Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Catalytic Converter bad already?

15K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  Regal2800 
#1 ·
About a month ago I bought a used 2015 2500 Cummins with 42000 miles or so. Yesterday the check engine light came on and the code states that the Catalytic Converter (code P20EE). I am new to diesel trucks and was curious if the converter should be bad already and if so should it be covered under warranty. Thanks

#37 ·
To me, it looks like it the smog on the exhaust fails there could be a CEL, or not in my case. But there is nothing that will put you into limp mode with the DPF or SCR cat unless it would be in the DEF system. As long as the DEF system sees there is DEF in the tank, could a limp mode happen? Is there anything in the EGR that could cause a limp mode? I am just thinking of some long towing trips in the future and not wanting to be trapped in a limp. If these suckers fail I'll take care of them when I get home from vacation. My DPF was dead for a long time, never through a code and I even passed Calif smog with it dead and soot in the exhaust.

#38 ·
Well I cant even get into the shop til the 12th of this month. I hate driving on the truck not knowing for sure whats wrong. Wish I could just delete all and tune, but I bought an extended warranty and dont wanna waste the money on that.

#41 ·
I had the cat replaced on mine at about 33k and the lift would turn on and off between the initial visit to the dealer and the repair appointment. I think it was a temperature issue as it would turn on after about 30 interstate miles then back off after 5 or 6 short trips. I never had any warning messages and the cat was replaced no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 ·
The only thing I noticed was my torque converter would jerk or slam into lock up (sometimes soft sometimes hard) after I got that code. Never had limp mode come on or any other problems. Drove around for 2-3 weeks then deleted.

#43 ·
I put about 1000 miles on mine between when the code first showed and it never went into limp mode. However, it was mixed city and hwy and the hwy driving triggered the light to come back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#47 ·
Just had this code pop up on my truck on the way to the beach this past weekend. Got down to the beach and tried to have it cleared at an auto parts store. It came right back. Drove it home to my dealer and they flashed the computer for now. Said if it comes back that they would replace the SCR. Going back down to the beach in a few weeks so will get another long interstate travel back in. We will see if comes back on.

#49 ·
I have had the same issue. Finally got into the dealer last week. Dealer had two days. Parts were ordered on day 1 and received/installed on day 2. Driving home from the dealer, I received the "DPF is full 100%/Regeneration in Progress" message. As I continued to drive, the message dropped to 80%, 70% and then 60%. Message went away and nothing has returned.

Other work done: R46 recall brackets installed, numerous flash updates and tire rotation. I did crawl under the truck and verified the SCR Cat stuff was replaced. Dealer told me they have done about 200 trucks with SCR CAT issues. I guess it may depend on the dealer and how seriously they take these repairs. Waiting more than a week for anything, in my opinion, is a red flag.

#50 ·
IMO, just because it throws the P20EE, doesn't mean the SCR is bad and needs replaced. P20EE is "SCR Catalyst Below Threshold" meaning it wasn't reducing the NOx emissions enough at that particular point in its operation. Seems to me as if this could just be a momentary or short term issue that may not last, but was present long enough to trip the code.

Maybe the dealers are just replacing the SCR because it pays...

#51 ·
I just got my truck back. The dealer told me that the parts are on back order and could be up to 3 weeks out. I have to have the truck so was told to get it till they come in and they will call me to bring it back. Glad they didn't just flash it and tell me it was ok. And im getting a trans rebuild, bad shutter on take off. 47k miles

#52 ·
What's causing all these issues with the exhaust? Too much idling? Bad DEF? Bad parts? Not driving on highway?

#54 ·
No doubt all this emission bull , if it wasn't for the extended warranty I bought I would be definitely straight pipe turbo back and tune her...but can't void that warranty yet haha

#55 ·
Had my truck in the dealer last week for codes at 20k miles, they confirmed it was a bad cat and bad DEF injector which requires a ecm flash. Took them a week to get parts and fix but I got it back and so far so good.

#57 ·
In many of these threads it sounds like the dealers and FCA are kicking the can down the road. When warranties are done then owners can PAY, delete or trade. Owners loose, FCA wins.

#59 ·
Is everything from the Turbo to the tailpipe covered under the 8yr/80K Extended Federal Emissions warranty? When I asked the service manager whether the 5yr/50K or 8yr/80K warranty would handle issues like this in the future, he said he didn't know.

Just bought a 2014 with just over 20K miles on it, and the SCR Cat was replaced at 19K miles.

Complaint: CEL Inspect DTC's Present on Vehicle, VEHICLE IS IN DEF SHUTDOWN ADV

Description: Converter, catalytic - Replace Test DEF system, Replace SCR Catalyst and Remove Ammonia Sensor, Includes VECI Label (Skid Plate Equipped) (2 - Skilled)

Story for Line G, Version Number 1: 19390 p20ee 210 perform 18-088-15 replace scr remove amonia sensor skid plate equipped

Should I have avoided this truck, or should I be glad this was fixed right before I bought it?

#61 ·
Did you buy it "Certified" from a Ram dealer?
Purchased from the Ram dealership that sold it new but not certified.
Still has 11mos and 15K on the B2B warranty.

VIP Summary Report showed the following for Warranty Information:

Type of Warranty Original Deductible Expiration Remaining
BASIC 36 Months or 36,000 miles 0 November 13, 2017 11 Months or 15,000 miles
POWERTRAIN 60 Months or 100,000 miles 0 November 13, 2019 35 Months or 79,000 miles
DIESEL ENGINE 60 Months or 100,000 miles 0 November 13, 2019 35 Months or 79,000 miles
PERFORATION 60 Months or 100,000 miles 0 November 13, 2019 35 Months or 79,000 miles
EMISSIONS 60 Months or 50,000 miles 0 November 13, 2019 35 Months or 29,000 miles
ADJUSTMENT 36 Months or 36,000 miles 0 November 13, 2017 11 Months or 15,000 miles
AIR CONDITIONING 36 Months or 36,000 miles 0 November 13, 2017 11 Months or 15,000 miles
EXTENDED FEDERAL EMISSIONS 96 Months or 80,000 miles 0 November 13, 2022 70 Months or 59,000 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.