Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Running Lights In Towing Mirrors Mod??

47K views 102 replies 30 participants last post by  carisu 
#1 ·
:wink2: Okay, I have searched this and found a couple of older threads with hundreds of posts, so please don't tell me to do this. There were a "lot" of posts with different recommendations, results and no clear consensus? I even sent a couple of PM's to no avail. I would like to have the running lights burn at the same brightness as other running lights, "cab lights" etc. Then I would like for the turn signals to flash brighter, like the taillights. I think that someone has figured out how to make this happen? I would like a complete set of "simple" instructions as how to make this happen. I did see where one post said that he had made a couple extra wiring harnesses for this, which I would be willing to purchase, if that's the best and most reliable way to do this?? That was one of my PM's which was never answered? A clear and concise answer would greatly be appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time. :confused013:

Reactions: izorg
#3 ·
Reactions: izorg
#4 ·
Help!!

:surprise: I have read this "very long" thread, over and over. There was many different ways and different parts mentioned as the thread progressed. If some one has the "final solution" that works the best and is the best for durability, Please send me a PM and I will gladly compensate you for your time and wiring harness! I will be having someone else do this, as I am not able to, due to major neck surgery, that is why I would like detailed instructions as well as the wiring harness. Thank you in advance for your help? :smile2:

#5 ·
$$ Money for insructions!!

:frown2: I asked the question about running lights in the towing mirrors several months ago, with only a referral to a very long and changing thread? If anyone has done this with the best and longest lasting results, I am prepared to pay $ for a set of precise instructions and wiring connections with the proper diodes and resistors! There were several different variations as what to use and where to pick up power? I won't be doing this myself, so I need something that I can just hand to my mechanic. There are no Radio Shacks left and I live in a rural small town, so I cant just run down the street and pick up a diode or resistor? Anyone that wants to help me with this can just send me a PM. As I said before, I am willing to pay you for your time and materials!! Thanks in advance for any help. :blues:

#6 ·
I found a company that once made a kit. NSD: Ram Tow Mirror Running Light Kit but appears they are no longer around. I tried to message them in email and Ebay with no response and its been over a month.

I wouldn't mind doing it if I have to piece together a kit but rather buy a complete kit from someone. Will keep looking though.

#7 ·
:frown2: Yes, I tried to contact the same company with no results either? Apparently they are gone. Thanks for the reply. That's what I am looking for is a kit. One of the posters in that LONG thread, said that he had made up a couple of kits if anyone was interested? I tried to get in touch with him also, no reply? This is something that Ford and GM both have, I can't understand Ram not doing this? :blues:

#8 ·
Well, If you ever find a kit. Please let me know and I will do the same.

Thanks,

#10 ·
Funny. I seen that one prior to me owning my truck. But haven't been able to find them since.. thank you, I couldn't remember the name of the company.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Good News!!

:wink2: Great news for everyone that wants running lights in their towing mirrors along with the turn signals! Elevated Alliance is no longer in business, however the owner is still building a quality, complete kit for everyone that wants to do this mod with a pre-made kit! "Nick" is in AZ and still makes and sells these kits, however he no longer has a Company or website. You can call him at #480-650-7800 and if he is working, just leave him a message and he will get back to you. I called him yesterday evening and he shipped my kit today! The kit comes with everything that you will need, including instructions with photos and everything is just $40.00. IMHO it is well worth it for quality parts that he has been using and selling for years. He told me that he just shipped out 30 kits on Thursday morning! Apparently there must be a demand for this mod! I hope to get mine installed next week before our next trip and as soon as I do, I will give a review on this subject. I just done my first oil change the other day, used the Geno's cap and didn't spill a drop coming thru the fender. 12 qts of Mobil Delvac 1, 5W-40 and Mobil 1 filter. Also since I already removed the two flappers from my air-box and I new that increased the flow substantially, so I knew that I needed a higher flow filter. I looked on K&N's website and I saw that they offered a filter and a tube to the turbo that increased HP by about 15 and torque by about 25 lbs. ft. I didn't realize that the factory tube has a huge "resonator" its full length! I knew that had to go! So I installed that kit also. Now that I have installed the Banks monster exhaust, the Pedal Commander and the K&N kit along with the flapper removal in the air box, its like my new truck is a new truck!! I cant wait to try it out with my Airstream next week!! :cool:

Reactions: Thumper2016
#23 ·
:wink2: Great news for everyone that wants running lights in their towing mirrors along with the turn signals! Elevated Alliance is no longer in business, however the owner is still building a quality, complete kit for everyone that wants to do this mod with a pre-made kit! "Nick" is in AZ and still makes and sells these kits, however he no longer has a Company or website. You can call him at #480-650-7800 and if he is working, just leave him a message and he will get back to you. I called him yesterday evening and he shipped my kit today! The kit comes with everything that you will need, including instructions with photos and everything is just $40.00. IMHO it is well worth it for quality parts that he has been using and selling for years. He told me that he just shipped out 30 kits on Thursday morning! Apparently there must be a demand for this mod! I hope to get mine installed next week before our next trip and as soon as I do, I will give a review on this subject. I just done my first oil change the other day, used the Geno's cap and didn't spill a drop coming thru the fender. 12 qts of Mobil Delvac 1, 5W-40 and Mobil 1 filter. Also since I already removed the two flappers from my air-box and I new that increased the flow substantially, so I knew that I needed a higher flow filter. I looked on K&N's website and I saw that they offered a filter and a tube to the turbo that increased HP by about 15 and torque by about 25 lbs. ft. I didn't realize that the factory tube has a huge "resonator" its full length! I knew that had to go! So I installed that kit also. Now that I have installed the Banks monster exhaust, the Pedal Commander and the K&N kit along with the flapper removal in the air box, its like my new truck is a new truck!! I cant wait to try it out with my Airstream next week!! :cool:
Please let us know how this works. I am interested to do this.

Reactions: norcal_cyclist
#20 ·
:wink2: I started running K&N filters some 40 years ago, there abouts and have used them in all big three manufacturers, cars, trucks, motorcycles, gas and diesel with nary a problem. Until I see a problem directly related to their filters, I shall continue to do so! In those forty years I have had either 30 or 31 new vehicles, if my memory serves me correctly? :cool:

#27 ·
Following for results. If they work out good I'll be ordering a kit also.

Reactions: Flight medic
#30 ·
Mines coming tomorrow. But its going to pour all weekend.. Might not get to install till next week or next weekend.

#31 ·
I Got It Finished!!!

:wink2: Well, I finished my running light install yesterday evening. It took me about four hours total! The kit works very nicely, there was one difference in the wiring on my truck and the instructions, (maybe because my truck is a 17?) The instructions call for a white wire with black stripe, mine was just the opposite, black wire with white stripe. Easy to make sure with a test light. I made some changes along the way, that I liked better? The kit comes with "butt connectors" which I tried and didn't like on such small braided wiring. Hard to get a good tight connection. I chose to use the small "silicone press fit connectors" red button that you press. The instructions call for getting power from the under-hood fuse panel, I chose to pick up my power from the park light module, behind the driver side end dash panel, much closer and inside cab. The driver side took about two and one half hours and the passenger side about one and one half hours. The hardest part by far, was getting the wire thru the driver side rubber conduit! The hole to get thru the cab was right behind the parking brake assembly. After fighting with that a little while, I decided that it would be easier to remove the parking brake assembly, which wasn't too easy either. All of this is why the driver side took much longer. I apologize for no install pictures, not enough time, although I am going to try and get some lighting picks? I am very pleased with the results. Every thing that you need is in the kit, except for the different connectors that I chose and time and patience! Its pretty straight forward, just a little time consuming getting the wire from the door into the cab. After doing my first one, I could probably get the time down to three hours? But all of us are doing our first ones so I took four hours? I am "anal" about things, so it may have taken me longer than someone else? Hope this helps and will get some pics of the lights. :cool:

#36 ·
:wink2: Well, I finished my running light install yesterday evening. It took me about four hours total! The kit works very nicely, there was one difference in the wiring on my truck and the instructions, (maybe because my truck is a 17?) The instructions call for a white wire with black stripe, mine was just the opposite, black wire with white stripe. Easy to make sure with a test light. I made some changes along the way, that I liked better? The kit comes with "butt connectors" which I tried and didn't like on such small braided wiring. Hard to get a good tight connection. I chose to use the small "silicone press fit connectors" red button that you press. The instructions call for getting power from the under-hood fuse panel, I chose to pick up my power from the park light module, behind the driver side end dash panel, much closer and inside cab. The driver side took about two and one half hours and the passenger side about one and one half hours. The hardest part by far, was getting the wire thru the driver side rubber conduit! The hole to get thru the cab was right behind the parking brake assembly. After fighting with that a little while, I decided that it would be easier to remove the parking brake assembly, which wasn't too easy either. All of this is why the driver side took much longer. I apologize for no install pictures, not enough time, although I am going to try and get some lighting picks? I am very pleased with the results. Every thing that you need is in the kit, except for the different connectors that I chose and time and patience! Its pretty straight forward, just a little time consuming getting the wire from the door into the cab. After doing my first one, I could probably get the time down to three hours? But all of us are doing our first ones so I took four hours? I am "anal" about things, so it may have taken me longer than someone else? Hope this helps and will get some pics of the lights. :cool:
Duke, need your help! Where exactly did you tap into for your power wire? I have a 16 Laramie and cannot find a power wire. I've found an old DIY thread where everyone was tapping into power from a wire harness on the passenger a pillar, but my truck does not have it!

Thanks

#32 ·
Pics?

Here are a few from this morning..

Attachments

#35 ·
:wink2: Its time consuming and running the wires from the doors thru the rubber conduit is the most difficult part. You don't have to be an electrical expert, because I done it and I'm not one by far! The instructions with the kit are good. My wire was just a different color. Just use a test light and you will find the right one. I just chose to use different connectors for the three wires in each door, your preference? The door panels are a little aggravating, just takes a little time and its nice to have some plastic panel removal tools. I wish that I would have taken some assembly pics, but we are leaving on a trip this weekend and I was trying to get them done before we leave. :cool:

#38 ·
:wink2: We just got home from our week long trip, and I love my running lights! There were several Rams in the campground, including two new Limited's, and they all wondered how come I had running lights and they didn't ? I had to try and explain it to several people. I also love my air box mods and my K&N filter and turbo elbow! I pulled our Airstream up Fancy Gap Mtn. 70 mph in fifth gear at only about 20 lbs. of boost and averaged 11.2 mpg at 75 - 80 mph. Very pleased with everything that I have done to my Ram so far! Like the truck also!! Looking foreword to a longer trip next week to Nashville. :cool:

#40 ·
Just did mine yesterday. Took me about 2 hours for both mirrors. My 2017 Laramie it was the Black connector in the door and it was the Black with Grey strip wire that controlled the light on the mirror it self. I also tapped into the clearance light circuit at the Passenger glove box in the dash for power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.