Anyone have issues with the GPS speed limit warning announcement? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Anyone have issues with the GPS speed limit warning announcement?

I call her "Betty"...The GPS system"voice" that says "The speed limit is 65 miles per hour."
Well, I don't dislike using it. It has slowed me down several times when I haven't been paying attention to the posted speed limit like I should be. I seldom speed. I can't afford the tickets and the insurance bump, so I usually only fudge the limit by a couple mph or so.
The issue is for me, I have set the warning announcement to occur at 8 mph over. Very often, the announcement happens at 5 over. On the freeway, 5 over is safe and outside the "ticket threshold". So why is this thing announcing at 5 mph over, when I have verified that I have it set at 8 mph over?

Last edited by MoparProud; 10-29-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
I call her "Betty"...The GPS system"voice" that says "The speed limit is 65 miles per hour."
Well, I don't dislike using it. It has slowed me down several times when I haven't been paying attention to the posted speed limit like I should be. I seldom speed. I can't afford the tickets and the insurance bump, so I usually only fudge the limit by a couple mph or so.
The issue is for me, I have set the warning announcement to occur at 8 mph over. Very often, the announcement happens at 5 over. On the freeway, 5 over is safe and outside the "ticket threshold". So why is this thing announcing at 5 mph over, when I have verified that I have it set at 8 mph over?
I haven't had the factory nav yet but on my aftermarket nav in my current truck, the setting goes by a percentage of the speed above the limit instead of a particular speed above the limit.

Have you tried setting it higher and see what it does?

Last edited by MoparProud; 10-29-2014 at 06:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Diesel Head

I had it on for the first 1500 or so miles, then I got read of it, couldn't stand her any longer.

'14 MC 3500 4x4 G56 Laramie Bright White Mostly Stock. B&W 1314 & Firestone 2560 airbags

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Diesel Freak

I never intentionally speed.

But for that oops moment, we have ours set for 11 over.

She has talked to us twice in 13 months!

'17 2500 6.4L Laramie Mega 4x4 3.73 SAP
Previous '14 3500 CTD Longhorn Mega 4x4 Aisin <> '13 3500 CTD SLT CCLB 4x4 68RFE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
The speed warning is based off of the GPS speed, which is different than the speedometer. I'm guessing the GPS just incorrectly estimates the speed based off of the satellite position sometimes. I have 35's on my truck, so the GPS speed and speedometer reading are always different.

2013 2500 - 20" HELO 835 w/ 35 x 12.5 Toyo R/T's - 2" HBS Level - RaceME Ultra - AFE Intake
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Cummins Fan

Betty is based on the GPS speed that it is sensing, not the speedometer speed. You speedometer may be off by a few MPH( possibly due to tire size difference from factory size), Dealer said Chrysler is only required to be within a 10% window of accuracy on the speedometer from the factory.

I had this issue when I first lifted my truck. Tires were larger than stock, so rotating less rpm's that calibrated for, speedometer was showing slower than my GPS speed and what I was actually going.

Had dealer attempt to calibrate for tire size, but they set the tires too big and I was then getting more RPM's than it was calibrated for. Speedometer was reading faster than GPS and what I was actually going.

Bought the Hypertech and set my calibration for the correct size now my Speedo, GPS speed and "Betty" are all in Harmony. My 35" Toyo MT's are actually around 34.1 inches, the Hypertech lets you adjust in .25" increments.

Hope that makes sense.

2014 2500 Mega Cab 6.7
3" Pure Performance X Factor, Amp Steps, 20x9 Fuel Krank, 35" Toyo MT, Vortex Liner, Dual Fox Stabilizer, Steering Brace
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Cummins Nut

I've never seen (or heard) this. Where do you set it? Thanks Ken Irwin

13 3500 CC Laramie Dually Aisin 4.10s 8,820 Lbs empty, new 8-12-13, 98 gal Transfer Flow, 12KW Onan QD, Centramatics. 2008 Holiday Rambler 32 FKD TT 13K lbs. Sold 03 White SLT QC dually, HO, NV5600, 4X4, B-D brake, Mag-Hytec cover, Deluxe Brite Box, TST PMCR, fuel tank vent bomb, 86K miles. 1985 Ramcharger Cummins conversion
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Diesel Freak

Generally speaking, GPS derived vehicle speed is more accurate and reliable than the truck's speedometer.

How accurate is a GPS-based speedometer? | GPS Systems

'17 2500 6.4L Laramie Mega 4x4 3.73 SAP
Previous '14 3500 CTD Longhorn Mega 4x4 Aisin <> '13 3500 CTD SLT CCLB 4x4 68RFE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Just make note of the offset in speed and put in a number that will give the warning at the speed you want.

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn w/Ram Boxes, Mopar splash guards, stock.
2006 29' Sunnybrook Travel Trailer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
I call her "Betty"...
Now that's funny - I thought I was the only one who called her Betty. For those that don't know the context of calling an automated female warning voice "Betty," google B**ching Betty and check out the Wikipedia link (the forum won't let me post the link because of the naughty word in the URL).

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SRW 4x4 SB Cummins/Aisin, LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
2017 Bighorn 3585RL Fifth Wheel Camper, Mor/Ryde pinbox, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Hitch
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 01:21 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Now that's funny - I thought I was the only one who called her Betty. For those that don't know the context of calling an automated female warning voice "Betty," google B**ching Betty and check out the Wikipedia link (the forum won't let me post the link because of the naughty word in the URL).
And the powers that be on here will spank you for posting the naughty word here, even with asterisks taking the place of some letters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode