Cummins Diesel Forum banner

46K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Bayouboy81 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a update class today for diesels and found out some infomation on the 2013 dodge. Now before i start, they are 98% precent sure this is all correct but like anything else, Ram can change things up at the last minute. But here it is:

1. The pickup truck engine will be nicknamed "seahawk" and C&C will be nicknamed "Dragon"(i wonder how much the guy gets paid who thinks these names up)
2. The bedplate is a new design to help aid in block strength
3. New oil pan and new pickup tube(the oil pan looks alittle different but not much)
4. Engines will have yet another new dampner with a friction shim behind it
5. New cam with different intake duration and lift
6. Pistons will be coated and have different design bowl
7. Different coolant jets for pistons
8. ALL 2013 vehicles will use new coolant called OAT and is purple
9. Cylinder head is different to help swirl to take place in combustion chamber
10. New turbo that is now programmable
11. Exhaust manifold is now a split design and EGR uses the back 3 cylinders
12. New NOX sensor at turbo
13. Trucks will have a longer wait to start lamp that will last up to 75 seconds instead of 30 seconds
14. Fan pulley is smaller to allow for faster spinning and water pump pulley is smaller
15. The batwing(plate covering the egr tube on front of engine) is new
16. New flex plate
17. New airbox that will have a second door that is opened by a actautor door when the PCM thinks engine needs more fresh air
18. Fuel rail will use 2 sensors for fuel pressure now
19. Fuel filter will be a 3 micron and 10 micron filter now. If u do not install a fuel filter the truck will not start
20. C&C truck injectors are the same as the injectors used in cummins medium duty engine
21. you will be able to reset the oil life thru the EVIC now or use the gas pedal
22. New PCM will be used consisting of 96 wires. Uses new software and new coding so aftermarket guys will prolly have to go back to the drawing board on programming
23. and FINALLY 2500 and 3500 trucks WILL USE DEF

I just figured i would share the infomation with yall. If anyone has any questions i will try to answer as best as possible. I do NOT know what the new HP and TQ ratings will be but they will be higher

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
So, for the guy that uses it for a DD and RV tow rig, is this a better package or did they just beat the bush? That is just leaving the truck stock, deletes will not be allowed with Obamacare.

#4 ·
Tater....Allpar is a horrible thing to base info on:hehe:

In that article alone, there's probably 30 things wrong. Allpar is good for rumors and there's some decent info on older stuff, but as for what is coming.......you might as well link us to the Greenpeace site, it might actually have some useful info

#5 ·
U wouldnt just bash at me would ya......

#6 ·
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. JK. Had to, just had to

#7 ·
It does sound like they are making some major changes, let's hope the entire package improves; more power, more mileage, more reliability. I'd love to be able to purchase a new truck and not have my first thoughts be "damn, I gotta delete this thing".

#9 ·
oh your gonna have to delete if you ever buy any diesel from here on out. Its gonna get worse and worse

#12 ·
Cumminsboy, the new cam and head design sounds like it could be promising. Whats up with the programable turbo. What programing can be done. Thanks

#17 · (Edited)
The biggest reason for the cam and new head design is increase in fuel milage. Now with that being said, it could relate to better power but the reason why we havent gotten any info yet is because the power ratings are still being tested.

On any 6.7l built up to 2012, the actuator on the turbo is a "dumb actuator" which basically means the PCM controls its every move. It can not make decisions on its own. Now these actuators are "smart" which means they are their own control module so the PCM doesnt have to command it and I(techs) can communicate with it instead of going thru the PCM. It will have its own DTCs and I will be able to flash that control module with updates. For the aftermarket world, it could open up to be alot better

I do not know if a manual trans will still be avaiable. As of now, they will still use the same auto trans. I would say a manual trans will still be avaiable but the truck may be de-rated, but dont hold me to it

#18 ·
You say they are going to DEF. This I have read elsewhere also, and probably is true. Do you know if they will drop the diesel fuel dumping in the exhaust stroke to regen go alone with DEF?

#19 ·
They will still have to dump fuel in order to regen. DEF does not take care of the soot, it will only reduce NOX output so not as much egr will be needed. This is probably why they will only take exhaust from the back three cylinders for the egr because they will not need as much.

I recently did a training course on TIER 4 engines in new Cat equipment and it sounds like the new exhaust manifold will be set up like these engines - only use 3 cylinders for egr. The turbo on the new Cat engines has two separate inlets to the turbine housing - one from the back 3 and one from the front 3. Maybe the new cummins is set up like this also.

#20 ·
well i can say 110% they will have DEF. if they didnt, I wouldnt have had to take the class on it and my dealership wouldnt have paid 500 dollars for it lol. GreaseMonkey3406, you are correct. the manifold on the 2013 will be the same as the Cat engines.

The DEF is entered into the exhaust after the DPF so the truck will still need to regen

#24 ·
The new 2013 sounds promising. Mite have to trade and try one out.

Reactions: misfitracer25
#26 ·
I have a few concerns. I bought my truck in 2007.5 right when the 6.7L came out. I had to wait like 2 years before aftermarket caught up and i could buy a good tuner and exhaust and have zero codes etc. I've always said to myself that i have to trade my truck in and get a new one before they start adding DEF and more sensors etc.. Is this the case right now? I've been thinking about getting a new truck for awhile now.. Should I hurry up and buy a 2012 or wait till next year and hope the bugs will be worked out? Unless having those changes and def wont be a problem for deleting.. And I ABSOLUTLEY need a manual trans, So can someone confirm that they're available for 2013??

#28 ·
well like i said 2013 will have new PCMs so prolly the tuners avaiable now will not work so H&S and others will have to go back to the drawing board. Theres been no talk of getting rid of manual trans, but a manual truck will prolly have a lower HP and TQ rating like they do now.

#31 ·
These seem to be getting more and more complicated. That's fine as long as everything works as it should. My 03 is like a Timex. What are the odds of the 13's going for 10 years with nothing going wrong? All truicks are great new, but put them out there in real world conditions for several years and see how all that electronic controlled everything holds up.

#33 ·
Under the "Full Disclosure" act, Cat 1693, and 3406 are my motors of choice. Yeah I prefer them even over our beloved cummins with all due respect. The cat motors are some what large for pick-up's. It would take a leveling kit. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.