the better mileage. BUT this is my first diesel. I'm sure there are others that would totally disagree with me.

#14 ·
About $13K off of list ?,that is a starting point and it depends on how much the "ABOUT amount is. I see they are dangling the carrot in front of the rabbit but depending on the truck and options I wouldn't call $13K off of list a deal.Salesmen are looking to line their and the dealerships own pockets they are NOT in the business to save you any money ...

#15 ·
No reason to own a diesel if your not towing. The hemi is plenty truck. Leave your ego at home and buy what you need. The extra maintenance, filters, filters, CEL's, filters, DEF, EGR. Nothing wrong with a Hemi .

#26 ·
No reason to own a diesel if your not towing. The hemi is plenty truck. Leave your ego at home and buy what you need.
This.

You don't need a diesel. If you want one, fine. But don't kid yourself. A 6.4L Hemi will pull a good size camper too.

A diesel has A LOT more negatives toward ownership than a gasser. Not to mention a $10k-12k higher sticker price. Just keep that in mind... :thumbsup:

#16 ·
Buy what you want not what some people on forum tell you. I know some people think if you don't haul a million pounds everyday you should buy a gasser, but I bought my truck because I wanted the cummins and the only thing I tow is my rzr which a car could tow. Mine truck is used mainly driving in town to go to dinner and groceries. Love driving it and wouldn't buy another gasser anytime soon. So if you want a diesel go buy one and have no regrets.

#17 ·
I love diesel trucks, been driving one since '04.

If I was driving 5 miles to work and not towing, I'd get a 1/2 ton gas truck.

Negatives for a Cummins in your situation.
The truck isn't going to warm up enough to keep the emissions working well.
If you do offroad at all, the front end is REALLY heavy.
Maintenance is more expensive.
Insurance is probably more expensive.
Tags may be more expensive.

In my situation, if I didn't tow a 5th wheel, I'd look seriously at a Ram Power Wagon with all the 4x4 goodies.

AJ

#18 ·
I'm trying to figure out how 13k off of sticker isn't a good deal? I understand that the dealer can then add on a bunch of fees and such to bring the price back up.

#19 ·
For a 5 mile commute and a DD with no to very little towing I would get a loaded 6.4 hemi and save the 9K on the diesel option and added maintenance costs of the diesel. Get the 4.10 diff gears and it will tow whatever you want just fine. If the 6.4 had the 8 speed trans my diesel would probably be gone.

#20 ·
I used to own a gas truck and drove it 80 miles a day (at 10 mpg that sucked). I switched to diesel after about a year of that, and went to powerstroke, duramax, and now I'm driving a cummins. Out of all of them, i would say the cummins is by far my favorite, and i get relatively the same fuel mileage i got in the duramax, only much more hp and torque. Diesel motors tend to last a lot longer than the gas counterparts, and as far as i know, while the hemi will have good power, it will kill your wallet paying for fuel.

I'd say buy the truck, never hurts to have the towing capability, and hauling capacity. Just make sure you buy a 4x4 one and not one with 2WD.

#21 ·
Plain and simply like you.said OP....You have several friends with old Cummins trucks that are still running reliably...The diesel will far out last the gasser, has a better resale value and if you ever tow anything or see yourself doing so it is WELL worth the extra expense compared to the gasser...

Cons...both 2500's don't ride great unloaded. With your short commute you would probably want to delete and tune pretty quickly to protect the turbo and emissions...That's an extra expense...Service on the Cummins is more..but where I live only biodiesel is more expensive than unleaded.

I'm on my second Cummins...I didn't tow or haul hardly at all with my old truck and it was stout and reliable.

This truck tows a heavy TT almost exclusively and has been nothing but dead reliable and super comfortable on cross country trips...can't imagine towing with anything else...

Ch

sent from knee deep in snow

#22 ·
When I lived about the same miles as the op from his work my Cummins would not get hot enough to burn the water vapors out of the engine.I bought a ford ranger to drive that short distance to work and used my truck on weekends and vacations to pull our RV.

Reactions: AJ P
#23 ·
I bought the Cummins for a daily to and from work. Also have horses to pull so that is a big selling point for me. I tow probably 3 times a month.

But the power and feel of a diesel is outstanding and I test drove a 6.4. which don't get me wrong has tons of power. But the torque in the Cummins is awesome. Also like the MPG. I average on the evic for daily driving 18 or so MPG and long trips 22-24 mpg. I know it is less when I do the manual calculation but even knocking off 2 mpg off those numbers I am happy. Still better than the gas trucks I've had.

Another big thing is the reliability of the Cummins engine. Definitely makes you feel good.

I don't think I'll ever get another gas truck, the diesel feel and power has me hooked.

#24 ·
Hopefully what you WANT and what you SHOULD get are the same. It's when they aren't that you may have the issue you are having between a diesel or a gasser. I know that if you really WANT a diesel truck but get something other, then every time you see or hear a diesel, you'll turn your head and wish..........

#25 ·
5 mile trips is not good for the emissions or the engine. Would love to see another happy Ram Cummins owner but if you can not take it out on the weekends to warm it up good and exercise the emissions equipment then you would probably be better off in a gas engine truck.

Buy the Ram Cummins, drive it to work week days and take the little lady out on the weekends to exercise the Engine/emissions. Win, win for all three of yah.

#27 ·
The wife and I were out shopping, I heard a guy crank up in the parking lot and the sound was terrific. I waited and sure enough he drove by .....it was a Hemi. Ya, diesels are fine but seldom do get to hear a full throated 6.4 roll by. Nothing like tuned pipes and the unmistakable V8 rumble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.