Strong smell of Diesel? Cause? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2010-2012 General Discussion
2010-2012 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Strong smell of Diesel? Cause?

I am starting to periodically get a strong smell of diesel in my cab. Almost unbearable. It almost smells like lighter fluid on charcoal coals. Could this be from it doing a regen? Why would it be so strong in the cab? How can you tell if it is performing a regen?
rjelliott is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

ditto

I've had the same smell before and wondered the same thing. Waiting for replies.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

You guys could have a exhaust leak. I would bring it in and see if warranty will take a look for free. If not look under truck for any black spots on exhaust that would be a sign of a leak.

Also, you will not know when its in regen. The only way most will know is a pyrometer and they watch EGT's go high.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The smell takes place during regen, seems to be normal and my 08 did the same thing. If your driving down the road, most of the time you cant smell it. If you come to a stop during regen the smell gets in the cab. If this is what you have come across its regen.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've only had the smell in the cab twice in the last six months, both were while moving at highway speeds only lasted a few minutes and then began to reside. So I don't think it's an exhaust leak. (Sorry to the OP not trying to highjack)
Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

its regeneration. not really much to do about it
cumminsfromhell is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Well.....there is something you can do about it, but it involves a call to Rollin' Smoke Diesel.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Mine smells like an old dumptruck most all the time, from not having any filters. If you still have the stock exhaust, then more than likely a regen. If you are deleted, as I am, the 6.7 Has a "raw diesel" smell to it all the time. So strong sometimes, it feels like it burns your nostrils............................
airtech22 (11-15-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I smelled that the last time the service tech changed the fuel filter. I suspect he drained the old filter onto the front suspension. Took several days for the odor to go away.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2wheels View Post
I smelled that the last time the service tech changed the fuel filter. I suspect he drained the old filter onto the front suspension. Took several days for the odor to go away.

Same here, he must've dumped it all over the underside of the truck.

The diesel smell in the cab I used to get now and then when my truck was newer, mostly in town and stopped at a light. Haven't noticed it for several months now.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am currently dealing with Dodge on this very issue. I recommend calling the Dodge service number and making a claim. They have told me no one else has mentioned a problem with "lighter fluid" smell in the cab. The problem being intermittent has made it difficult to duplicate for the dealer. Dodge has told me I am SOL. I think it is completely unacceptable to take that stance when obviously byproducts of combustion are being introduced into that passenger cabin. Because they can't duplicate it doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I assure you the smell is not residual fuel spilled when changing your fuel filter. PM me if you want further info and the phone number to Dodge.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsFF View Post
I am currently dealing with Dodge on this very issue. I recommend calling the Dodge service number and making a claim. They have told me no one else has mentioned a problem with "lighter fluid" smell in the cab. The problem being intermittent has made it difficult to duplicate for the dealer. Dodge has told me I am SOL. I think it is completely unacceptable to take that stance when obviously byproducts of combustion are being introduced into that passenger cabin. Because they can't duplicate it doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I assure you the smell is not residual fuel spilled when changing your fuel filter. PM me if you want further info and the phone number to Dodge.
Have the dealer force a regin with the air blowing into the cab, not recirculate. They will sure smell it then..
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.