Hemi to cummins swap - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 2003/2004 General Discussion
2003/2004 General Discussion General Discussion for the Early (2003/2004) Common Rail No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hemi to cummins swap

So ive been toying with the idea for some time now since I love everything about my truck except that its not a diesel. Ive done a little research and it can be done but as long as its a similar truck to avoid the most headaches. I am really thinking about it now since I found this truck locally and its pretty much exactly identical as mine except for the engine.

2003 Dodge Ram

So my questions are how hard would the swap be if I got this truck and is the price they are asking a good price for a truck in that condition?
Thanks for any input
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

it would be way easier to sell your truck and buy a cummins. i dont think i have ever found anyone who has swapped a hemi or 4.7 from a 1500 to a cummins in a 1500. it would be sweet dont get me wrong but it would be basically pulling a whole 2500 cummins front end and welding it onto a 1500 hemi/4.7 front end along with swapping all the modules, all the wiring and all the linkages. hope this helps and anyone else that comments back feel free to correct me.
04 2500 305/555, 48RE, 4" Lift, 4" Turbo Back Straight, Banks PowerPDA, Boost Fooler, Adjustable Boost Elbow, Silencer Ring MIA, 20" Ballistic Jesters and 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers, stripe on bed and MONSTER emblem on tailgate
butcher247 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

It sounds to me like it wouldn't be very cost effective. IMHO
Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

butcher, first of all my truck is a 2500 hemi look at my sig lol, so it wouldnt been near that difficult but i guess not as cool as a cummins in a half ton 3rd gen either haha

carl, ya thats what i was thinking to that alot for what i get but then ive also put around 3k into my truck this past year with tires and parts so kinda dont want to get rid it of either. my plan would be to since the doner truck isnt that bad swap the hemi back into it if i could and make it a f*ck around with 4x4 pretty much. would be ALOT of work for both trucks but since there both complete and the exact same truck pretty much should just be mostly wrench time
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Hmmmm...I wonder if the front springs and suspension/spindles is different cause of the heavier engine? You might be switching whole front ends as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

the springs are different for a cummins and a hemi but thats it, about everything else on the trucks is the same
Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

No way, no how, would'nt do it. In my former life as an automotive mechanic, I performed engine swaps, and even with detailed planning there were always surprises that complicated the project and increased the cost. These were also much simpler gas for gas swaps. Two small examples: Does your gauge cluster even have the indicator light for the glow plugs and if it is the same cluster as diesel, is all the wiring there for it? Think of all the changes that will be necessary to the fuel delivery system alone. If your not bothered by the enormity of the project, more power to you! But I think "Butcher247" is right, you'd be money ahead to just look for replacement with a Cummins.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

cummins dont have glow plugs last time i check i may be wrong on that i thought they had a heating pad or something along those lines...
hellsace07 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

they have a grid heater,

i like to refer to it as a waffle iron
04 quad cab, long box, 4x4, 5spd, south bend clutch, upgraded main shaft, egde box, diablo predator, fass fuel system, afe intake 4" straight pipe, pyro and boost gauges, pac brake, 5" pro comp lift, 37" toyos.
25jon25 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 04:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

ya thats what i thought the other guy that they had glow plugs but i think superford man should do the swap you will be very happy with the out come just some time and wrenching and a few mods
hellsace07 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

WHat about 4bt? that would be plenty for a 1500
04 quad cab, long box, 4x4, 5spd, south bend clutch, upgraded main shaft, egde box, diablo predator, fass fuel system, afe intake 4" straight pipe, pyro and boost gauges, pac brake, 5" pro comp lift, 37" toyos.
25jon25 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sorry, my mistake, I guess I spent to much time dealing with those worthless glow plugs. Heat plate, heat plate, heat plate. Thank you Cummins for the heat plate.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.