Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel filter set on Amazon

42K views 322 replies 102 participants last post by  Dogpatch 
#1 ·
So I'm almost at 5k miles on my 16 3500 CCLB SRW. My plan is to change oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k. I will average about 10k miles a year. I've seen that many buy filters online due to them being cheaper. I called around to multiple dealerships and they all wanted $80 per fuel filter.

I checked online and found this set on Amazon for 86$ with shipping. Have any of you used this seller? They look to be a dealership but who knows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MGSC2IW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1A774T62R7DQE

I know of Genosgarage but it's almost an additional 50$ more than this set. I know I got 5k miles to wait but I wanted to have a set on hand incase of bad fuel.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I checked online and found this set on Amazon for 86$ with shipping.

Looks like these are genuine Mopar parts. I don't understand how they are selling this set for that price, and coming from a dealership. What's going on here. Are we being gouged by our dealerships. Maybe techs working at dealerships can let us know.

#185 ·
Dealerships.....um "Stealerships are the highest price sellers and services in the universe!! :surprise: Too many options all around for avoiding the "Stealerships" Warranty issues or are the only sane reason to ever use any of them.
Amazon has many great deals on parts but beware of some of the off brand Chinese electronics and knock offs. Ebay also is your friend for parts. look around them all for the best deals. Ask on these forums if you have question this gang is eager to help.
When I returned the fake filters and bought the real ones through Athens Dodge (best price at the time on Amazon) it was a difference of about $6. more. Which to me....was well worth the peace of mind on a 70K truck that was still in the factory warranty period.

#7 ·
I checked online and found this set on Amazon for 86$ with shipping.

Looks like these are genuine Mopar parts. I don't understand how they are selling this set for that price, and coming from a dealership. What's going on here. Are we being gouged by our dealerships. Maybe techs working at dealerships can let us know.
I don't work at a dealership but I can let you know - the answer is yes. Some of the biggest parts sellers on Amazon and Ebay that have the very best prices are legitimate dealers. They've realized they can make a bundle on online parts sales by keeping their prices very competitive. Since they are running it through these other vendors they don't have the expense of hosting their own complex site; and they just have to have one of the parts guys handle the orders.

On two separate occasions I have bought new cars and ordered new mats, etc from a rival dealership while waiting on the paperwork. The "normal" dealerships just shrug and say our prices are ridiculous, buy elsewhere.

Reactions: 1968rt
#8 ·
great price on fuel filters (if OEM), but changing fuel filters early only does one thing, it waist money.

really same with changing oil early. Waist of money.

but if you only put 10K on per year, and plan on changing oil at 5K, that IS the factory recommendation (every 15K OR 6 months, which ever is first).

The oil companies needed to make more money, which requires them to sell more oil, so how do they do it? major advertisement campaign telling you its in your best interest to change your oil early.

#9 ·
The oil companies needed to make more money, which requires them to sell more oil, so how do they do it? major advertisement campaign telling you its in your best interest to change your oil early.
Always get a good laugh out of these paranoid alarmist posts.

Manufacturer guidelines an all vehicles has gone up dramatically in recent years. Even gas cars have gone from 3k to 7.5k, partially due to synthetic oils. I guess the oil companies didn't realize that synthetics would cause them to sell less oil...:stirpot:

Reactions: Will_R and 1968rt
#10 ·
I ordered 2 sets from them last week and they are delivering today.

It is a dodge dealer.

#11 ·
I ordered from that seller in June. They are the correct Mopar filter. The price has went down a bit. I paid $101. That's the best deal I have seen on Mopar filters. As for changing the fuel filters at 10k I don't think that is necessary I would just stick to the 15k. I stick to the 6 month oil change. Usually 12k miles.

#12 ·
I've ordered from that seller twice as well. No problems and they are genuine filters.

Reactions: phxpsd
#73 ·
It all depends on how long you keep the truck. I don't think there are very many of these that won't hit 200K, I just doubt most will be the original owners.

I think on the fuel filters its a good idea, b/c you don't know if you got a bunch or water at the last fill up and injectors and high pressure pumps are expensive.:nerd:

I always saying i'm going to keep each truck to 300k, but I have never done it. Had a ford with 160k...but thats the most I have done.

#14 ·
I have bought from them before, good deal.

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive. Best thing to do is simply use the best synthetic you can afford, I prefer Amsoil, get a dual oil filter setup and go buy a magnetic drain plug that actually works (MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUGS) is who I use for all my cars, trucks, and motorcycles. From there, just pay to get an oil sample at each change, if you find at 5,000 miles fuel saturation is not bad and the oil is still "good", extend a little furhter, another 2,500 miles, until you get a reading that says it should be changed.

Obviously, this will change based on driving factors too. If you tow, it will likely wear down a little faster. Keeping your oil at a cooler temperature is key too, upgrading your oil cooler helps too, perhaps one with a fan that'll keep those temps down.

Fuel filters, IMO, are ultra important for diesels, more so than gasoline engines and I would NEVER wait for the max interval to change. I would change mine at the 25-20% indicated life. At $86 for a set, cheaper than an injector.

#16 ·
Sure what is printed below is coming right from the synthetic people.
it might be a good way to go if your trying to get your moneys worth out of higher priced synthetics. But you know how many Cummins lived a 1/2 million miles life on a diet of cheep Shell Rotella-t, or Valvoline, (or enter brand name dino oil here), changed at manufactures recommended intervals? (with a good filter).

diesel engine oil life is not a hard one, its just about carrying soot to the filter.

I ran Amsoil for years when all I had to do was worry about the mileage component (06, changed every 10K which was 2 years) but now you have to schedule in the "or every 6 months" and some truck with fuel dilution. its not worth diluting expensive oil.

your oil price per change is looking at near $100 for Amsoil.
or another synthetic is $60.00 for rotella T6.
but its $39 for Rotella T
The savings over Amsoil is $120 per year.
as you can see, its not "cheep insurance". because your forced by factory recommended intervals to change at least every 6 months.

#15 ·
Great price, even though my filter life is at 74% I'm going to order a set today.

I change mine at 15k but drain the water separator every 5k oil change. Haven't seen water yet. My driving is 90% interstate with no load so averaging 23+ mpg at 15k fuel filter changes I'm probably running less fuel through my filters than an average diesel truck owner does in 10k miles. If my driving habits change or I start to see water in the separator, I'll start changing filters sooner.

My local dealer charges $192 for the pair...

#19 ·
Funny what dealers do with their parts pricing, especially on these filters, charging over list price for them, you'd think they thought they were selling Hellcats! I think list on the filters is $67 and change and dealers charging $80 each for them is just price gouging!!!

Now, that set on Amazon is way cheap, even though I'm broke, I've got to order a set.

#23 ·
I guess I need to order a set now that I provided everyone with the link, lol. Hopefully they have some by tonight.

#27 ·
I called twice today and asked for someone in parts. Never got anyone on the phone but it transfered me to someone's voice-mail which said wholesale parts. With that and others saying they've purchased there i bought a set too. It's by far the cheapest I've seen since I've started looking 6 months ago when I bought my truck. Hopefully you all are right or we all just bought a bunch of expensive garbage!

#29 ·
Ive used two sets of them. OEM/Mopar, can't go wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.