Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Worth trading my 5.9 for 4th gen?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  CGCampbell07 
#1 ·
Just curious to what you guys think I really like the looks of the 4th gens and it seems like those 6.7s are capable of making significantly more power than the 5.9 3rd gens with the same mods so lately I've been considering trading my 3rd Gen in my sig for a built 4th gen mine just turned over 47k miles it's not my daily lol. But was wondering if I would be better off just keeping mine. Do you think the government is gonna start cracking down on deleted trucks in the future?

#2 ·
Keep yours...4th gens are nice, I really like mine. I know of some law enforcement in Texas that is checking trucks to see if deleted. One guy I sold some parts to has been ticketed for lack of NOx catalyst and DPF...the city or county is basically looking for cash...$100 or $200 fine from my understanding.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Idk about diesels are not emission tested anywhere in the state. If your friend was pulling commercial then tjat would make more sense.

To the op I would say go for it but i am a bit biased as I don't like the interior of 3rd gens.

#3 ·
Or, wait and see if the 6.7 becomes EGR-free like the off-road engines...

#4 ·
#5 ·
I would like to put water-methanol on mine to help keep the intake tract clean, on top of making some power.

#8 ·
^^^ What I think everytime someone wants to get a 4th gen just for the 6.7. Much better to just swap the motors than swap the whole truck.

#9 ·
The ride has to be much better right? Also someone on here said his 4th gen towed way better then his 05. I have been contemplating the same thing just for the better quality interior I would only get one if it were a Laramie or Long Horn edition.

#10 ·
Yea the interior upgrade would be nice and imo they just look better one of the big things that has me on the fence about it is getting a built deleted truck then in 5 years the government really starts cracking down on the emission crap

#11 · (Edited)
What year is the truck you are looking at? The suspension is the same from 03-12. If you just want a new truck, buy a new truck, but if you're doing it for engine and ride, those are two easy fixes. I want a new truck, but then I think about how cheap my tags are, how cheap my insurance is, and how nice a paid off truck drives.

#12 ·
I would want atleast the year they made the switch to the new suspension. But for me I would have to leave all emissions on because of where I live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.