Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What's the differences between 2014 2015 2016 2500/3500 models?

25K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Highway 4x4 
#1 ·
Okay guys, I currently own a 2006 Ram 3500 Megacab 5.9 Cummins 4x4 SRW but I'm wanting to turn it into a farm truck and get a new one for a daily driver. Problem is, I haven't kept up with the difference in the years and options. I'm wanting to get a 2500/3500 Megacab SRW 4x4 Limited.

So in the Heavy Duty trucks (2500/3500), trim level: Limited, what is the difference between the years of 2014, 2015, and 2016? Exclude price and diesel options. Is there anything different cosmetically exterior or interior wise? How about mechanically with the 6.4L Hemi or the transmission or 4x4? Air Leveling Suspension? Or is there any options/electronics offered on the newer ones? Keyfobs/stereo/Nav/etc? I really can't find any big differences when you compare the Limited Trim.

****I do know that the Cargo Camera on the 2016 displays on the 8.4 screen now. And the 2016 has a different grille and tailgate lettering.

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help and info guys!

#3 ·
I'm aware this is a Cummins forums. Lol. It doesnt make a difference if it a Cummins or a Hemi. Differences in the years and options that are offered have nothing to do with the engine. Unless you're talking about block heater options! Hahaha. Thanks for the obvious tho.

**There you go, I deleted "Hemi". Didnt have to change anything else. Still is the same question! LMAO

#4 ·
I think the limited was added recently , it's considerably fancier than the Laramie....it gets the different grille and tailgate treatment, plus saddle leather from rear cows. If I'm wrong somebody will step up shortly. Lots of changes since 2006 , just saw on eBay a new 3500 mega dually limited for $75,000.

#5 ·
Yea, they are pretty expensive. But worth the extra when you keep a truck for 10 to 20 years. And they do offer the limited in the 2014, 2015, and 2016. You can knock about $8,000 off per older year. Thats why I'm curious about the differences. If I go with an older one, what am I going to miss out on? Is it worth the extra to get the new one?

#8 ·
Why not wait for the 2019 year...the 5th gen will float your boat for sure. So far the differences are more chrome and minor interior changes. Hardly worth considering.

Reactions: jcorey2293
#6 ·
The 8.4 radio had different features in the 2016 vs my 2014.
The 2500 has coil springs instead of leaf springs in the rear.
The 2016's get different grill and tailgate.
All the limited's I've seen have bucket seats and console, so I'm not sure if the 40/20/40 seat is an option.

#7 ·
Center console opening changed from square (in the 2014) to rounded corners and the opening has an retracting cover in the 2015 & 2016

I believe in 2016 the full interior is black. In my 2014 the a and b pillars and headliner are a much lighter color. This alone has me contemplating trading my 14'

2016 has the huge RAM letters in the grille and tailgate

Power retracting tow mirrors available on later years not the 14'

2500 and 3500 have the 11.5" rear.

2500 and 3500 with 68rfe 370hp/800tq

With aisin
2014 3500 385hp/850tq

2015 3500 385hp/865tq

For 2016 3500 you get the 11.8" axle and 900 ft/lb torque

#10 · (Edited)
I ordered a '17 the other day, and noticed front park assist was standard now on the Laramie. Not sure if it was even an option when I got the '14. That's big in my opinion, very hard to judge front distance when trying to parallel park. I also ordered air suspension this time, I think it was first available for 2500's in '14, but so were coil springs that year. Also '14 was the first year for auto disconnect front axle on 4x4's.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. It really sounds like there isnt much difference. Thats why I couldnt find any big differences searching the forums. Especially from the 2015 to the 2016. I'm leaning towards a Certified used 2015. They are giving me the same warranty as a new one. And its $9000 less. Obviously thats because its a year older, but when this truck is 10 years old from now, one year isnt going to make a difference on resale value. I'd rather take the $9,000 now! If anyone else has any big changes that might persuade me to go new, please chime in! Thank you guys again.

#15 ·
Ok , so somebody ......I see a LoneStar occasionally , so this truck available nation wide? Where does it fall in the option range? Big Horn or Laramie?

So LoneStar is fairly new to line up?

#16 ·
Lonestar is a Texas edition. I don't know if it's a bighorn but it is not a Laramie. It has cloth seats.

Reactions: daMonk
#17 ·
Lonestar maybe similar to the Canadian Longhorn? Several of my buddies have that edition which is a step above the Laramie, or its also called the Laramie Longhorn. It has the suede/saddle leather and saddle bag rear pockets. I am not a fan of it myself. I have also seen a Limited which wasn't all that much different than my Laramie with the Sport Appearance. It had Limited stamped in the arm rest and a fancy gauge cluster. Other than that I didn't notice any other details but I wasn't playing close attention. (which I know why after thinking about it, the Limited had the huge Ram logo on the tailgate and ugly front grill)

So I would think Lonestar and Longhorn are region specific.

#22 ·
If the smog on our trucks would just hurry up and all fail perhaps FCA would do a TSB of a complete tune delete to fix them all and save the money. I am dreaming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.