Newb towing question. - Page 6 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2010-2012 General Discussion
2010-2012 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #61 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I feel very very sad there is SO MUCH information that is wrong here still. There is still a lot of confusion here. Understand that every state has different laws, but I am going by my state. We all know the magic number is 26,000 lbs that would require a CDL. But! That is if you engage in business. Another words if I am driving for a company and getting paid and under 26k lbs, I am ok with a standard DL, and if my company put me in a new bigger truck over 26k lbs I would need a CDL. People need to understand that they are referring to what makes it commercial use. PERSONAL AND RECREATIONAL vehicles do not fall under that category at least in my state of Florida. Straight from the Florida website you will see this also written below.

Florida

Commercial Driver Licenses

Class A: Commercial motor vehicles - trucks or truck combinations weighing with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 lbs.

Class B: Commercial motor vehicles - straight trucks weighing 26,001 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or more.

Class C: Vehicles transporting placardable amounts of hazardous materials, or vehicles designed to transport more than 15 persons including the driver with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of less than 26,001 lbs.

Non-Commercial Driver Licenses

Class E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E license.

CDL Exemptions

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational or personal purposes; or
Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
An employee of a publicly owned transit system who is limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system's property.

ALSO- From the Floirda Highway Patrol

FHP - CVE/Recreational Vehicles

Recreational Vehicles

Florida statutes require that non commercial vehicle combinations consist of no more than two units and such combinations may not exceed a total length of 65 feet. F.S. 316.515(3)

Drivers of recreational vehicles are exempt from the requirement to obtain a commercial drivers license. F.S. 322.53(2) (d)

Florida statutes are available at: http://www.leg.state.fl.us

Maximum length diagram
65' maximum length

Florida statute limits the overall length of a 'motor home' to 45 feet exclusive of bumpers and safety devices. F.S. 316.515 (15)

Florida statute limits the length of a 'private motor coach' to 50 feet, exclusive of safety devices. 316.515 (9) In combination, the vehicles' overall length cannot exceed 65 feet and only one trailer can be towed. 316.515(3)

Florida statute limits the length of a' travel trailer' to no more than 40 feet. 320.01 (1)(b)1

Florida statutes allow only one trailer to be towed. 316.515(3)

------------

ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considerations
Florida statutes state that vehicles used occasionally to transport personal property to "a closed-course motorsport facility" and are not used for profit or in conjunction with a corporate sponsorship are exempt from classification as a commercial vehicle

-----------

This has and will always be a very indirect definition. Please UNDERSTAND I see where you guys are getting your information from. I understand the law states that you need a CDL for something over 26k lbs. BUT! UNDERSTAND they are referring to vehicles for commercial use when they say that and private use vehicles are usually exempt. At least in my state which I know the law for. It is sad to see people spreading incorrect information. I understand people think I am wrong, but I am not for the state of Florida at least. Look at all my information, and even a call to the Florida Highway Patrol will confirm everything I said.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #62 (permalink)
Wont playwell with others

Thanked 2,607 Times in 1,793 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I understand what your saying as far as different states rules. The classification as a rv from what has been discussed in the tow/ haul section is that it has to have a bathroom and sleeping quarters to be a rv. As far as the race car thing, i dont race but dont ya'll win money with them? See texas has a non cdl A and B for personal stuff...That is why 28 is the magic number for a class A but not all class A stuff falls under commercial.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #63 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage View Post
I understand what your saying as far as different states rules. The classification as a rv from what has been discussed in the tow/ haul section is that it has to have a bathroom and sleeping quarters to be a rv. As far as the race car thing, i dont race but dont ya'll win money with them? See texas has a non cdl A and B for personal stuff...That is why 28 is the magic number for a class A but not all class A stuff falls under commercial.
Yes, I know they define it usually for it to have living quarters. People around here label there large heavy enclosed car haulers either "not for hire" "Private Carrier" people will even put "private - recreational vehicle" for this reason. Florida DOT only cares about commercial use trucks and trailers. Even large horse trailers will say the same a lot. Every state is different. I never should have bothered to even respond since I do not know the laws in Alaska.

As far as racing, I do what is called "club racing" there is no money to be won. Just bragging rights and a trophy maybe. Most events are just to practice anyway. However yes, other people can race and win money.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #64 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Called local DOT today.

I DO NOT have to have a CDL to tow my operation. Even though its GVWR is over 26k, it does not matter as long as I am not making money off of the operation. Our drag racing operation is qualified as a "recreational hobby" and not commercial.

None the less, I filed all my paperwork for my class. Dec 2-20 and then I'll own a CDL.
welsh907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to welsh907 For This Useful Post:
JohnMurphyRN (10-16-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #65 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Man everyone got quiet. Lol.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #66 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Any particular reason you are getting the CDL?

sent from a van down by the river
Old 10-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #67 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Trying to start a career in driving truck. Like I posted above, wether or not I needed a CDL to tow my race set up was the verdict as to wether I went to school next fall or this winter. Regardless now, I'm going to get my CDL in December and try and start a career path in truck driving.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #68 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Good luck with school then. I assumed that was your plan but sometimes people do stuff for fun.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #69 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred450 View Post
Good luck with school then. I assumed that was your plan but sometimes people do stuff for fun.

This three week school is $6,000

I wish I could toss that kind of money around "just for fun"
Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #70 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Saw plenty of guys go through my emt and firefighter academy which is almost as much. Few of them finished the whole thing and didn't apply for their commission.

You do have a couple race cars so it looks like you have some disposable income. Was it not a valid question?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #71 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Race cars have been a long long long term project.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #72 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Good luck with the new career.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.