Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Well -- After a year truckless....

46K views 659 replies 58 participants last post by  seery 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All! Long time....

In the fall / winter of 2015 I sold my 2010 and 2013. Been truckless since. Accomplished my personal financial goals and now I'm starting to look around again. Wanted to go slightly different and am 100% open-minded. I don't have a need for a HD truck. But I'm not a 1/2 ton fan as it doesn't seem like a "real truck" to me.

So kinda starting from scratch. At the top of my list this time is a 2017 2500 4x2 or 4x4 Crew / Shortbed 6.7 OR 6.4 gasser. Tradesman OR SLT. Daily driver with light and infrequent towing. Tempted very much to go 6.4L this time. :stirpot:

Just weighing everything and wanted to give a shout out to all -- old friends I've missed and people who have joined in the last year.

-Guzzler

#643 ·
That's what I figured. So then I posted the facts using screenshots from the owner's manuals because I wanted to keep the subject matter on track.

Then I got stuff about "blinker fluid" and I saw what was coming around the corner.

I think a little banter is good but I like the substance more. I would never mention it on someone else's thread. If everyone else likes it, that's fine.

-Guzzler

#648 ·
Ford is currently doing something similar with the New CK-4 Oil. Ford is finding in THEIR test's that the New API/EPA Mandated CK-4 Oil is not providing adequate wear protection and is "Stearing" Ford owners to use "THEIR" formulated Oil in order to lubricant and protected the Ford Diesel Engine correctly. Weather this is a warranty issue or not I'm not sure. Very murky situation.

Reactions: gsbrockman
#650 ·
That is interesting... Thanks for sharing... Sounds like those 6.7L PS oil changes get even more expensive... and the interval is no longer than the 6.4L Hemi oil change intervals...

#653 ·
It's not what Pennzoil paid FCA, it's what FCA didn't pay Mobil.

#654 · (Edited)
Proud owner. Boys and their toys!!! :thumbsup:

-Guzzler

#656 ·
I really love this truck. So glad (don't tell @gsbrockman -- his head is big enuf) I got the 4.10. The OD on the 66RFE (and 68RFE for that matter) is .625. Very tall for a gasoline engine that likes to rev. With a 6th gear that's @ .625 OD -- a 4.10 isn't as low a ratio as it first seems. I would like a 4.56 as well with this rig.

Tell me more about your order!

-Guzzler

#657 ·
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

Ordered our new truck on Wednesday (2 days ago) and went with the 3.73. If we wanted to change to the 4.10, would the dealer still be able to make the change or is it too late???

Here is what we ordered:

2017 2500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 6.4L with the Sport appearance group in Granite.

Added options:
Leather trimmed buckets
Spray in bed liner
Remote start
LED bed lighting
Cab clearance lights
Rear window defrost
Anti-spin rear differential
Protection group
Power folding tow mirrors
No side steps

Here is the same truck as we ordered, except this one has no cab lights and dealer added mud flaps.

ETA is 5/26.

#658 ·
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

Ordered our new truck on Wednesday (2 days ago) and went with the 3.73. If we wanted to change to the 4.10, would the dealer still be able to make the change or is it too late???
Yes -- You can change it. Two days in should be fine. Call ASAP and do it! :wink2:

If you want to get the 4.10, you have to get the Anti-Spin rear. So for me, to get the ratio I paid $435 + $125.

If you're already paying the $435 for the Anti-Spin rear, even more reason. You'll want the 4.10 with this transmission.

If you DID NOT get the 4.10 and chose to stay with the 3.73, that's fine. I test drove one with the 3.73 and it was good. Just seems to me if a truck is ordered with the Anti-Spin, may as well drop the $125 and get the 4.10 ratio too.

Here is my window sticker:

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C6UR5FJ0HG619748

Looks like a really nice truck. Good luck!

-Guzzler

#660 ·
Thanks guys, really looking forward to it.

Test drove both and really liked how each performed, but decided on 3.73 for the sake of mpg's. We don't do a lot of city driving, but do spend a lot of time on roads where it's 50-60mph as well as the highway. Towing will mostly be our 2 horse trailer at 6,200# loaded.

Just talked with our salesperson and he said the order has passed edit, so it looks likes it'll be the 3.73.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.