True Blue 2017 Lighting Thread - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,349 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb True Blue 2017 Lighting Thread

Hey Guys -- I'm really into lighting and lighting mods. Simple stuff really. Less is more, with no hacks and no jury-rigging.

First -- 2017 Bulb Info:

BULBS:

2017 Trucks (2015 and newer I understand) have more CANBUS controls on the lighting by which where it polls for resistance more than ever. I consider this a fun challenge to see what I can and can not get away with and if I find simple solutions that don't break the bank.

So I thought I'd start another thread for this...

Today I put in HID's for the Fogs.

The ballasts are very small -- the size of a cigarette box and are 100 plastic. 100% digital. I think I got them on a closeout on Amazon Prime for $9.99 for a pair. The listing on Amazon is now gone.

Ideally, I'll be putting in LED's but I had an old very compact set of ballasts from past vehicles and I drummed up (digging through boxes) some 9145 / H10 HID bulbs I had used from days gone by. I wanted to experiment. Cleaned them up with some alcohol and put them in.

Plugged them in and the bulbs and then put the key to ON and tested -- They worked!

Then I started the engine and in about 10 seconds, the "light show" begain. There wasn't enough resistance on the circuit and the CANBUS system kept shutting down and then firing back up. Out came the Capacitors...

That fixed the problem. The capacitors act as a buffer between the power coming in from the harness and the ballast. There is some resistance but nothing like a resistor. And no heat. Capacitors fix SO MUCH of HID / LED related issues and they're CHEAP -- You can get a set for $6-$8 off Amazon w/Prime.

All 3 of those parts (ballasts / capacitors / bulbs) I had laying around from past vehicles.

Next I decided to play around with el-cheapo 9005 replacement bulbs. The 2015 (I think) and newer projectors use 9005 for both driving and high beams. So I bought two of these just to play with: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PZY7H16

At $6.26 with free Prime shipping -- what the heck.

Not bad for $12.52 for 4 bulbs.

Now here's a shot with the Fogs on. I have the camera set to allow very little light in so you really can't tell how bright they really are. The headlights are just low beam here. The new bulb is on the right:

And now to tie this nonsense together, I made a little youtube video for your viewing pleasure. NOTE -- Where I say "Resistors" I mean to say "Capacitors" in the video.

More to come later guys and I play with my next steps of spending real coin on lighting and seeing what's what.

-Guzzler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 67guzzler; 01-18-2017 at 10:45 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 67guzzler For This Useful Post:
gsbrockman (01-15-2017), GSM24 (01-18-2017), wyo2track (01-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:34 PM
The Radio Flyer

Thanked 5,401 Times in 2,831 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
I'll take your Laramie grille.....mine has 205k of road rash.
67guzzler and TxLaramie like this.

2014 RAM 3500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 385 hp 850 torque and AISIN 6 speed automatic in Flame Red, Snow Plow Prep Group (Protection Group & 220A Alternator), Popular Equipment Group, Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Appearance Group, Single Disc CD, LT235/80R17 Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD's, Trailer Brake Control, 3.73 axle ratio, 8.4 Radio w/SIRIUS, ParkSense Park Assist, Parkview Rear Backup Camera, B&W GNKR 1314 Gooseneck Hitch. Purchased new February 20th, 2014. Currently : 227,622 miles and 4,205 hours as of March 29th, 2017. (Average Miles Per Hour = 54.1)

The Following User Says Thank You to gsbrockman For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (01-15-2017)
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I don't know if any computer stuff has changed for the 17's but I put a set of ddm 35w hids w/canbus adapters in ($90 for the complete set) in on my 15 and have had zero issues. It's been just about a year now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
67guzzler and azjohnnyo like this.

2005 Ram 2500 SLT QCSB 5.9L Cummins. S&B CAI, 5" Diamond Eye TBE Straight Pipe, RCX 2" Leveling Springs, RCX 1" Blocks, RCX Shocks, RCX Big Bore SS, RCX Steering Box Brace, 275/70/18 Fierce Attitude MT's
The Following User Says Thank You to cutoutcummins For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (01-15-2017)

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbrockman View Post
I'll take your Laramie grille.....mine has 205k of road rash.
Uhhh..... Let me think for a moment.....

NO.

This was just an experiment. The SLT grille has a little bit of the chrome lifting off from dried dog spit eating at it for along time while it was in storage.

The Laramie Grille is stored safe and sound in a private / secret location free from the risk of dog spit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutoutcummins View Post
I don't know if any computer stuff has changed for the 17's but I put a set of ddm 35w hids w/canbus adapters in ($90 for the complete set) in on my 15 and have had zero issues. It's been just about a year now.

Nice....

But what's the fun in that? I buy stuff like this whether I need it or not when I stumble upon it:

Getting these kits to work is FUN!

-Guzzler

Last edited by 67guzzler; 01-15-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
Uhhh..... Let me think for a moment.....

NO.

Nice....

But what's the fun in that? I buy stuff like this whether I need it or not when I stumble upon it:

Getting these kits to work is FUN!

-Guzzler
With a 6 year old and a year and a half year old, (at the time 5,6 month old) I needed something quick and easy and not just a halogen bulb. Now that things are somewhat normalized with one back in school and the other in day care every other day I have a bit more free time to tinker. Although we just built the house and I need to finish the basement I have a few other lighting mods to do when we get some "warm" weather

2005 Ram 2500 SLT QCSB 5.9L Cummins. S&B CAI, 5" Diamond Eye TBE Straight Pipe, RCX 2" Leveling Springs, RCX 1" Blocks, RCX Shocks, RCX Big Bore SS, RCX Steering Box Brace, 275/70/18 Fierce Attitude MT's
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Quote:
With a 6 year old and a year and a half year old, I needed something quick and easy and not just a halogen bulb. Now with one back in school and the other in day care every other day I have a bit more free time to tinker. Although we just built the house and I need to finish the basement I have a few other lighting mods to do when we get some "warm" weather

I'll be playing with the $9.99 HID's as headlights next. That picture you quote above was $9.99 for A FULL SET OF HID's. A FULL KIT and I only bought two. I wish I'd bought 6!!!

The stuff is all interchangeable -- So I'm using that with bulbs for fogs for now JUST TO SEE what is needed for the FOGS circult.

NEXT will be the HEADLIGHT circuit with the same equipment. I'll report back then.

Sorry if I confused the issues.

-Guzzler

post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
I'll be playing with the $9.99 HID's as headlights next. That picture you quote above was $9.99 for A FULL SET OF HID's. A FULL KIT and I only bought two. I wish I'd bought 6!!!

The stuff is all interchangeable -- So I'm using that with bulbs for fogs for now JUST TO SEE what is needed for the FOGS circult.

NEXT will be the HEADLIGHT circuit with the same equipment. I'll report back then.

Sorry if I confused the issues.

-Guzzler
No confusion, that's a awesome price for everything. I know you've been around dodge trucks long enough to know how finicky these trucks are with anything other than what they came with.

post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Quote:
No confusion, that's a awesome price for everything. I know you've been around dodge trucks long enough to know how finicky these trucks are with anything other than what they came with.

I just wish I'd bought 10 of those sets. You just don't know when you buy stuff like that whether it sucks or not. By the time I went back to buy more, they were gone... I have one running in the Fiat Turbo for Headlights and the other I'm tinkering with in this thread.

I've looked for those ballasts alone (I like them) for cheap but I haven't seen them.

-Guzzler

post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Lifetime Thread Hijacker

Right on Jay, thanks for all the info
67guzzler likes this.

Gerry
2011 white Ram crew cab short box, Viair, train horns, Amp bed step
2010 Sandpiper 345RET, 40ft 5th wheel
The Following User Says Thank You to Ontario Trucker For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (01-15-2017)
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Diesel Head

I've bought cheap sets before and never had any luck with them on dodge trucks. Granted even expensive ones are hit or miss. I thought I'd try middle of the road and see what happened. So far the ddm hids matched ease of install with the morimotos w/canbus adapters and yet to have a problem.

post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Trucker View Post
Right on Jay, thanks for all the info

Thanks Gerry!

Quote:
I've bought cheap sets before and never had any luck with them on dodge trucks. Granted even expensive ones are hit or miss. I thought I'd try middle of the road and see what happened. So far the ddm hids matched ease of install with the morimotos w/canbus adapters and yet to have a problem.

That's my point and the purpose of this thread. All of them are worth about $20 to $50 in parts depending on the kit. That's it.

So if someone sells a kit worth $40 for $300 and guarantees it will work with a particular vehicle, they're getting a $260 premium for the "research" to verify that it will work and what will be needed to add to it to ensure it works. What makes me angry is it's a scam when they DON'T EARN that premium.

So, the purpose of this thread is to ISOLATE the issues and then find what it takes to make the most cheapie kits work! ALL the kits I've installed have been EL-CHEAPO kits with all my RAM trucks with 100% success. The issue is figuring out what the truck needs on the circuit.

I have found that on DODGE / RAM trucks, it's not a HARNESS or RELAYS that fix the issues. It's more times than not been an inline CAPACITOR that acts as a buffer to the CANBUS so that it will be happy. They often call them different names but they're almost always capacitors -- sometimes adding polarity protection so the user doesn't blow up the capacitor.

The DDM equivalent to this is: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/BOW3

Anyway -- These were all that was needed on the headlight circuit through 2014. What will be interesting is if SOMETHING MORE has changed since 2015 that makes it so that's not sufficient. I'll find out when I tinker with the headlight circuit.

Personally, I resent the prices these companies get for $40 in parts WHEN THEY DON'T WORK OUT OF THE BOX after people pay their hard earned money for much more than the value of the parts -- $40. HOWEVER -- If they work, then the premium is for the assurance and fact that they have provided a working solution and that can be WELL WORTH IT!

Although I didn't start this thread to discuss stuff that is known to work -- BUT I would like to know the components of a working kit for sure. If you have a link tot he kit you bought, I'd be interesting in looking it over.

Thanks,

-Guzzler
cutoutcummins and GSM24 like this.

Last edited by 67guzzler; 01-15-2017 at 06:26 PM.
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:06 PM
Diesel Head

I know retroshop and enlight (ramforum sponsor) both have standard capacitor kits for 15+ and seem to be quite a large setup. I don't know what ddm was able to figure out to make a canbus adapter work that morimoto hasn't, maybe they just don't want to. I appreciate the work people have done to get around spending $300 for hids, but I just like a plug and play system. I do want to upgrade my fogs, I'll have to go over again what you used for a set up. It's odd. I spent countless hours researching how to add fogs to my tradesman when I got it but don't have the patience to find a cheap solution for hids. I will definitely be keeping an eye on what you are able to come up with for future reference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode