Extended Warranty - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2010-2012 General Discussion
2010-2012 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Extended Warranty

Picked up my new 2012 Crew Cab Longhorn up today. The finance guy was trying to talk me into an extended warranty deal, six years for $3190 and 7 years for $3405. I said I would think about it. My first inclination is to say "no thanks". Has anyone purchased extended warranty? Any real life experiences that you would like to share.
kenp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

That would mean keeping the same truck for 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenp View Post
Picked up my new 2012 Crew Cab Longhorn up today. The finance guy was trying to talk me into an extended warranty deal, six years for $3190 and 7 years for $3405. I said I would think about it. My first inclination is to say "no thanks". Has anyone purchased extended warranty? Any real life experiences that you would like to share.
2011.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie SRW 4x4 Cummins 800 H.O. 4:10 L/S, Crew cab 6.4 bed. 275x65/20 GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac's, Cruiser Alloy Switchblade's
DaddyRabbit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

1. Extended warranties on the back-end of a car sale are LOADED with mark-up.

2. Dealer-sold extended warranties are not always factory programs and can be as worthless as the paper they are written on.

3. Buying an extended warranty up-front is foolish. You're paying for it years before you can even use it.

4. If you just HAVE TO HAVE IT, you can get the manufacturer's extended warranty direct from the manufacturer up to the point that your factory warranty will expire, often at a much deeper discount and without dealer mark-up.

5. The only extended warranties that MAY have a benefit are factory warranties that extend the overall MILEAGE coverage, not years. Most warranty items on vehicles, especially those that are high-dollar items, are mileage related, not time related. The hard mechanical parts in a car don't have access to a calendar.

They are RARELY worth the money and RARELY get used to the point that you will recoup your expenditure. With the time-value of money, the copay per visit and the fact that you typically have to have documentation demonstrating you are following the manufacturer's recommended services often leaves you well out of pocket for excessive maintenance or find that the warranty coverage is not honored because of lack of maintenance.

Last edited by M Penwald; 04-21-2012 at 11:38 PM.
M Penwald is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Seems kind of high. Got mine for $2400 7yr 100,000mi and they through in free oil changes for 98,000mi. There is defiantly room to negotiate.
Linetrash55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I have a extended warranty on my truck and I also have a extended warranty on my wife's Journey. I have already recouped the money on what I spent on my wife's Journey do to it being over the normal bumper to bumper coverage. I only have 19,000 miles on my truck right now and since I haven't had a single problem with it I am going to cancel it when I get home from my current deployment. I think they are a good thing if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long period of time. Also I got my extended warranty from Dodge(Mopar backed) for $2000 which cover's my truck for bumper to bumper 70,000 or 10 yrs.

2013 Ford Fusion w/ecoboost (Sold)
2010 3500, CCLB/SRW, (Sold)
2004.5 Chevrolet 3500 CCLB/DRW 6.6 (Sold)

"A soldier doesn't fight because he hates what is in front of him. A soldier fights because he loves what he left behind."
2010CumminsSRW is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

If you want one you need to buy it online, many dealers sell the Chrysler warranty online with little markup. You don't have to buy it where you bought the truck.

I just paid $1400 for a 6yr/100k MaxCare for my 2012, which is the best warranty they have....
wallacemf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Mine was $700.00 to cover up to 100k.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I purchased the chrysler max care warenty on my 2012, 6yr/100k bumper to bumper for $900 even. I also purchased it on my 2012 grand cherokee for $900, the dealer told me they did not mark it up and offered it at a discount since I purchased it when I got the vehicles.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Air Force Vet

I got a 7-year 100,000 extended warranty through Dodge for $1650. The RAM website has the different extended warranties listed along with the costs. You can call the phone number and buy from them.
2008 Mercedes Diesel GL 320 CDI (my wife's car)
Civil and Structural Engineer
Totally Stock and Love it!

GSM24 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

If you can get one I recommend it if you plan on keeping your truck a long period of time and like the dealership that you will utilize to make repairs. I had one on my 2006, and it paid for itself twice. Injector, Bearings, GPS, U-joints, Pitman, etc.....

Dealership showed me a report prior to buying my 2012 (Same Dealership) so I had a history of repairs. I did some quick calculations and if I paid dealer labor with parts values marked on this report (with normal dealership mark-up) it would have cost me about $8,000.00

I asked for this report a few months before ordering my new truck. I normally keep trucks until they piss me off, something comes out that is too cool not to buy, or 150K miles.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

the price quoted to you is very high. i paid $2400 (CND dollars) for 72 month 120,000km gold plus plan on my truck.

purchasing an extended warranty is like buying an insurance policy, you are protecting yourself from future debts of repair bills

my main reason for going with the extended warranty on my truck is the electronics. these drive trains are solid, but looking at nav screens, rear camera's, power switches (doors and windows) heated steering wheel and heated and cooled seats, there's no fricking way i would even know where to start in trying to fix any of those. the part price itself could be on the lower end, but it's the labour that kills you.

so in making your decision to purchase extended warranty you have to ask yourself, that if any of the above listed items should fail on you, are you prepared to a) fix it yourself, b) pay a dealer out of pocket to fix it, c) take your truck in on full warranty and have them cover the cost of the repair, or d) live with that part being broken cuz you can't budget in the added expense of fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEERPLAY
I SHIPPED A HUGE LOAD TO YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS NOT LONG AGO KITTY
Kitty 3500 HD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.