Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Winter Preparation in Alaska

5K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  easymon 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just got a job in Fairbanks Alaska and have been looking into what I should do for preparing my 2015 2500 cummins. From what I've gathered using the search, I'll need my heater block cord, grill covers and an oil change to I believe 5w40. Should I get a battery blanket and treat my fuel? I appreciate the help. I've never lived in an area this cold nor had a diesel in cold weather. Thanks.

#3 ·
If you are parked outside I would do everything, and treat the fuel. Try making contact with some local's. Maybe even contact the local RAM service dept getting advice before you arrive. Fairbanks can get verrry cold! A couple decades ago I was in Prudhoe Bay in Jan/Feb. Vehicles were plugged in over night, heavy equipment was left running 24 hrs. (Never been to Fairbanks).

#4 ·
Look/feel behind bumper around passenger side tow hook block heater plug may be there zip tied up out of the way. That's where mine was, not that I really need it here in GA.

#5 ·
Just a tidbit from someone that lives in the north. I would put a 12v wolverine heater wrap on that rear filter. There's no fun in laying on -30 ground changing out filters. Been there never again throw toggle switch on it flip on 3-4 MIN. before start. The rear filter has heater but with today's bi.o blend and 3 micron filter not enough heat.

Reactions: rskeans
#6 ·
I have some buddies up in that area, and a few here that use to be stationed there. It gets cold for sure. I would do al you have mentioned above, your head is in the right direction.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm definitely going to contact a service department there soon. I didn't think of that one. Those Wolverine heaters look like a necessity and I'll be purchasing some soon now. I just want to make sure I don't forget something, thanks again.

#11 ·
When I get back next week I will post . The 1 I have is pretty slick it attachés together with Velcro.

#9 ·
If it helps any the rear fuel/water separator has a built in heater and is automatically activated once the temp sensor reads 32 or below.

#10 ·
Yes it has in a perfect world good enough but in extreme and our bio fuel and 3 micron not.

#13 ·
I don't run any of that stuff other than an Antigell past -40. Battery blankets are a false sence of security and mask battery issues which will leave you out in the cold when you can't plug in. No fuel htrs either. Never have, from my 97 to current. Good batteries don't freeze, synthetic 0-40 lets her spin over. 800,000+ on my 97 and still going. Use your block htr when you can and use Howes antigell when it hits the -40s. Real winter blend fuel is good up north. Mileage will be your worst enemy and will tank.
If you emissions are intacked, be prepared for fuel dilution in your oil, and stay on top of frequent oil changes during this time.
I see you have a 2015. Using DEF? Good luck with several short repeated trips in the cold. This will be an issue. If your deleted, it won't be an issue.
Enjoy the North. As its a great life.

Reactions: cpaine
#15 ·
It's the nature of the beast. DEF will be frozen, more EGR cycles= dirtier burn, more frequent post injection with an engine not up to operating temps.
Don't worry about it, drive your truck and enjoy.
Just be aware of it and watch your dipstick. When you see 1/2" or more above your normal level, change it. It works out to about 8% dilution.

#17 ·
You will get a true -50 pour Arctic diesel once you are living up here.
As I said I run no heaters for my fuel system not even the factory ones as I run a fass system. You will have two factory heaters, one for the front and one for the rear so you are still ahead of the game especially with what's in the pumps up here. I have never had a fuel related issue living up north just keep up with your filter changes.

#20 ·
The two htrs I was mentioning are for your fuel. One up front fuel filter and your rear Filter. Again I have neither htr and have never had a gelling issue. Your block htr is a bonus and helps out for sure, but is not required. No plug ins in the bush or most places when your vehicle sits out for the day away from home.

#19 ·
It gets chilly here, that's for sure. Maybe consider another set of tires? Some people up here have 2 sets of tires, a summer tread, and then a studded winter set for the ice. Big Mud Terrains really don't do well up here. Soft rubber burns fast, gets crappy mileage, and offers terrible snow/ice traction in my opinion. Other than that, the heaters, grill cover, block heater cord (important) and oil change should get you started. Last winter was more ice than snow. I think this last February it was an average of -2 oF.

Reactions: N of 60
#22 ·
I think your block heater cord is already installed - they came that way on 2015's. You should find/expect there to be power plugs where ever you decide to live and at work. There are many diesels in that part of the world- the guys you meet should be a big help. Check your anti-freeze - the normal mix is probably not adequate for -60. Figure what it takes to keep you warm if you breakdown and always in winter have it in the truck - toe/hand/body warmer packets are great. You'll want mittens - not gloves. Only about 5 hours of not dark in Dec/Jan. That cold kills flashlight batteries in use - doesn't hurt storage. The last couple winters have been mild - don't be complaisant it will continue - this and next winter may be more normal. Many people drink to much in winter - do not drink booze exposed to extreme cold - it will freeze your throat on the way down. Take vitamin D3 pills - about 4,000 iu daily. Snowmobiles are great fun - never go alone

Enjoy, the north is wonderful.

Reactions: N of 60 and cpaine
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.