Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel to Cummins?

14K views 75 replies 29 participants last post by  skunkskunk 
#1 ·
Hey!
I've been a very happy owner of a 2015 Ram 1500 Limited with the EcoDiesel. I really love the truck but the allure of 900 ft-lbs seems to be getting to me lately. I was able to purchase my 1500 through my employer at a significant discount and I am eligible for the same deal again on a newer truck (2016 3500 Limited). The dealer is giving me what I paid for the truck and I would be reducing my term as well at my interest rate (0%). Just looking for opinions as to whether or not the 1 ton diesels make decent daily drivers. As of right now, I have no towing requirements and as such I know this truck would be considered overkill but I don't mind the noise and rougher ride. Any insight into maintenance or economy is appreciated! I have searched but I'm finding it difficult to find reviews for daily driven rigs although there is a lot of info for guys looking to tow with the 1 tons (obviously). Anyways, thanks in advance!

Trevor

#2 ·
You seem to have an OK grasp on the differences.

Stiffer frame, probably a much rougher ride.
Bigger engine, probably lose 5-10 mpg highway.
Maintenance probably won't be that much more expensive.

Go test drive the exact truck you would think about buying and see if you like it/see if you think you'd be ok driving it indefinitely. If you have the itch it will probably only get worse. Might as well scratch it while you can still do good on trade.

#3 ·
Thanks Venkman,

Alot of this purchase is coming from a whole lot of want and not very much need. The idea would be to buy a truck that I would likely never outgrow, at least that is how I'm selling it to the girlfriend haha. I'm a huge fan of about everything with a motor so the bigger, louder engine is a plus in my book. I realize the fuel economy would be worse but I would like to avoid getting into a situation that I was in with my 2008 Denali, that thing got 12mpg and required premium (1.55/L at the time!). The EcoDiesel is quite pricey to maintain, especially since I tend to overdo it in that department (like two oil changes in 10000kms), so I don't think that the Cummins would be as bad, as you said.

How does the front end hold up on these newer trucks? Id assume street driving would prolong the life of the ball joints, etc. I remember doing a lot of ball joints and tie rod ends on the older trucks with I was working in Northern BC.

#4 ·
Literally the only thing I haul in my 15 2500 is :bart:
:stirpot:

I bought mine because I had the means to do so and it was my dream truck so I figured I had better do it while the money is still here. I do have plans eventually to start towing with it but it won't be for a very long time.

I also make sure to keep my tow mirrors up so the girls have somewhere to hang panties to dry.... :grin2: :stirpot:

#5 ·
If you're dealer is giving you what you paid for the truck (assuming you're not counting price after a down payment), than you are paying close to MSRP on the 3500 I'm guessing? Or you have found the deal of a lifetime and I'm jealous. If I could sell/trade my 2500 for what I paid I would either trade-up to a Longhorn/Limited or get an F250.

Please share how/where you are getting this offer, and if there is a specific way to approach the dealer pm me please.

Thanks.

#8 ·
I agree completely. I love diesels and would be more than happy with a 1500 eco limited if i didn't tow my dads fifth wheel and our 23' boat. I like the cummins and have had one my entire life, other than the year and a half i thought the 6.4 hemi would be good since my dad bought a smaller fifth wheel. It was a bad idea for me, didn't like how it towed the boat or fifth wheel, so I went back to the cummins. I would have an eco diesel, or a 5.7 hemi in a half ton for sure if I didn't tow anything.

#11 ·
Life is about getting what you want when you can. If Need happens to be a by- product , then double score. It seems like you are in a unique position, in that you have a great deal both sides of the trade. As mentioned above, Pick the truck that excites you the most, test drive it to ensure it fits your wants and get it. The resale on the cummins is great , especially if you are getting it through a deal at work , and hopefully you will be able to sell it for what you paid when you do. I ride a 2015 4x4 dually as my workhorse and daily driver. I would not ride anything else.
Good luck with your outcome.

#12 ·
Hi Trevor. I've driven the ecodiesel as well as my daily driven 3500. The HD trucks feel way more "solid". In your shoes I would consider the 2500 as the rear coil springs will ride much better than the 3500s leaf packs. As others have said, go test drive one.

There is also a BC chapter "roll call" going on in the BC forum. Head over there and introduce yourself!
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/british-columbia/2011602-bc-chapter-roll-call.html

#39 ·
Hi Trevor. I've driven the ecodiesel as well as my daily driven 3500. The HD trucks feel way more "solid". In your shoes I would consider the 2500 as the rear coil springs will ride much better than the 3500s leaf packs. As others have said, go test drive one.

There is also a BC chapter "roll call" going on in the BC forum. Head over there and introduce yourself!
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/british-columbia/2011602-bc-chapter-roll-call.html
The only reason why the coil springs would ride "much better" is the 3500 is a 1 ton vehicle and the 2500 is a 3/4 ton vehicle. The coil springs don't change the ride over a leaf spring setup in the slightest (that I've noticed) when comparing a 2500 to a 2500.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the good info! The work deal is pretty nice, I'd probably be driving my old Denali if I didn't get a better price on a new vehicle. The Dealer let me take a 3500 SLT home for a couple days and I loved it! That being said, its possible I was in the honeymoon stage of driving it, who knows how I'd feel about it a few months down the road. The Eco is such a nice package...If I was going from the Denali to the 3500, it would be a no brainer, I just don't want to have any regrets but I can't think of anything I would dislike. With work discounts and FCA incentives and the excellent trade value I'm getting, it just seems like a good time to switch if I am even considering it. I hate to say it but I don't think id have any trouble getting out of a 3500 Limited down the road if It somehow was not the truck I thought it was, in fact the General Manager has assured me that he would trade me into a new EcoDiesel no problem haha...of course.

#14 ·
Redthies

I was actually looking for a 2500 as I preferred the rear suspension design but its near impossible to find one! There seems to be quite a few 2500 Power Wagons out there but very few in Limited trim with the Cummins. Also, I would get hit with luxury tax on the 2500 so if figured Id just put that cash into a truck "upgrade" if you could call it that. I don't plan on selling any new vehicle that i buy but I don't have such a great track record for keeping them haha so resale is important and I'm told there is more value in the 3500 at trade in/resale time.

#15 ·
When I made the mistake I going to a half ton I drove an EcoDiesel it was very disappointing. I found the Hemi to be better drivability wise and bought one. Either way it was a mistake so I went back to a 2500 CTD.

With the deal you describe this seems like a no brainer to me.

#16 ·
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The Manager just called to see where I am at with everything. Apparently I' paying $8000ish difference for the 3500. Id have to check the paperwork but that seems pretty good to me!

#24 ·
That's what I was originally looking for but they are apparently hard to find on the lots. I was told that most dealers bring in 1 2500 diesel for every 15-20 3500 diesel. Problem is today is the last day for incentives and I cant say Ive ever seen 0% financing and the "free" Cummins upgrade at the same time apparently there is not alot of supply (trucks) right now so FCA is running some nice promos. Id also like the go with the Aisin transmission, which is only available on the 3500.

#20 · (Edited)
The big difference in my opinion is you notice bumps a lot more. Frost heaves, pot holes, speed bumps, some highways. My Ram 2500 rides much better then my 2005 GMC 2500 Duramax. That I needed a kidney belt when the frost heaves were present. In any case, you will most likely need steps to get in truck. They are high and the shark on top means I can't get mine in the garage. You can always go back if you don't like it.

#25 ·
The 3500 Limited I took out was pretty nice in terms of ride but its definitely no 1500. That being said I cant say I was all that bothered by it. Most of my driving is in the city and the roads around where I live are pretty good.

#31 ·
I hope you're wrong but I fear you're right.

#28 ·
I forgot about our luxury tax on 2500s. I only buy 3500s as I need the payload. A set of Thuren coils and some Bilsteins 5100s will make the 3500 way nicer to drive. I waited a over year to do mine and I can't believe I drove it without. It's so much better now!

#29 ·
Ill have to look into the shocks and springs, the girlfriend did mention that the truck felt "bouncier" than the 1500 haha. I also heard something about pulling a leaf out of the rear pack so make the back end a bit more compliant.

#40 ·
Coil springs can have a progressive spring rate, let's say the first 1/2" takes 1000 lbs the next 1/2 can take 2000lbs leaf springs will have the same rate until you reach a over load, if you have one, my 2014 is way smother than my leaf sprung 2010.

#42 ·
Yeah, you're a hater. It's clear every time you post about the EcoD.

But then again, your posts are chock full of misspellings so realistically how seriously can we take you?:grin2:

#49 ·
I owned an Ecodiesel since they were put on the market. Supported and defended it at the beginning. See signature. I'm not a hater but definitely would not advice anyone to buy one or at the very least let them know the potential problems they could encounter.

#43 ·
Well, looks like I'm the new owner of a 2016 Granite Crystal 3500 Limited! Should be here in a week or two, at least that what they tell me. Until then, I get to roll around in a Dodge Journey loaner! Yay! Haha. Thanks for all the info everyone!

#52 ·
:grin2::grin2::grin2: Congratulations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.