Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best MPG so far...

16K views 145 replies 64 participants last post by  Random2k 
#1 ·
Just got back from a fishing trip which was right at 450 miles round trip. Fueled up and reset the EVIC as I left the house. This pic was as I pulled back into my driveway. Not too bad for a 9000+ pound truck.

I haven't fueled back up yet but when I do I will hand calculate and see if they are close. Kept it at the speed limit which varied from 60-70 and had some stop and go for about 50 miles when I got off the interstate.

I didn't buy a DRW Crew Cab Long Bed Diesel thinking I'd get Prius mileage but I'm Very happy with 20+

See less See more
#8 ·
Why don't you read the post...

I haven't fueled back up yet but when I do I will hand calculate and see if they are close.

I have hand calculated in the past and they have been close. Actually better than what the EVIC had but a couple tenths of a mpg. But that could be because I squeezed maybe a few more drops in the tank trying to savor the cheaper diesel. Neither hand calculated nor EVIC will give you exact numbers because of that variation alone. I usually hand calculate and compare and when I do it on this trip it'll be close to the EVIC. either way I'm happy with the fuel economy of a 25' long 9,000 pound truck....

I'm not easily embarrassed

#9 ·
I'm usually 2 mpg lower hand cal. But that is still good. On my fuel app I'm 17.71 mpg over all average towing non towing. 34000 miles. You have two more tires and two more doors so you are doing great.
Jim

#20 ·
Same here 23.5mpg on a nice long family vacation trip from NE to CA and back. EVIC said 25 but hand calculated was 23.5. That was with a few extra >:) parts left at home, Had to cut weight.

#12 ·
My hand calculated best is 20.4 mpg and that was when the truck had less than 3,000 miles on it, since then all of my highway only miles has had a travel trailer behind me.

#14 ·
I have a 13 srw 3500 with 53k on it. The best I get is 16. Looking at 400 miles out of tank light truck. I say that's pretty ty. My duramax got 600 miles out of a tank light truck.kinda makes me wonder why I went back to a cummins. This is my 45th one. And by far the worst fuel mileage

#18 ·
On both my 13 and my 16 the computer was 8.5% high. I'm amazed at the correlation. It is almost as if they programmed them that way...

#21 ·
Owned my truck for only 4 days now (328 miles). 2016 Crew, longbox 4x4 2500 with 6 speed manual and 3.42 gearing. Pull a 26 foot enclosed trailer to the track and back with mostly 55 mph zones. 1 day trailer hooked on for 80 miles, trailer was fully loaded. Been driving around town and country without trailer rest of the time.

Hand calculated yesterday on fill-up and I got 15.458 mpg.... Not too bad for a new truck

#23 ·
Why did I ever get a SRW with 3:42 when I could have averaged the same or better with a DRW and 3:73.....:wink2::blues:

So as long as we are talking about record type mpg - this was from a thread back in June '14 -

"42 mile stretch down in the Keys this weekend. No traffic, reset mpg - 21 miles one way, 21 miles back. Just wanted to see what she could do if I was doing around a 1000 or so rpm, around 46 mph. Even had the A/C on! She stayed within a few tenths the entire way. Yes, it says 31.7 mpg."

Now if I could just figure out a way to actually average that on a tank of fuel, real world conditions, that is truly "hand calculated", instead of the 19.8 mpg true overall actual on this particular tank.....:grin2::wink2:

On my runs from FL to CA to FL not towing - I average 23.8 mpg EVIC, 21.74 hand calc.

Different trip, same route one way FL to CA - Towing a loaded 12' U-haul, along with another 3k in bed/cab cargo (about 8k overall total) - I average 17.7 mpg EVIC, 16.3 hand calc.

Different trip, same route, CA to FL - Towing my loaded 18' Ultra Hauler (which is like towing a brick), along with the bed loaded and cargo (about 11k overall total). I average 12.3 EVIC, 11.4 hand calc.

#25 ·
There is on mine. But then again my lie-o- meter is consistently 12% optimistic. It gets even worse when I try to save fuel. In 25,000 miles it's been correct exactly 1 time. A few months ago I towed a flatbed about 350 miles. Trailer only weighed about 4500 empty and 10,000 loaded. 275 empty and 75 loaded, overhead said 13 and that's what I got. The rest of the trip was loaded and the overhead was off 15% at the end. I don't know how anybody matches the readout consistently.

#26 ·
The best I've ever done was 18.6. That was roughly a 200 mile trip @ 65MPH...mostly downhill. I got 14.8 going the other direction up the hill, which I was pretty happy about considering my hand calculated average is 13.5.

FYI, my lie-o-meter consistently reads 7-9% high.

#29 ·
You need to fill out your sig! What truck? Must be a 2wd...

#30 ·
Just hit 2000 miles on my new cummins. Seems to be limbering up - first tank was 18.5 Hand calc'd (with about 19.3 on computer). Computer seems to show 18-20 on average. I'm hoping the average comes up more as it breaks in however, I'm happy where i'm at now with an almost 8000lb 4wd pickup.

#32 ·
Had to drive to Madison yesterday for parts. Left with 693 miles on it and returned with 978. Set the cruise both ways and did the speed limit. Some 70mph, 65mph interstate and 55mph country roads with towns. Reset the mpg readout before I left and before I came home. No load in the box and no trailer.

20.6mpg on the way down and 20.4 coming back. I'm more than pleased being that with a brand new truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.