Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Factory Air Bag Auto System Reviews?

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Rhinopkc 
#1 ·
What's the consensus on the factory air bag/auto leveling system for these trucks? I'm looking to have a built truck to spec in the near future! The route I'm taking will be Limited 3500 SRW Crew Cab Looong Bed:grin2:

Is it reliable and perform well? Or would you recommend Firestone bags and compressor?

Pics if anyone has them too under load!

#3 ·
For what it is designed for, the factory self levelling systems, both 2500 and 3500, work very well. One of the best options I got on my truck.

But, they are mainly designed for trucks that tow heavy a lot.

#4 ·
I tow heavy and the system works great. I would like the ability to tweak the pressure when loaded lightly.

#8 ·
So can I take from your statement that the system on these trucks does not try to achieve a specific 'ride height'?

My only mods are gonna be a leveling kit and 35's that's it! What problems will I encounter doing this?
I'm going to guess you should have no issues other than needing to do an initial headlight adjustment after the lift.

#12 · (Edited)
Yes, but the truck is being supported by a leaf spring, not the bag. The entire 2500 truck's rear end is being supported by the bag, no matter what's in the back. The 3500 still has a standard leaf sprung suspension setup. It's a great system for the guy who is never going to modify his truck,and wants to drive off the lot and start hauling giant loads without ever tinkering with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Yes, but the truck is being supported by a leaf spring, not the bag. The entire 2500 truck's rear end is being supported by the bag, no matter what's in the back. The 3500 still has a standard leaf sprung suspension setup.

Does the auto level system work independent on it's own or does the user command when to level the truck? I'm a little confused, does the system work like Firestone bags and compressor were you flip a switch to fill the bags or do sensors automatically try to keep the bed level at all times? Is that why you said I would run into issues by doing a level kit up front?

#14 ·
It's all auto, you just hook n book. If I was the type of person who was satisfied with stock, I would be all over it. I've just never ridden in a stock truck that rode like I know a truck can ride. If I hauled trailers for a living, I would probably jump on it, but I haul my trailer about six to ten times a year like most people who have to work to pay for the toys. My personal truck just gets Timbrens when I need to tow, then they come off for the party.

#20 ·
what are timbrens?

I am also thinking about adding air bags to my 2016 2500, i just don't know whether to add supplemental bags, or bags which completely replace the coils. Only issue i have with replacing the coil is fear or tearing them off road. (Truck is and will mostly likely remain stock height)

I wish the 3500 had a 4 link rear suspension. Adding air bags only to a 3500 is so expensive and the setups i have seen are very clunky. Seems to me like it would make more sense to get a 2500 and add bags then get a 3500 for the extra payload.

#18 ·
Ok so now I am confused. If I where to put a leveling kit on the truck with the factory air bags would I have problem? I know the lights need adjust etc but what will happen to the rear leveling bags on either the 2500 or 3500?

#19 ·
Only would have a problem if you use the alternate ride height that is available on the self levelling, with a front levelling kit that setting would make the rear sit lower than the front.

#24 ·
interesting i didn't know about them. They are kind of like helper springs for coil suspension. why not just always leave them installed? how does it ride with them under load? When not under load and you hit a bump etc. and they come in contact does it provide a harsh feeling like bottoming out?

#25 ·
You can leave them in, but they are increasing your spring rate, so, just like air bags, you're going to feel them when you get into them. I like to enjoy the benefits of my nice suspension when I'm not towing, so I take the Timbrens out. It's not as harsh a feeling as bottoming out when you get into them, but you can feel them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.