Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Crew Cab 3500 - First Model Year?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  zippinbye 
#1 · (Edited)
Like the title says, which model year was the Crew Cab available in a 3500? Sort of a newbie question, I know. But I did not find a FAQ on here, and the wiki info on the open net is terribly written with blurred lines between 1500s and the heavy duty trucks.

Only reason I'm even contemplating a 4th Gen is rear seat comfort for my ever-growing kids. Megacabs were never an option, since I'm an long-bed guy. I thought my bought-new 2004.5 would be a keeper forever. Still hard to rationalize since I don't expect a newer truck will do anything that my tried and true 5.9 can't. But I expect a 4th Gen can do it with greater comfort, so I have to consider a switch.

That said, I need to keep the investment in the cash transaction range, so earlier years are probably better, barring a significant reason to opt for a certain model year. Especially considering some engine mods would be likely, does it really matter what year regarding evolution of the 6.7 (power, noise, etc)? Any insight on the proportion of trucks produced with a 68RFE vs. Aisin, and tips on how to recognize the difference when browsing used trucks online?

Finally, any comments on satisfaction/regrets from anyone who made the 3d Gen to 4th Gen leap would be appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
2010 first year for ANY Dodge truck to have the crew cab, be it 1500, 2500, 3500, etc.

Well technically, they were available from '72-'85 but that's not newer trucks. But up to '09 has the same quad cab as your '04 does.

#7 ·
The Mega came out in 06 and technic ally the Crew Cab came out in 09 for the 1500's and 10 for the 25-3500's :stirpot:

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the replies everybody. Since the forum has a "break point" for 2013 and newer trucks, now I'm left wondering about the differences beginning then. As a current Cummins community member with my 325/600 truck, I feel dumb presenting such basic questions. There must be a FAQ, model year differences chart, or some sort of "wiki." But a can't seem to find it. Guidance to a source would be appreciated!

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
2010 to 2012 had no def systems and have the same suspension/frame I believe from 2008.

2013+ 3500 and 2014+ rams have new suspension and frames while both starting at 2013 have def.

Def is diesel exhaust fluid which allows the truck to use egr less. This also help improve the mpg vs the 2010 to 2012 the mpg were pretty low.

Reactions: zippinbye
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.