Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Well, the Lemon Law process has started.

22K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  CRDIOKC 
#1 ·
So, it looks like Ram will be buying back my 2016 6.7L 3500 dually. The truck only has 7k miles on it. I kinda wish I had kept mt 13 model SRW now.

The problem is a loud tick in the engine. It started at around 4k miles and has gotten worse as time has gone on. It is very noticeable at idle. To the point other 6.7 owners have asked what was wrong with it. It took it to the shop on 6/8 and they have had it every since(over 30 days). The dealership recommended that the entire valvetrain be replaced. Ram denied the repair and told them to give it back to me like it was. They told me to drive it a few more thousand miles and see if it got louder. NO THANKS! The Tech that has been working on it and the Service Manager both know something is wrong with it.

Now, I'm just waiting to hear back from Ram to see of the buy back is going to go smoothly or if I'm going to have to get a lemon law attorney. In GA, if they have had a vehicle for 30 days, or more, and haven't fixed it, they have to repurchase it.

I guess it's time to order another one.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Any advice on the process?

#4 ·
Yes.......instead of using an attorney, file for arbitration using
NCDS - Home FCA has contracted them to handle these type of situations. It uses the same rules/requirements(number of repair visits/days out of service) as your states lemon law process, but without any lawyers. It is a very quick process. FCA is bound by it's ruling but you can accept it or not. You should have a small book with your manuals that explains how it works.

Sam

Reactions: gsbrockman
#3 ·
Sorry to hear you have to go through this. It sucks.

Can't help you but others should be able to chime in. Keep us posted on the process.

#5 ·
After my 15 was out of service and reached the lemon law criteria, 30 days or 3 repair attempts. I spoke with ram4sam and read a lot on the forum along with researched via Internet. I mailed the arbitration paperwork. I then spoke with my Star case manager and asked for a buyback. I stayed I already filed the arbitration notice and would like for Ram to step up and buy the truck back or I would go the legal way with it. The next day I received a call from a case manager. She asked what I wanted FCA to do and I stated I wanted the truck replaced. Within 24 hours she called me back and said the buyback was approved. Then the same day I got my truck back, the hesitation was fixed. My truck always had a tick, I asked the dealership about the tick. Their response was they checked all the clearances and it is all within spec, that I was getting a buyback and to just drive it.

So, I drove the truck like I stole it for approximately 2 weeks. Then I made this video. Truck had about 1700 miles when I made the video.
http://youtu.be/aKdDqvqMcJk

The next day driving home from work and it rattled to a stop in the middle of the highway.....long story short it locked up solid and I drove a loaner truck until I got my new one. A new engine was ordered and replaced by the local dealer, where the truck sits with 1748 miles and waiting to be taken to auction.

#6 ·
If I had only known the colorof it.....:stirpot::rof:spank::spank:

#7 ·
Thanks for the info! I am still waiting to hear back FCA. I'll keep ya'll updated.

#8 ·
Best of luck.....:thumbsup:

Sam

#9 ·
id make sure you get your tires and bumper off that thing before they take it. I had a buddy get a buyback and they took all his aftermarket stuff with it. unless you plan on spending the money again swap out the tires for some cheap used the day before or the day of return and buyback, and if you still have the stock bumper do the same as soon as possible.

#10 ·
As long as you have receipts for the aftermarket stuff they will return your money. Either that or return to stock when ISG does the inspection.

#11 ·
Sorry to see you are going to have to make them buy it back. Do make sure you have them move the tires/wheels, and bumper to the new truck. Buy the way, what are the tires and wheels you have, I am trying to decide what to get for my truck?

#15 ·
They are the factory Alcoas with Cooper St Max tires in size 255/80/17.

Reactions: Don_T
#17 ·
I just got a call from the claims resolution blah blah blah. She tried to tell me that the dealer ship tried to make me come get the truck on 6/28( I dropped it off on 6/8) and that she would see if they would even consider buying it back. Thats BS. I had to call on 7/8 to check on it, to find out they weren't going to fix it yet. I called the service manager and he said that the repair order is still open on the truck and that she was full of *^$!.

He told me to come get it and then bring it back tomorrow to start the 3 attempts also. He has been AMAZINGLY helpful. Oh, and the lady at FCA stated she would get back with me within the next 4 weeks?

#18 ·
Apparently in this day and age they would have left a voicemail or something to let you know. If the repair order is still open, then she for sure is telling stories. Paperwork is paperwork, it all has dates that you can go by.

#22 ·
I doubt very seriously the mathematical error was actually an error. You would be surprised at the number of people who just assume that the numbers being spoken or shown to them are right and are to lazy (or dumb) to check them for theirselves.

#26 ·
The dealership I used, never tried to get out of anything. Answered or returned my every phone call.

#25 ·
Not surprising "Ram" aka Fiat, lol............... saying "drive it another few thousand and see if it works itself out....". Then prolonging the inevitable....They don't want to spend the coin to pony up a new motor and they don't want "the clunker" back either...Then it becomes their problem. What will they do with it then?

Keep after "the machine"........dealers "play" the folks who don't know.

#29 ·
I picked it up yesterday and will be taking it back in this morning for the same reason. The dealer has been AWESOME. They are even going to put me in a loaner truck until everything is taken care of. I will be getting a Bright Green loaner though. I was hoping for something a little more subdued, LOL.

I told the lady at FCA that I understood it was probably her job to try to get away with not doing what was right, but that it wasn't going to happen. Hopefully that wild end that game.

#30 ·
Just be careful......the dealership I believe ends up being the one who has to buy the truck back. Maybe one of the dealers here can mention what happens in a lemon law buyback. But I don't thing the dealership gets away unscathed. They could be "AWESOME" because they are trying to buy some good will from you.

#53 ·
Buyers need to be very cautious on used trucks with low mileage. My 14 was the biggest turd i have ever owned. The dealer and i have a great relationship. I avoided all the headache when they took it in on trade and just gave all my money back. My current 15 has so far been awesome. On my 14 the ac went out twice. The 68rfe went out twice. Axle seals leaked on both sides. Recirculate door busted. Gauge cluster was screwy and about a dozen other small issues. When they resold it only a few issues showed up and neither transmission showed up as i traded it in on the lift. I am sure some guy got a sweet deal on a truck that he thinks was owned by some old lady that put 14,000 miles on it going to church and to play bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#54 ·
Bless the new buyer....Carfax or any of those other "data collection" groups....I personally don't trust any of them. Watch the flood vehicles too.....

Good to hear your newer truck is doing well. :grin2:

#59 ·
Don't know about GA but is CA the law sounds about the same. I used to sell them for years and had a couple of customers do buybacks on both dodge an other brands(Ford and Porsche). If the truck fits the buyback standards, the usually had no problems and needed no third party and were well taken care of by the formula. It basically included everything including cost, accessories and tax, maybe not license, minus mileage you got. Most are given the choice or a new like truck or cash. In CA they have to be given the choice, not forced to take another truck. If you want another one, I would ask them to get you a new truck. You might have to order it or take a little difference in color or something to not wait. That might save you some money in that they may not hit you for the miles. If you have a loan and a better interest rate than is available now, you can ask the bank to do a "substitute of collateral" on your original loan with a substitute truck, with at least some banks, may vary in states. Don't pay anybody to help you. You should not need to do that. Like I said it may be best to just ask for another truck, but you will have to check it out and do the math. They would much rather have another truck on the road than give you the cash where you could go somewhere else. I am surprised they do not want to put in another motor. That could be your quickest solution.

#60 ·
I am surprised they do not want to put in another motor. That could be your quickest solution.
I can understand why they won't they would rather you drive a new one than keep the current one and tell your friends you needed a new engine before X miles.

#61 ·
Interesting. I noticed this tick in my last truck, but it wasn't quite as pronounced as in Hulk's truck. New one doesn't make that noise, and is actually a LOT quieter than my old truck, which had about 35k miles on it when I traded it in.

#62 ·
Hey folks, do not forget Cummins still uses these engines in many applications other than Dodge Ram. So if you have an engine noise or problem, you can still go to a Cummins store to TALK about it. You still have to have warranty work done by Dodge Ram, but I bet you can get some good unbiased information and even diagnosis from Cummins shop people, service writers and parts guys.

#64 ·
I took the truck back in on the 12th for the same ticking noise. I finally heard back from FCA yesterday and the lady I have been dealing with told me that she talked to the dealership and that the sound still wasn't loud enough to fix. She repeated the same "drive it a few more thousand miles, and see if it gets louder or fails". I explained to her again that the only conversation that I was having with her was about when they would be honoring the Lemon Law and nothing else. It has now been in the shop for over 40 days. She proceeded to tell me that she couldn't handle that. I told her no problem, tell me who can or I will just call Monday morning and hire a lemon law attorney. She then tells me that give her until next week to see what she can do about a replacement or repurchase. SO NOW you can handle it but two minutes ago you couldn't?!!! WTF?

It looks like I'm going to have to do this the hard way. I even explained to her that if I had to hire an attorney, I would NOT be ordering another Ram. I love the product but I refuse to spend money with anyone that doesn't treat their customers like they should. I'm beyond tired of this crap.

#65 ·
Just hire a lawyer and let them deal with the headaches. I just went through all this in CA and it was relatively painless. They have to cover the legal fees anyway so why not let someone else handle it?

#66 ·
I, foolishly, thought I would make it easier on FCA and myself, by not involving a lawyer. Looks like that was my mistake.

#67 ·
You still can, do not hire lawyer. She is right, she is just a pee-on. Go in and talk directly to the General Service Manager, not her. The Service MANAGER, not writer, Has to put together a package and contact the Chrysler Service Rep. to process it for approval. Remember this is a $60,000 project, not a 5 dollar bolt. Remind him you know the law, which by the way is probably in a pamphlet in your owners manual package. You may have to go to the store manager but I doubt it. I believe that when you talk to the real service manager you will get things moving. You can also ask for the phone number to the Chrysler rep if needed or for them to call you. Please recheck my previous post. Let me know if you still have problems.

#68 ·
I test drove a 2006 Ford F250 from a Ford Dealer. I like to test drive the vehicle and get away from dealers lot . I find a parking lot and open all the doors and look through everything I can. Truck was advertised as clean car fax with no accidents. I found a huge stain under rear floor mat and the repair work done at another dealership. The messages back and forth from previous owner and insurance company. The message included having the grill guard being replaced by a full replacement bumper. Front end damage not showing. I walked in after the test drive and their salesmens look was priceless

#69 ·
Follow up every conversation with an E mail stating everything in the conversation. They never go away and they know it. .

#70 ·
Need to start the arbitration, you don't have to hire a lawyer first. This is what @Ram4Sam did and it starts by using the post card in your glove box for arbitration.

Reactions: TXSierra01
#72 ·
Sorry for the delay in updating. I got a new job(flight paramedic) and I've been pretty busy.

1st: Even after the truck had been out of service for 42 days, over 2 times in the shop, the truck was still making the awful noise. The representative at FCA emailed me told me that they would do nothing in the way of replacing or repurchasing. I was beyond ill. I decided that a State of GA Final repair notice was in order. I sent it certified mail with the repair orders and a letter explaining the GA Lemon Law, my disgust, and how inconvenient all this had been.

2nd: 2 weeks later I receive another email stating that FCA would like to replace the truck. Why it couldn't be that simple from the start is beyond me. So looks like I'll be ordering it's replacement soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.