Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tell me the bad -- I've got an itch for a 2016

6K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Redthies 
#1 ·
Well...I don't know what got into my head tonight, but I've been looking at new trucks. Currently, I'm in an '07 2500 RCLB with the little (but impressive) Hemi. I've owned it for 4 years and 40k miles, and have had exactly zero issues with it. Nothing but oil, filters, and gas....lots and lots of gas (10mpg).

Anyways, she's going on 10 years old, and I just hit 100k miles 2 weeks ago. Before the value plummets, I am entertaining the idea of trading her in on a '16. The only reason I'm looking at a emissions-choked diesel is for the manual trans...since it's the only option out there. If there is one thing I hate the most in this world, it's an automatic. And while mine has been flawlessly reliable, I hate how it always does the opposite of what I want it to do.

I found a 2016 Ram 3500 RCLB Dually with the G56 locally for $44k. Only thing I don't like is the electronic 4x4. I want the floor lever.
If I entertain the idea, I'd keep it stock for a majority of the warranty, then delete it.

I know a bit about the 3rd Gen's...but I know nothing about these newer trucks. So what quirks or common problems do they have? (Drivetrain, body, interior, electronics...?)
What's this torque management I hear about?
The auto is rated at 900ft-lbs., and the manual at 660ft-lbs...right? Can the dealership flash the manual trucks to "full power" once the warranty is up?

I've gotta go down there anyways to schedule the recalls (airbag & tie rod)....so I might as well test drive it!

See less See more
#2 ·
The only way to get more toque will be to do a full delete. I don't have a manual transmission in my truck but I've seen on here that people do like the g56.
Today's automatic transmission are better.
Drive it and see how you like it.

#4 ·
Do not let the electronic shift scare you away. The lever is partially electronic i think as well. You may have to get a southbend or such clutch if you add more power as the stocker will usually slip after adding more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Don't let them scare you on the emissions plenty of guys on here with well over 100k stock with no issues. Currently at 32k with no issues with emissions. If you want to increase HP/TQ only way would be a tunner and they ram will void warranty. But soon as you increase your power it be time for a new clutch.

#7 ·
As he said I would not let the emissions scare you away. From what I understand the newer trucks 13-16 do not have the emission problems the 08-12 have and actually get pretty good fuel mileage.

#8 ·
The only problem I've had with mine is a bad battery after it was 3 months old. I had to replace the clutch after I added a Stryker but that was my own doing. Currently getting 12-14 city and 18-20 highway. Power wise the manual has plenty(don't ask me why I added the Stryker cause even I don't know) I've had 13k behind mine and it pulled 70 mph through the rolling hills of PA no problem. Currently have 20k miles on it.

#10 ·
Good to hear :thumbsup:

I'm no stranger to the G56. I really liked it in my '06, other than the high reverse ratio.

I guess I gotta play with the numbers and see if I can afford it now...
:badidea:

#11 ·
Yes, do not worry about emissions. You have a warranty. I would not delete unless you have trouble once the warranty is gone. There is no way i know of to cover up the fact it was deleted even for one mile.

#13 ·
I absolutely love my 2016. It tows my fifth wheel so nicely and the factory air bag system is great. Get the automatic and the extra torque. You can tow all day long and eat a hamburger without having to bang gears...

#14 ·
No way Jose!

I want to drive my truck...not have it drive me.

I'm still curious if the extra power the auto's get is just the tune in the computer? If so, why can't the dealer flash it (warranty and clutch aside)?

And I can eat a burger, drink a coke, and smoke a cig all while jammin' gears :peelout:

#15 ·
i put my 2015 2500 6.7 in the ocean so that one got totaled i love my 2016 2500 6.7 i know same truck but it rides better and handles better i only see i have 20 inch tires and old has 17 go for it i do like my auto for towing my 35 ft travel trailer

#16 ·
Forgot to mention, but I did ride by there today. Circled the lot a couple times and never saw the truck. Might have been on a test drive...might have sold? I dunno. I'll ride by tomorrow or Monday...

If not, Kernersville has several similar models...

#20 ·
The dealership cannot flash the manual truck to the auto power levels because if they did, the whole system would think it was an automatic and it would have a fit. At least my 08 did when flashed accidentally with a tune for an auto truck. The auto gear selection lights came up on the dash and my alarm went off every time the door was open and wouldn't shut off until the truck was shut off. Granted this is was on an 08, and I only started it once like that so I can't say what else would happened. Either way I would imagine a newer truck would have the same if not even more problems with that. The only way you would be able to get the auto power level in a g56 would be to get a tuner with a program made for a g56 truck that has the same engine calibrations as an auto truck. I know I'm pretty much rambling at this point so I hope this makes some sense.

Reactions: Scigy
#21 ·
The dealership cannot flash the manual truck to the auto power levels because if they did, the whole system would think it was an automatic and it would have a fit. At least my 08 did when flashed accidentally with a tune for an auto truck. The auto gear selection lights came up on the dash and my alarm went off every time the door was open and wouldn't shut off until the truck was shut off. Granted this is was on an 08, and I only started it once like that so I can't say what else would happened. Either way I would imagine a newer truck would have the same if not even more problems with that. The only way you would be able to get the auto power level in a g56 would be to get a tuner with a program made for a g56 truck that has the same engine calibrations as an auto truck. I know I'm pretty much rambling at this point so I hope this makes some sense.
Gotcha. So the computer, if flashed, would start looking for the auto trans, and not find it, then freak out...lol

Makes sense. I'm not out for all-out power. I just thought it would be nice to have if it was as simple as it should be.

And another thing. Out of the few dozen trucks I have looked at online...where the H--- is the CD player? :confused013:

#23 ·
If it has a CD player, I believe they mount it under the console/jump seat. Weird, right?

I have owned multiple 2nd, 3rd and now a 4th gen. The 2014 is by far my favorite. My last dually was a stick, but we go way off the beaten path and my wife is worried about being able to drive the truck with camper on and towing the boat or Jeep in the event that I hurt myself doing "something stupid". I would have bought a reg cab stick if I were single, but I'm not, so I didn't.

As for the electronic transfer case shift, I asked my hunting buddy from Tenessee how it held up in his last truck (an '06 2500 QCLB 4x4 that he beat the tar out of). He said it never once missed a beat, and he best that truck offroad so hard they only gave him $2000 for it with 120,000 on it when he traded for his '14! I figured that was good enough for me.

The only bad thing about buying a '16 is having to pay for it!

Reactions: Scigy
#24 ·
If it has a CD player, I believe they mount it under the console/jump seat. Weird, right?

I have owned multiple 2nd, 3rd and now a 4th gen. The 2014 is by far my favorite. My last dually was a stick, but we go way off the beaten path and my wife is worried about being able to drive the truck with camper on and towing the boat or Jeep in the event that I hurt myself doing "something stupid". I would have bought a reg cab stick if I were single, but I'm not, so I didn't.

As for the electronic transfer case shift, I asked my hunting buddy from Tenessee how it held up in his last truck (an '06 2500 QCLB 4x4 that he beat the tar out of). He said it never once missed a beat, and he best that truck offroad so hard they only gave him $2000 for it with 120,000 on it when he traded for his '14! I figured that was good enough for me.

The only bad thing about buying a '16 is having to pay for it!
1) That is weird...
2) Teach your wife to drive a stick!
3) Good to know. In the early days, they were problematic. There's still more to go wrong though...
4) Dam...stop reminding me! I don't wanna pay for it!

#32 ·
I got the cd player so i could get the storage under the front middle seat. It is a great spot for a second handgun and a few magazines. I do not use cd's anymore. Don't even think my kids know what they are.

#33 ·
CD's are all I use. The radio plays the same 20 songs on repeat, and I absolutely HATE Christmas music...so from October to Jan 1, the radio doesn't even come on. I had SiriusXM for one year in my '06 and cancelled it. Too much talking, and the signal always cut in and out which drove me nuts (too many trees, valley's and bridges blocking signal)

I don't own any sort of Ipod or MP3 player...and don't even know how they work.

I'll either see what the aftermarket had for head units, or see about adding the factory setup to my truck. Although having it under the jump seat seems like a major PITA and not well thought out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.