2010/2011 Dodge Ram vs 2011 Chevy/GMC - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 2010-2012 General Discussion
2010-2012 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2010/2011 Dodge Ram vs 2011 Chevy/GMC

Hello Everyone.

I'm a previous owner of a 2007.5 new body style GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Longbed Crewcab Diesel. I'm in the market for a new truck in the next couple of months. I was looking hard at the new Dodges and my decision was leading very hard towards that direction.
Looking at the information coming out on the new 2011 Chevy/GMC figures has me re-thinking I should wait and possibly pick one of these up instead.

I'm looking for a 3500 currently open to Single or Dual rear Wheels.

Based on my research I'm going to list the pros of each and maybe you guys can help me with me decision.

2010/2011 Dodge Ram
Pros:
I like the exterior styling of the new Dodges more
Cummins Engine what more can you say on durability and serviceability
New Interior Looks real Nice
Rear Interiot more spacious
Price seems more affordable
Solid Axle Stronger more Durable
No DEF/Urea

2011 Chevy/GMC
397 HP/765 Torque
recent duramax's have had good relaibility
17,000 conventional towing 21,700 5th wheel towing
Allisson Transmission
IFS very comfortable and Smooth Ride

Having had a GMC before I was happy and impressed with it but was looking at something new and different (Dodge) however the new Chevy?GMC numbers have me rethinking.

Thanks,

Rich
rich909 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dont Upset The Hulk....

If you havent driven a 2010 Ram 2500 yet, do. You might be pretty impressed with the ride and how much more quite they are and not to mention how much more solid they feel all around. GM builds some pretty nice/cush trucks and the D-max is a good motor and has proven itself over the years.

One thing not to forget (Ive been selling these trucks for over 8 years), is that the Dodge boys arent going to sit around and be "last" in the hp/trq department. They may just be an increase in the power ratings mid model year in the 2011's.... Plus, the Dodge has the exhaust brake and its backed under the Cummins 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. The powertrain warranty's are the same with the GM's and Dodge's, cany go worng there. I havent been impressed driving a Dodge Heavy Duty, then when I drove one of these new 2010's last year and have been impressed ever since. No glow plugs on the Cummins either and the capability to start well below 0*. Like you had mentioned, no DEF and the additional cost to maintain it/refill it either.

Plus, if Im not mistaken, the Dodge is going to be a little expensive than a comparable GM truck (especially compared to the GMC's). Didnt mean to drag on, just throwing a few thoughts out for you to ponder on

Built in memory of MJC 1983-2009
1badRam06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I owned 2 D/A's a 01 and an 03. Got the 01 right off the LA car showroom floor, never do that again every peice of plastic trim, knobs had to be replaced, Theives!!! not to mention the blue stained seats from 20,000 people getting in and out. Had all the first year bugs, but at about 30,000 with no cat it ran like crazy. Wanted a 4x4 traded up in 03. So here is my take on this.

I think the GM is a real nice truck, they were the first to really make a diesel perform like a gasser, and a smooth ride on top of it. But I found that I always had things to replace in and out of warranty. My 03 had 2 sets of injectors by 80,000 miles. The additional warranty was up this year, and at $3000+ to replace the the injectors with the same faulty design ones again, I was done. I know later years didn't have these issues.

While the IFS is smooth, is it strong? In my experience I had to replace pitman arms,Steering shaft, left axle, and still felt that of all the parts of the truck I worried about the front end was going to be the weak part. I think GM is acknowledging that by beefing it up so who knows now.

Interior, yes its more car like in design, but look at the materials, its all hard plastic, and the crewcab is smaller then the Dodge crewcab.

Why Dodge? I have owned 5 new GM vehicles in the last 10 years, and all of them except my cargo Van (still under 30,000) have had multiple trips to the dealer for stuff. Both SUV's for transmission replacements under 50,000 miles?? I wanted a change, still to early to comment on the Dodge, time will tell. I have a healthy respect for Ford but no way on a first year engine.

What I like on my 2010 3500 4x4 Crewcab Laramie
Killer Looks, It just seems stronger Underneath is beefier, when I start this thing up I feel like its going to handle anything I throw at it. I tow a 5ver so I use it as a truck. The Engine always seems to have more then enough power, since its a Cummins I feel I have a tried and true (especially after 3 years of tweaking) piece of machinary.

The Cab is great, tons of storage areas, Great quality materials, stitched leather dash, U Connect is so much better then the GM Onstar phone, cab is noticably bigger ( I have small kids I can tell). And the ride for a 1 ton is good. The exhaust break, of course GM is offering that also

What I miss, Well to be honest the best part of the D/A for me was the A. The Allison was smoother, but I am still under a 1000 miles on my truck, and I have no complaints, its got a great feel to it, will see after a few more miles.

I think the IFS tracks better on the highway then solid straight axle, but I had heard this before I bought the Dodge, and know there are aftermarket parts in the range of $350 that will help this. On Star for the emergency airbag activation feature, thankfully I never needed it. Thats about it, I know the GM like Ford have Electronic Stability Control on their 2011 models and that is a nice feature, Dodge will probably add this at some point.

What really convinced me was, I have driven by the smae 3 Nieghbors who have the same Dodge trucks and have had them for 10 years, while I have been through 2 D/A's and 3 other GM's so It was time to spread the Love, and when I test drove the 2010 Dodge that was it. Plus in our RV travels the Cummins seemed to outnumber them all, but the D/A has made its place for sure.

Good Luck, we are fortunate that all 3 have stepped up their game,

PS I think the pricing on the 2011 GM's will be more then Dodge.
instantkarma is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantkarma View Post
I owned 2 D/A's a 01 and an 03. Got the 01 right off the LA car showroom floor, never do that again every peice of plastic trim, knobs had to be replaced, Theives!!! not to mention the blue stained seats from 20,000 people getting in and out. Had all the first year bugs, but at about 30,000 with no cat it ran like crazy. Wanted a 4x4 traded up in 03. So here is my take on this.

I think the GM is a real nice truck, they were the first to really make a diesel perform like a gasser, and a smooth ride on top of it. But I found that I always had things to replace in and out of warranty. My 03 had 2 sets of injectors by 80,000 miles. The additional warranty was up this year, and at $3000+ to replace the the injectors with the same faulty design ones again, I was done. I know later years didn't have these issues.

While the IFS is smooth, is it strong? In my experience I had to replace pitman arms,Steering shaft, left axle, and still felt that of all the parts of the truck I worried about the front end was going to be the weak part. I think GM is acknowledging that by beefing it up so who knows now.

Interior, yes its more car like in design, but look at the materials, its all hard plastic, and the crewcab is smaller then the Dodge crewcab.

Why Dodge? I have owned 5 new GM vehicles in the last 10 years, and all of them except my cargo Van (still under 30,000) have had multiple trips to the dealer for stuff. Both SUV's for transmission replacements under 50,000 miles?? I wanted a change, still to early to comment on the Dodge, time will tell. I have a healthy respect for Ford but no way on a first year engine.

What I like on my 2010 3500 4x4 Crewcab Laramie
Killer Looks, It just seems stronger Underneath is beefier, when I start this thing up I feel like its going to handle anything I throw at it. I tow a 5ver so I use it as a truck. The Engine always seems to have more then enough power, since its a Cummins I feel I have a tried and true (especially after 3 years of tweaking) piece of machinary.

The Cab is great, tons of storage areas, Great quality materials, stitched leather dash, U Connect is so much better then the GM Onstar phone, cab is noticably bigger ( I have small kids I can tell). And the ride for a 1 ton is good. The exhaust break, of course GM is offering that also

What I miss, Well to be honest the best part of the D/A for me was the A. The Allison was smoother, but I am still under a 1000 miles on my truck, and I have no complaints, its got a great feel to it, will see after a few more miles.

I think the IFS tracks better on the highway then solid straight axle, but I had heard this before I bought the Dodge, and know there are aftermarket parts in the range of $350 that will help this. On Star for the emergency airbag activation feature, thankfully I never needed it. Thats about it, I know the GM like Ford have Electronic Stability Control on their 2011 models and that is a nice feature, Dodge will probably add this at some point.

What really convinced me was, I have driven by the smae 3 Nieghbors who have the same Dodge trucks and have had them for 10 years, while I have been through 2 D/A's and 3 other GM's so It was time to spread the Love, and when I test drove the 2010 Dodge that was it. Plus in our RV travels the Cummins seemed to outnumber them all, but the D/A has made its place for sure.

Good Luck, we are fortunate that all 3 have stepped up their game,

PS I think the pricing on the 2011 GM's will be more then Dodge.

people always want there smooth shifing transmissions all it is, is slip that means to me the sooner i have to replace the transmission, when a carmaker makes a smooth trans because people will complain or thats what the people want makes it bad for us guys that use our trucks for pulling or from a performance standpoint
440dart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
zin
Cummins Nut

what made the choice for me was that ford and chevy are saying $500 in urea a year and you know that's an optimistic number so on top of oil changes and maintenance there is the extra bill of urea and having to keep it on the vehicle. and dodge was like $10K cheaper. I have 1700 miles on mine and love it, it pulls nice shifts hard and has a more solid ride but all that just gives me confidence in the truck

ps our transmissions are built by Allisson
Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like you're the type that buys a new truck every few years. In that case, I think it's safe to say that both trucks will work good for you. Just go for that initial gut feeling when you test drive. No urea injection is nice, but regen has its own downfalls. HP/TQ is similar in both trucks. It's not always about figures. Stock for stock, the Duramax is probably faster in the 1/4 mile but the Cummins is probably better for towing.

Last edited by wcbcruzer; 05-21-2010 at 05:56 AM.
wcbcruzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich909 View Post
Hello Everyone.

I'm a previous owner of a 2007.5 new body style GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Longbed Crewcab Diesel. I'm in the market for a new truck in the next couple of months. I was looking hard at the new Dodges and my decision was leading very hard towards that direction.
Looking at the information coming out on the new 2011 Chevy/GMC figures has me re-thinking I should wait and possibly pick one of these up instead.

Based on my research I'm going to list the pros of each and maybe you guys can help me with me decision.

2010/2011 Dodge Ram
Pros:
I like the exterior styling of the new Dodges more
Cummins Engine what more can you say on durability and serviceability
New Interior Looks real Nice
Rear Interiot more spacious
Price seems more affordable
Solid Axle Stronger more Durable
No DEF/Urea

2011 Chevy/GMC
397 HP/765 Torque
recent duramax's have had good relaibility
17,000 conventional towing 21,700 5th wheel towing
Allisson Transmission
IFS very comfortable and Smooth Ride

Having had a GMC before I was happy and impressed with it but was looking at something new and different (Dodge) however the new Chevy?GMC numbers have me rethinking.

Thanks,

Rich
You go on a dodge Cummins site asking what truck they like? of course they're going to say Dodge. if you really want to know, you need to go to a consumer review site and thoroughly test drive each one. Both Chevy and dodge have their ups and downs, it depends on what you use trucks for. For example, I tow/haul occasionally and live down dirt roads and after doing much research I decided on a Ford 250.
hgasca is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich909 View Post
Hello Everyone.

Thanks,

Rich
You go on a dodge Cummins site asking what truck they like? of course they're going to say Dodge. if you really want to know, you need to go to an UNBIASED consumer review site(s) and then thoroughly test drive each one. Both Chevy and dodge have their ups and downs, it depends on what you use the trucks for. For example, I tow/haul occasionally and live down dirt roads and after doing much research I decided on a Ford 250.

Last edited by hgasca; 05-21-2010 at 03:37 AM.
hgasca is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I was at a campground outside of Charleston SC 2 weeks ago. Of the tow vehicles on the premis 95 percent were Dodge Trucks. Only 2 Fords and 1 Chevy. That speaks volumes about whose truck is best for use as a TRUCK.
kevinc2004 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Inquisitive

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
In the oilfield, I'd say about 85-90% of the hotshot trucks are Dodges. That, unto itself, should sell someone on a Dodge. And those guys pull and haul really heavy loads all day, everyday.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
et2
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgasca View Post
You go on a dodge Cummins site asking what truck they like? of course they're going to say Dodge. if you really want to know, you need to go to a consumer review site and thoroughly test drive each one. Both Chevy and dodge have their ups and downs, it depends on what you use trucks for. For example, I tow/haul occasionally and live down dirt roads and after doing much research I decided on a Ford 250.
Yeah I noticed a Dodge in your picture . So why are you here? We can only guess I suppose. Have you lost your way too.
et2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2 View Post
Yeah I noticed a Dodge in your picture . So why are you here? We can only guess I suppose. Have you lost your way too.
Actually, that's a Ford Super Duty in his avatar. Ford copied some styling from the 1994 Ram redesign and used it when designing their 1999 Super Duty trucks. Ford also copied Dodge and Jeep going from a leaf spring front suspension to one with a live front axle and coil springs.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.