Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Shoutout to DeeZee support

4K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Old Bleu 
#1 ·
Late last year I installed the Dee Zee tailgate assist. I did my best to make sure everything was tightened properly, but with my remote tailgate control I wasn't keeping a close eye on it and the end on the tailgate worked loose. It got loose enough, and rough enough, that I had to remove the mount nut on the tailgate and rethread it with a tap, and clean the threads on the bolt.

In the process I misplaced the spring locks on the cylinder. Monday I emailed DeeZee about it hoping to order the parts. Today I received a UPS shipment with the cylinder ends and spring locks! No charge!

So I wanted to spread the word - solid product, and excellent customer support!

#2 ·
Best $25 i think I've EVER spent on my truck!!

+1 for DeeZee for sure!!

Reactions: tonyb337
#4 ·
DeeZee service is great. That plastic thing broke on mine during installation and they sent out a new one quickly.
FWIW - I get to deal with customers at work and it is not easy. The customer is not always right even if you have to treat them like they are...

#7 ·
The DeeZee instructions warn repeatedly against installing on the passenger side. Here's a quote from the instruction sheet:

Can the Tailgate Assist be installed on the passenger’s side?
No. The unit will not work on the passenger side of the truck bed.
The passenger side of the vehicle that has the slot that allows
the tailgate to be removed

Reactions: Gunny Fitz
#6 ·
I was just looking at this on Amazon. It says it's compatible with my old '13, but not compatible with my '16, even though I'm sure it probably is. I guess if I order it I'll make sure to use some loc-tite. Or maybe I'll order 2 for good measure.

Reactions: Ram16
#8 ·
On DeeZee's website it looks like the same part# DZ43301 works for the 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, but you should check for yourself to be certain. No need to order 2, as you can only install on the driver's side.

Reactions: bitNine
#13 ·
I plan on ordering one. Not sure why it would come loose if properly installed with the thread lock. I have seen many youtube videos with people showing them on their ram trucks and the one on the drive side seems to 100% handle it.

#15 ·
I have installed many of their tailgate assists. Do yourself a favor and buy better locktite. What they provide with the kit is not as good as the locktite i have purchased at the auto parts stores. Other than that it is a great product with top notch customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
This is what I did. After cleaning up the threads and retightening things I used real loctite.

#19 ·
Where are you guys ordering from??? I bought a second one for a friend, ordered Saturday morning and they dropped it off Monday. Amazon Prime free shipping.

#26 ·
Make sure you check it in a month and retighten if needed.

Reactions: CRDIOKC
#28 ·
Ditto bitNine!!! lol

**To the OP (JoshJack) - Have you sent the DeeZee Customer Service an email giving them same praise and perhaps even copying your initial Post in this Thread as proof you are helping them spread the word about their awesome products?

Ironically enough, I even did the same to them saying exactly what I said in my comment directly below yours! I always give credit where due and reach out to those companies which I believe rate thanks personally. Quite often its so well received these Companies even offer gestures of their "Thanks" back to me, which is very generous! ;)

Reactions: Scuba0331
#29 ·
One more 5 star recommendation for DeeZee customer service. Through my own error, I stripped the threads on the nutsert while installing it (measured the 3/4" spacing to the bottom of the cap bolt, not the top). I called them to see if I could buy another nutsert. Fessed up that it was my error. They sent me a complete installation kit via UPS, and would not accept my offer to pay!

I installed the tailgate assist today, and it went on and works well. I am impressed!

#32 ·
I'll refan the flames on this thread, and offer a bit of clarification. You CAN use two assists on your tailgate. I have been for years on my CC '05 and also on the Mega '14. The assists will work on either side, as they, by design are ambidextrous for fitment. They don't care which side you mount them on. Dee Zee tells you NOT to mount on the right side as you have the slot to remove the tailgate there, and the assist MAY raise the gate enough to slip out of it's mount, and it just MIGHT do that. So, as I have been doing for years to keep thieves from easily removing my tailgates, I just wrap a hose clamp around the gate mount on the right side and no more easy lift out. There is also a retailer that sells a little metal clamp for about $30 or so that does the same thing. Hose clamp is much less expensive. Now if you're removing your tailgate on a weekly basis or so, this might be a PITA to screw and unscrew the clamp weekly, but for me, I've never removed my tailgate once even towing a 5'er. With the expense of all the fancy stuff (locks,camera's etc) in the newer gates, a couple of dollar investment for a hose clamp is cheap insurance. And, by the way, using a double assist, your gate lowers just a bit slower (I perfer that), I've never experienced a lower ball problem (as some have complained about), and it makes absolutely no difference in the effort to raise or re stow your tailgate. For me, a fix for something that was never a problem. I like it that way.........

#35 ·
I agree on the DeeZee customer service. When I was installing my tailgate assist, I buggered up the nutsert through my own error. I called them to see if I could buy a replacement for just that part. I explained that it was my fault, but they still sent me the complete nutsert and installation tool at no cost.

I got it right the 2nd time, and love how it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.