Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Anyone have issues with the GPS speed limit warning announcement?

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Ltngdrvr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I call her "Betty"...The GPS system"voice" that says "The speed limit is 65 miles per hour."
Well, I don't dislike using it. It has slowed me down several times when I haven't been paying attention to the posted speed limit like I should be. I seldom speed. I can't afford the tickets and the insurance bump, so I usually only fudge the limit by a couple mph or so.
The issue is for me, I have set the warning announcement to occur at 8 mph over. Very often, the announcement happens at 5 over. On the freeway, 5 over is safe and outside the "ticket threshold". So why is this thing announcing at 5 mph over, when I have verified that I have it set at 8 mph over?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I haven't had the factory nav yet but on my aftermarket nav in my current truck, the setting goes by a percentage of the speed above the limit instead of a particular speed above the limit.

Have you tried setting it higher and see what it does?

#5 ·
The speed warning is based off of the GPS speed, which is different than the speedometer. I'm guessing the GPS just incorrectly estimates the speed based off of the satellite position sometimes. I have 35's on my truck, so the GPS speed and speedometer reading are always different.

#6 ·
Betty is based on the GPS speed that it is sensing, not the speedometer speed. You speedometer may be off by a few MPH( possibly due to tire size difference from factory size), Dealer said Chrysler is only required to be within a 10% window of accuracy on the speedometer from the factory.

I had this issue when I first lifted my truck. Tires were larger than stock, so rotating less rpm's that calibrated for, speedometer was showing slower than my GPS speed and what I was actually going.

Had dealer attempt to calibrate for tire size, but they set the tires too big and I was then getting more RPM's than it was calibrated for. Speedometer was reading faster than GPS and what I was actually going.

Bought the Hypertech and set my calibration for the correct size now my Speedo, GPS speed and "Betty" are all in Harmony. My 35" Toyo MT's are actually around 34.1 inches, the Hypertech lets you adjust in .25" increments.

Hope that makes sense.

#7 ·
I've never seen (or heard) this. Where do you set it? Thanks Ken Irwin

#10 ·
I call her "Betty"...
Now that's funny - I thought I was the only one who called her Betty. For those that don't know the context of calling an automated female warning voice "Betty," google B**ching Betty and check out the Wikipedia link (the forum won't let me post the link because of the naughty word in the URL).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.