Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2014 ver 2016

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Liveaboard74 
#1 ·
I have the AS69 in a 2014 3500 DRW according to the specks it has 850 pounds of torque.

What did they do different this year to get it to 900 pounds of torque?

Little more fuel pressure , injectors? and what are the best two mods for increasing HP and Torque without putting a programmer on a truck.

#9 ·
All DRW Aisin equipped pickup trucks built from 2013 & up have the 11.8" (300mm) rear axle.

Reactions: URDiesel
#4 ·
Truck still has 22000 miles of warranty on the running gear I don't want to screw around with messing that up or tinkering with that till that is off.

Just got back on this forum, been off a while and things have changed since my 2000 dodge... Was the ring gear a issue in the 2014s. I'm going to be towing a lot of weight. 27000lbs.

#5 ·
My 2014 truck with the 68RFE transmission and 4.10 gears had a published rating of 30K GCVWR, and I pull a fifth wheel that weighs 16K dry, then you load to go on vacation, so it is probably pushing 17K on vacation. The truck moves out like there is almost nothing behind it, once I go to Tow Haul mode, and the computer adjusts to Big Truck mode, which takes about a mile, and the truck with the Aisin transmission had more torque than mine, and more HP. I am trading to a 17 with the Aisin, because I want the Aisin and the Air Ride Suspension for these wonderful roads that we travel on!

#6 ·
With the older 2000 dodge I was 26000 pounds pulling the 48 foot trailer I have. I know this truck has to be heavier than that 2000 but thanks for the heads up on the mile and the computer catching up. These are the things you guys know I don't so the input is really helpful.

I have the 3.73s but i'm all flat land around here. On the coast. Coming home from the other side of the state where I bought it I noticed it bouncing some. Where I live in the 55 mph zone I don't feel it as bad as I did at 75 headed this way.
Noticed there was no transmission temp gauge on the dash. This surprised me. Does flipping through the setting allow you to find a trans temp read out or when you go into tow mode will this trigger something on the dash.

#8 ·
You can actually configure your Laramie display to put the Boost, Trans Temp and 2 other things on the inner edges of the display. That way I always have my trans temp and boost in view! This puts them just to the sides of the digital speed readout in the center. I pull in the Sand Hills and to the low Appalatian mountains towards Asheville. The 3.73 gears should pull yours well when coupled to the Aisin transmission. The sweet rpm range on these engines is from 1800 to 2200 rpm. I find the turbo powers most effectively in this range as well. Below 1800 rpm you loose the benefits of the turbo, and your fuel economy goes way down as well. Some may argue the exact numbers, but mine pulls very well running 1900 to 2000 rpm and everything stays within parameters even on a 100 degree day, with my high profile 5er in tow!

#12 ·
The throttle and the torque response is actually different after I tow for a short time. I know that the Tow/Haul is only supposed to change the shift points, etc But the throttle response of my truck changes after I hook my large 5er up and actually pull it. That is what I ever to as Big Truck mode. after I unhook from the camper, the fan still pulls at full intensity and the throttle response is still faster until the computer readjusts itself to not being loaded.

By the Way, What kind of loads do either of Y'all hook to your trucks? Mine is a 12 ft 8 in high and 42 Ft long Billboard that weighs in at about 17K when loaded for Vacation.

#14 ·
I cross the scales last time at 29,674. That's my 40 ft fifth wheel, all my welding tools and equipment, two oxygen bottles and a acetylene bottle, 1500 lbs of welding rod, a fully loaded camper that I live in while working.... It is HEAVY! The whole reason I bought this truck was for the high GCWR these new trucks have. I wish I only had 17k in weight.

#13 ·
HAHAA Good come back URDIESEL...........LOL

Keven C I haul a 48 foot race trailer with a 240" dragster. Living quarters in the front. Made it a three hobbie trailer. Have two boats, bass boat and a pontoon so needed somewhere to store all the extras. Its my man cave.......

Work is a little different. I slip into "BIG TRUCK MODE " there..........LOL

Work for Moore transport out of Toledo OH with the job.
My work truck behind my new truck, and I pull trucks........ and cars.. :)

My Need for speed toy.

Old 2000 dodge in the front. Shes been a tough old girl but I had to get a younger one. Ever hear us old guys like the newer/younger women. That is correct..................LOL

Thats what she looked like a few years back. Yep,, she got a color change.....Inside and out. But make up don't hide age............LMAO

Had a 31 Fountain and a camper traveled local within 350 miles on weekends fishing with it. Obama came in and about cut the offshore fishing out what I enjoyed anyways, that little bitty bass boat and 24 foot pontoon ain't going to slow the new young girl down much....:)

26000 pounds with the race trailer and the old 2000 3500. I'm guessing a little more now with the 2014.

#16 ·
Those sure are pretty toys, but the heavy trailer is not more than about 2 ft taller than the truck, These High Profile Fifth wheels that you meet are running a Gross weight in the 26 to 27K range, some of the Mobile Suites units are grossing close to 29-30K, and they are also pulling the air that is 6 foot above the Truck with them. That additional wind drag is very noticeable when you enter a clearing around an Interchange and suddenly get hit with it either head on or Cross wise. Either way, it is a much heavier load than just the weight of the trailer itself. That is the thing that people do not understand about pulling RV's.

Reactions: Liveaboard74
#17 ·
Sold my company few years back all I ran was Calif back to east coast hauling cars. . West TX, NM, AR, and Calif wind would blow so hard I'd be down in the 45 mph range on interstates.
Car haulers get about 2 mph less than smooth sided units like produce and freight trucks or even tankers. All that air get tangled up on the inside to. Pushing that camper with the Fountain behind it close to the beach was a two hand ordeal at times to. :)

You are correct about the wind but it does not add weight. Just resistance.

Pulling that chute ain't brakes either but it sure will let you know what resistance is. :grin2:

#18 ·
Ok Torque. Been reading a lot , and see a lot of you guys are running programmers on the newer trucks.
What kinda torque will this asian transmission hold.

I called one diesel shop in my area and he said 1050 to 1100 pounds.
What are you guys thoughts on this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.