Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tail pipe rusted out at muffler

7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  7492 
#1 ·
I'm having a hard time accepting that a four year old truck with 72,000 miles needs the tailpipe replaced due to it rusting out at the muffler exit location already. Thanks Michigan salt covered winter roads I guess. Called NAPA near me and they wanted $235.99 :surprise:for a Walker replacement pipe #55606, found the same Walker pipe for $162 shipped through Rock Auto. This should be fun to get the rusted part out of the muffler. The tailpipe is just hanging by a thread of metal and the OE hanger bracket.

#3 ·
When I did my delete at 72000 miles my tailpipe section that goes over the rear axle had holes in it from rust. I ended up just cutting my exhaust up to get it out because the clamps and bolts were rusted to s#$@. And my truck has been in the south all its left. Either way I'm now running a turbo back stainless steel exhaust so hopefully no more rust. If I start seeing rust I'm going to attempt to paint the whole exhaust black with high temp spray paint.

#5 ·
I went with the 409SS Diamond Eye down pipe & intermediate pipe when I did my deletes opting to keep the stock muffler & tail pipe. Could not find a stainless OEM replacement tail pipe this time around. Guess next time I do a complete TB exhaust out of stainless rather than piece pipes...

#6 ·
I'm looking at the Magnaflow SS PF back tail pipe, it comes with the muffler, does anyone know if this muffler is a lot louder than the OEM muffler, and does changing the exhaust cause any codes ?

#7 ·
I saw that one, I doubt it's not much louder because there isn't much to the OE muffler as far sound reduction goes.

Next time around in 4 years when this one rust's out probably, I may just go stainless if I can find a reasonable priced 409SS Diamond Eye to match the rest of the 409SS piping underneath.

#8 ·
The tailpipe on my truck broke off because it was so rusty only about 65K miles on it.....

#9 ·
For what it's worth my dad is on the third tail section on his 09 with 58k on the clock. This time he went with stainless so we'll see how that holds up.

#10 ·
I'm contemplating pulling off the stock muffler & extension pipe and putting in a stainless FTE resonator from the diamond eye intermediate pipe to the new tail pipe beucase the extension pipe is rusted pretty good and it will probably be the next piece to rust through.

Kicking myself for not going with a complete stainless exhaust kit when I bought the diamond eye down pipe & intermediate pipe.

#11 ·
I just put on a 4" elbow. no need for tailpipe. 409 stainless surface rusts, 304 is the best but nobody makes one for our trucks. do not run truck without something behind the muffler though, will melt e brake cable.

#12 ·
Same deal here. Deleted with Flo Pro pipes and kept factory muffler and tailpipe. When the tailpipe let go (more like sheared off at the muffler - not as much rust as the rest of the system). I went turbo back AFE aluminized. The shop I picked the parts up from said they have been migrating away from stainless back to the aluminized. Longevity is about the same and the aluminized is less brittle and less "maintenance". Not sure how accurate those claims are, but I can say the AFE muffler is way louder than the factory muffler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.