Remove particulate filter? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2010-2012 General Discussion
2010-2012 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Remove particulate filter?

Unhappy with fuel economy on my 2010 cummins deisel.
Someone said to check out removing particulate filter?
Anybody had this done?
Brad Moore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
f7u12

you need a programmer or simms to remove the DPF.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Glad to have you on the forum!

Search DPF delete. That topic alone will give you plenty of material to get you started and give you a good feel for what's involved.
Kable is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Most people that are doing this and used to seeing a nice gain in mpg's on pre' 10 trucks, are just not seeing any noticeable gain after deleting/tuning. In my opinion, it is not worth the loss of the warranty for a 1mpg gain in mileage.

What are you getting for mileage now?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsledder View Post
Most people that are doing this and used to seeing a nice gain in mpg's on pre' 10 trucks, are just not seeing any noticeable gain after deleting/tuning. In my opinion, it is not worth the loss of the warranty for a 1mpg gain in mileage.

About 15 to 16 avg, up to 18hwy if I drive below 70.
Only get 9 pulling 8500lb travel trailer. Very disappointed in that
Brad Moore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

why are you disapointed with that mileage?...up to 18 on the hwy is good and most guys who are deleted are only getting around 18...your not going to get mid 20s EVER...and your deff not going to get mid teens pulling a 8500lb trailer...some guys may claim it..but its not true...they only lie to themselves...how much do you tow that trailer?...if its only a few times a year then doing deletes wont be worth voiding your warranty for 1-2mpg at most

Its a truck...a big and heavy one...not a carolla or a prius...they arent going to be the best on fuel...just something you have to live with when owning one of these

but I will say your towing mpg does seem a little lower than usual...but unless your towing alot then spending the money on deletes wont be worth it

EDIT--Try unplugging your egr valve...this might help you get a little big better mpgs...some guys have gotten 2 mpg better supposedly...when I unplugged mine I only gained about .5-1 at most but some trucks react different....will also keep your engine cleaner and running longer
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I get 22-24 on Hwy and 17-18 city.

I see about a 4mpg on hwy increase with cruise control set and 3MPG increase in the city

Last edited by ZeroTolerance; 07-22-2011 at 01:15 PM.
ZeroTolerance is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhunter View Post
why are you disapointed with that mileage?...up to 18 on the hwy is good and most guys who are deleted are only getting around 18...your not going to get mid 20s EVER...and your deff not going to get mid teens pulling a 8500lb trailer...some guys may claim it..but its not true...they only lie to themselves...how much do you tow that trailer?...if its only a few times a year then doing deletes wont be worth voiding your warranty for 1-2mpg at most

Its a truck...a big and heavy one...not a carolla or a prius...they arent going to be the best on fuel...just something you have to live with when owning one of these

but I will say your towing mpg does seem a little lower than usual...but unless your towing alot then spending the money on deletes wont be worth it

EDIT--Try unplugging your egr valve...this might help you get a little big better mpgs...some guys have gotten 2 mpg better supposedly...when I unplugged mine I only gained about .5-1 at most but some trucks react different....will also keep your engine cleaner and running longer

While that is a true statement, it was proven with the 5.9 and with the '09 prior 6.7's that these big/heavy trucks can get 20+ mpg. Thanks to the EPA.... we have to buy more fuel to save the environment????

Zero - where did you find the Smarty for your truck? I didn't think they had them out yet for these?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsledder View Post

I disagree Sledder....Though I'm not getting the #s' that Zero is getting, I'm pretty close considering running 35", 3.42s', etc. Whether it be a small gain or not everybody does gain from deleting/tuning. Also, anybody who has had warranty debacles w/dealers on any vehicle they ever bought may see a trip to the dealer as an aggravating visit. I don't know of a dealer in PA that can fix it right the first time or can come up with more excuses not to warranty a vehicle. Though these trucks are so expensive, a warranty makes sense but to me it's not worth it. Add to the that that a deleted/tuned Cummins should last many of miles longer & that is something you cannot put a price on.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The bottom end torque and throttle response makes the DPF delete worth every penny. Add in the tranny tune from H&S and these trucks are fun to drive again.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2kona View Post
I disagree Sledder....Though I'm not getting the #s' that Zero is getting, I'm pretty close considering running 35", 3.42s', etc. Whether it be a small gain or not everybody does gain from deleting/tuning. Also, anybody who has had warranty debacles w/dealers on any vehicle they ever bought may see a trip to the dealer as an aggravating visit. I don't know of a dealer in PA that can fix it right the first time or can come up with more excuses not to warranty a vehicle. Though these trucks are so expensive, a warranty makes sense but to me it's not worth it. Add to the that that a deleted/tuned Cummins should last many of miles longer & that is something you cannot put a price on.
In this great country we are all entitled to our own opinions... still.

But, my point was that on the older 6.7's it made more sense economically to delete/tune than it does on the newer ones for "most" people. When I say most, I refer to those that expect to still have some warranty coverage after doing the deletes when it's being posted on here more and more that warranty is getting thrown out the door when they see the delete's, and not just for the powertrain. So if your okay with the possibility of losing your warranty and not get a substantial gain in mpg's, then by all means, go on the diet. I did it because of the results I saw on my 07 and thought I would get somewhat close with the new one, H&S says the computers are just so different that the tunes would be nothing alike and not to expect the same results, so now I'm trying to be happy with the extra ponies and extended oil drains. The fuel mileage gain on the old one paid for all the mods in less than a year and my trips to the dealer stopped as soon as I did it.
As far as the motor lasting longer, I haven't read about any motor failures on here in the "stock" configuration, there has to be getting some pretty high mileage 07-08's out there in both configurations so it'll be interesting to see if they start dropping like flies because of the DPF/EGR's of if they will last for several hundred thousand miles like Cummins is known for. I think our days of being able to "delete" is numbered anyway, if the gubment keeps on the track it is now it wont be long before we have an EPA agent following UPS around to see where the kits are going.

To the OP.... if your willing to give up your warranty, then I would recommend doing the delete's. You will see a slight increase in mileage but you can save on oil changes if you go the extended drain route like with Amsoil. That brings up another environmental debate.... thanks to the DPF/EGR, not only are we using more fuel but 2-3 times (or more) as much oil as well. I certainly don't have a high enough education to figure that out???
Old 07-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Moore View Post
About 15 to 16 avg, up to 18hwy if I drive below 70.
Only get 9 pulling 8500lb travel trailer. Very disappointed in that
Your mileage sounds better than alot with the 6.7. and is very close to my 5.9Towing MPG looks a tad low, what kind of terrain do you tow in?

With your numbers I certainly wouldnt risk losing the warranty, but thats just me. How many miles do you have on your truck?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.