Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Light elec vs heavy elec

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  sargenthp 
#1 ·
I'm not sure on which to use. I've always had a basic controller on past trucks.

Just bought a 7x14 brimar 14k dump trailer. What would y'all use?

#7 ·
I use heavy EOH when towing my fifth wheel because I have 6 electric hydraulic disc brakes, and light electric when towing my 16 foot flat bed trailer with the quads/dirt bike on it. I like being able to set each and just quickly select the one I need on the touch screen.

#8 ·
Towing our 5th wheel, 15,000lbs. loaded, I use heavy electric. The gain is set on 6. I'm satisfied with it set there. Every truck/trailer combo will be different.

#9 ·
8500# trailer, dual 5200# axles, 12" brakes, I use the Light trailer and a setting of about 5.

I imagine a 14,000# dump trailer you would need more, especially when loaded.
So perhaps would start with Heavy trailer and see how that works.

#10 ·
Let me throw this out here.... I had been running it on Heavy. My 5th wheel just never seemed to have the best brakes so this year I ended up replacing the entire brake assemblies on my camper. Hook it up yesterday and took it for a spin... Same result. Poor braking.

So I checked the voltage at a brake. Just above 6 volts. I checked the voltage at my panel where the harness comes to the camper. Same voltage. So then I checked the other trailer connection directly off of my truck. Still about 6 volts????

I finally changed the mode from Heavy to Light... Now I have the 12 volts I expected. What the hell??? I would expect more volts in Heavy mode vs Light.

Would someone be able to verify my findings?

#12 ·
I have been towing a clients 16' Wells Cargo tandem around basically empty. I can't imagine the empty trailer is more than 2000 lbs. my truck won't lock up the trailer wheels at 10 on heavy electric. Next time I'll try the light electric and see if it does.

#13 ·
It does work better for me. Still does not grab as much as I would like, but at least now the camper squats and pulls when I pull the lever.

I got the 12v by having my son in the cab pulling to lever to 100%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.