Uconnect wifi - how do you like it? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2010-2012 General Discussion
2010-2012 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Uconnect wifi - how do you like it?

I have just bought a 2011 Ram and it's go the uconnect.... I want to use it for the wifi hotspot - I was curious how well it works? I haul across country and was wanting to know how well it works... Pros/cons?
Thanks! Jason
tomanyfieros is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
E5B
Cummins Fanatic

Was also wondering about this. Is the hardware for this option already installed on vehicles with the 430 nav?
2011 3500 Mega Laramie / SRW / 3:73 / 4x4 / S&B CAI / EGR & DPF delete / Ranch Hand Full replacement front and rear bumpers / NFAB 3-step nerfs / FS2500 engine oil bypass / FS2500 68RFE oil bypass / AFE oversized 68RFE pan / Mini-Max with OD / 4" Flo Pro TBE w/muffler / ADII 165 w/ Aligator sump kit / Titan 52 gal replacement tank / GDP open breather kit / Marathon Seat covers in the back (for the kids) / Nitto Terra Graps 305 70 17
2012 Keystone Outback 312BH
2011 Volkswagon Sportwagon TDI (mineral gray just like the Mega)
E5B is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Two different things

I think you maybe thinking of 2 different things.

1. U-connect phone , the phone button, on your truck is for you to use your phone thru your radio, and for you to give voice commands to the radio. It connects to your phone via Bluetooth, and you can stream music from your phone to the radio. It is not used as an internet hotspot.

2. You can purchase U-connect web for your vehicle that is an internet hotspot. It's a small box that you can tie directly into your truck, or you can do like we did here and splice a cigar lighter end into it and move it from vehicle to vehicle. It works off of cell towers, it's not the fastest but, works well. As long as you have cell reception you can get on the net.

I've got the U-connect phone in my truck and love it. You will want to check ramtrucks.com to verify your phone is compatible with the system. Hope this helps.

Robert
stevewhiteparts is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E5B View Post
Was also wondering about this. Is the hardware for this option already installed on vehicles with the 430 nav?
To check if you have it press the button that looks like a phone. Your truck will speak to you if it does. If it does not, you will get a message on the screen telling you it's not installed.

If it doesn't have it on you can add it to the vehcile, it's more than just hardware download. There is a hands free module and wiring that will need to be installed and new software installed by dealer.

If you would like a quote just PM me I'll be more than happy to help.
Thanks
Robert
stevewhiteparts is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
This is off topic a bit, and sorry for the hijack. Why wont my Ipod touch work with my 11' when plugged into the port in the glovebox. Does this cable have to be specific to your vehicle, I am just using the normal white ipod cable. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I have the uConnect Wi-Fi. It's actually run by:

Home > Autonet Mobile

They operate other manufactures as well.

Customer service is hookie at best. For some reason every other month I get a phone call saying my credit card does not work. I give them the card number that I signed up with and that works. I think the problem lies in the data it has posted on it's back end.

I think it's recycled AT&T service. I signed up for the 5 GB service @ 60.00 a month. Once you hit the 5GB it just slows down vs. getting wacked for another GB at a time. There is a year service requirement vs 2 with the national carriers.

It's hooked up on the accessory side of the ignition switch. It takes a few minutes after you are up and going for it to be fully operational. I did the install myself. The local shop wanted 650.00 for the unit and install. I got mine off eBay for a 150.00 and installed it myself. I think there are two versions out, I got the latest one. I think all the carriers offer some sort of Wi-Fi device as well. Verizon seems to be the best carrier here in the DC area.

It's mounted behind the right side seat behind the subwoofer. I used velcro vs. screwing it into the body of the truck. You can get into the router and give it a unique SSID and also a guest password set up like your home router. I would strongly recommend a locked SSID to keep the cheese dogs from using what you pay for.

I also got a second adapter and mounted it my other vehicle so I can use it there as well.
CBR Dude is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rollin Smoke Diesel.com

Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,034 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
I have the u-connect wifi on my '11 and the wifes Durango. I had the dealer install them and it works very well. I paid a little under $700 for the year, no issues so far.

James
RSD

Enter code RSD at shopping cart to see if your order qualifies for a discount

2011 Dodge Cummins 6.7
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Rollin Smoke Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

How good is service to stream movies off netflix? We use the phone as a hotspot but the service is not very good.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you do the UConnect Wi-Fi deal it's through an outfit in CA.

Home > Autonet Mobile is who is behind the service.

It's only 3G service and may revert lower if 3G is not available.

I signed up the the year and they bill you one month in advance. You can do month to month but the fee is higher too. I opted for the 5GB per month. I also bought a second mouting kit to use it in my other vehicle. I had it mounted under the rear seat of the dually using velcro vs. punching holes. I did the install myself.

I asked who they were reselling the service for (Verizon, AT&T, ect...) and never got a straight answer. Customer Service is very lame. Same person who answers the phone is the tech, customer service, ect... That may have changed in the past year?

I've since sold the dually and removed the router and use a Verizon Hot Spot which is hands down much better and works off of 4G/LTE and dumbs down to 3G where 4G/LTE service is not available. This is more portable and is battery powered so it's not teathered via a power cord like the AutoNet divise requires. It uses the standard micro usb plug found on many cell phones or charges via a wall plug as well.

Both divises you can set you're own SSID and password or keep the factory setting it's all a preference thing. I changed mine on both devises.

Scott
CBR Dude is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR Dude For This Useful Post:
Xterminator gt (06-03-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tried to connect on my rer radio and droid but did not work only time the aux is available is when the phone is plugged in with the phone jack does this option not work on the rer radio
Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry wrong thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.